Thread: Our Trainz friends who have passed on!

Blog Entries

Default Our Trainz friends who have passed on!

Hello Community --

After almost being one that could have passed on because of my serious health issues in the last 6 months, I began
    recently
    thinking about dear friends, in which I still have their emails and PM posts stored -- Ben Dorsey and Herbert (
    VinnyBarb) --- great creators -- Ben, the master trestle building!

I have had private conversation via email and pms with these two gentlemen -- we talked about the community, private life, and especially content creations -- Both of these gentlemen has great knowledge in their right about CC, and I learned a lot from them! Ben, I spend the most time with -- he created dozens of Marsz contents, and he was my go-too guy for animation contents! I really missed them both, considering I never met them face to face! For me, I think that's the sad part of internet life --- You make great friends, see them in pictures, and perhaps have a phone conversation; But it's so difficult to hang out with them due to distances!

So guys, anyone from the trainz-world since 2001 in which you have connected with, and have passed on? Tell us your stories if you don't mind!

God bless
    Ish

United States of America, Michigan, Ann Arbor
    Blog Entries

Not mush of a story, but I do recall hanging out with Harry_James_Potter in the old Auran IRC chat before he passed on. He has a monument someone made in his honor on the DLS.

peter
    ~Peter

I do not provide support via PM.
    Now at a new location!
    www.americantrainz.com

The sinister fat controller, Barney Spoljaric. We beta tested together for years and spent a lot of time talking in chat or by phone. My only regret is that when he was in Seattle one summer for a few days I couldn't take off work to go down and meet him in person He was a great friend, even if it was by long distance.
    Chuck

Remembering Wazzer, sadly missed.

Wazzer was very involved with TOTR, and I met Wazzer at a Canberra TOTR. I was subsequently privileged to join Wazzer, NSWGR_46Class (aka Bearcat) and Colin on the stand at later Canberra TOTR events. Wazzer was a very gentle soul, and was very patient with the children. The kids always circled him at these events, as he encouraged them to try out our Trainz demo's.

Wazzer enjoyed the feeling of community amongst Trainz enthusiasts, and organised regular Trainzer get togethers in Sydney, and between different Trainzer groups. I always found Wazzer a great inspiration in my own Trainz work. I know there are others who were similarly inspired by him. After I relocated to the Blue Mountains Wazzer visited several times, to check on my Trainz progress, and offer encouraging words.
    Last edited by FootplatePhil; August 6th, 2018 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PerRock View Post
    Not mush of a story, but I do recall hanging out with Harry_James_Potter in the old Auran IRC chat before he passed on. He has a monument someone made in his honor on the DLS.

peter
    Yes, Harry_James_Potter ... a prolific contributor and a great help. He *does* have a monument somwhere...
    Speak the truth, follow right conduct; all else will fall into place.

United States of America, Georgia, Rocky Face
    Blog Entries

Don't forget about bobcass, whose pictures of steam locomotives were always impressive. His legacy has not been forgotten on the Forums, as he started the thread 'Steamshots USA..Let's See Some Steam Shots' thread in the screenshots section of the Forums.
    Let's also not forget BNSF50, whose railroad crossings have appeared on many routes set in the USA or Canada. People have also forgotten that he also created some tunnels that do not snap to the ground, which most tunnels in Trainz do. His tunnels allowed for tunnels to be made in situations where using tunnels that snap to the ground wouldn't work, though you need to use dig holes in order to get them to 'punch thru' the ground.
    There are also several members of the Forum who have left and have not been seen in a long time.
    IT'S FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE!

I have to mention andi06, a prolific creator and coder.

Sadly missed.

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    The sinister fat controller, Barney Spoljaric. We beta tested together for years and spent a lot of time talking in chat or by phone. My only regret is that when he was in Seattle one summer for a few days I couldn't take off work to go down and meet him in person He was a great friend, even if it was by long distance.
    +1. Great virtual friend although never got a chance to meet in person for a beer or two. Back in the early days of BVE, MSTS and Trainz for a while we ran a joint forum hosted on his Crotrainz site. His love of the Swiss/Austrian "Krokodil" electric locos was legendary - I remember him being mortified back when the forum avatar changed with the post count, to find he had exceeded 400 posts and the green Krokodil avatar turned into the TEE power car which looked like a jelly bean.
    Digging away in TRS2019...

Blog Entries

And let us not forger Elvenor and his many creations, including his animated horses.
    John,
    (A bear of little brain)

Hey Ish, could you put all the mentioned people into your original post please? Good to have them altogether in one post

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    +1. Great virtual friend although never got a chance to meet in person for a beer or two. Back in the early days of BVE, MSTS and Trainz for a while we ran a joint forum hosted on his Crotrainz site. His love of the Swiss/Austrian "Krokodil" electric locos was legendary - I remember him being mortified back when the forum avatar changed with the post count, to find he had exceeded 400 posts and the green Krokodil avatar turned into the TEE power car which looked like a jelly bean.
    I bet he's driving that Krokodil up there or somewhere right now.
    Chuck

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by amigacooke View Post
    I have to mention andi06, a prolific creator and coder.

Sadly missed.
    Wow, he's gone? Never worked with him, but knew him via reading his posts from the very early days of trainz --- Truly a great creator and programmer!

Quote Originally Posted by amigacooke View Post
    Hey Ish, could you put all the mentioned people into your original post please? Good to have them altogether in one post
    Hello Amigacooke, sir

Ben and Herbert are the only one's that I knew on a personal level, who have passed away in recent years! I, almost, was a goner myself; but I guess it wasn't my time, since I believe everyone has a set day --

I know there's more out there, and hopefully folks share their stories! -- this thread is more remembering those who share and enjoy trainz with other trainz uses!

I bet these guys are looking down from Heaven, saying … I am still here in the forum. Etc!

Take Care
    Ish

Blog Entries

Billegulla - Bill Fock

Bobcass another one that's gone, not unnoticed.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

There's also Aardvark.

One great guy we all sadly miss his presence in the forums here. He always had a kind word to say even during the most trying times.

I too miss Ben, Herbert, Alistair, and Andi. They were all glue here in the forums up until recently.

Sadly like everything in the world, nothing is forever including our own lives. Cherish people close to you while you can because they're not going to alway be there.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    TS12 Build: 61388
    T:ANE Build: 90955