Windows 10 Log-in?

ish6

Since 2001
Hello Guyz --

I have tried almost everything, so perhaps someone has the answer here:

When I turn on the computer it opens with two accounts which ask for username / pw -- I would like to delete one of these accounts, but everything I have tried has worked!

I looked for answers at Microsoft, among others, but their directions doesn't address the log in into windows issue!

Perhaps someone can lead me here!

Thanks in advance
Ish

I take it it is not as easy as:
Open the Settings app located on the Start menu's sidebar, click or touch Accounts, and navigate to Family and other users. Click on the account you want to remove from your computer, and click Remove. You'll be prompted to confirm, and if you really want to continue, click Delete user account and data.

I take it it is not as easy as:
Open the Settings app located on the Start menu's sidebar, click or touch Accounts, and navigate to Family and other users. Click on the account you want to remove from your computer, and click Remove. You'll be prompted to confirm, and if you really want to continue, click Delete user account and data.

Hi,

I think I haven't tried yet Delete User account --- I'll try and see what happends!

Ish

Make sure that you retain at least one account that has Administrator rights and permissions.

It is probably sensible to have a Microsoft account with admin level features available on the machine. A full Microsoft account can do a few things that other accounts can't do even local admin ones.

Cheerio John

Very useful information.

I have used the net user command in a batch with auto-confirming yes to periodically remove old accounts from my servers. Seeing the command in the article brings back memories! This hasn't changed since Microsoft Network add-on for DOS just before Windows for Workgroups came out. Good old LANMAN stuff!

I've done the same using the manage computer applet - right-click on Computer, pick Manage Computer.

I've never tried this for power shell. Powershell is quite a the powerful thing to have. I only wish we had this back in the old DOS days when we wrote so many batch files.

I have two accounts on my PC. A local account login and an Microsoft account login, which allows for sharing resources across different computers, remote desktop, and other stuff. I RD my from my laptop all the time so I can Trainz from my deck. :)

A note regarding the accounts side. I've found that I have two accounts under the same username - it seems to be connected to the now-defunct Homegroup tool. I'd advise caution if you have the same situation as it classes both as a Microsoft Account on mine and when using either it logs in the main account.

Shane

Full tutorial on deleting accounts at Ten Forums https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5464-delete-user-account-windows-10-a.html
Yes I am a member there, thus the plug ;o)

Hello Malc --

Read through all options and nothing helped -- Ever the command prompt. Etc

I wish I can take a picture -- when I turn on PC this window opens with ADM account and a guest account -- the guest account seems not to show up anywhere in the options I have followed --- In the command prompt settings, it did show 2 accounts, but the guest is the Adm option, which that can't be since Adm is already assigned to my name -- Hope this makes sense!

Ish

Hello Malc --

Read through all options and nothing helped -- Ever the command prompt. Etc

I wish I can take a picture -- when I turn on PC this window opens with ADM account and a guest account -- the guest account seems not to show up anywhere in the options I have followed --- In the command prompt settings, it did show 2 accounts, but the guest is the Adm option, which that can't be since Adm is already assigned to my name -- Hope this makes sense!

Ish

In windows a guest account is something rather special. It is always present on all machines and you cannot delete it. I'm surprised it is visible.

Any account can be elevated to admin level. Add another account without an email address and see what happens. I would open a Microsoft email account and add it just as a precaution.

Cheerio John

The Administrator Account should now only be used in exceptional circumstances and is by default disabled, it has more power than a User account that is a member of Administrators which no longer have full admin powers, yes I know it is illogical. Users with Admin privileges do not have the same clout as in say XP.
You should have at least one User Account that is in the Administrators group.
Guest account should only be a member of Guests not admin or anything else.

It is possible that you have a local account and a Microsoft one which might account for the two logins? I only use local accounts on my Main machines and a Microsoft one on my Insider PC although that's not running an insider build at present.

Maybe use a more traditional method to see what accounts have what access?
Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Local Users and Groups > Users and have a look at what you have there.

Click on each type to see what groups they are in, it is normal to have Default account which should be disabled and WDAGUtillity Account which is used by Windows Defender.

In windows a guest account is something rather special. It is always present on all machines and you cannot delete it. I'm surprised it is visible.

Any account can be elevated to admin level. Add another account without an email address and see what happens. I would open a Microsoft email account and add it just as a precaution.

Cheerio John

Hello John --

Noted, sir ---

Thank you, U gave may a couple of things to try!!!

Take Care
Ish

The Administrator Account should now only be used in exceptional circumstances and is by default disabled, it has more power than a User account that is a member of Administrators which no longer have full admin powers, yes I know it is illogical. Users with Admin privileges do not have the same clout as in say XP.
You should have at least one User Account that is in the Administrators group.
Guest account should only be a member of Guests not admin or anything else.

It is possible that you have a local account and a Microsoft one which might account for the two logins? I only use local accounts on my Main machines and a Microsoft one on my Insider PC although that's not running an insider build at present.

Maybe use a more traditional method to see what accounts have what access?
Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Local Users and Groups > Users and have a look at what you have there.

Click on each type to see what groups they are in, it is normal to have Default account which should be disabled and WDAGUtillity Account which is used by Windows Defender.

Hello Malc --

Malc post hit the target --- the issue is here!

This here in bold is option 3 from the site you've recommended, Malc; However, mysteriously the
Local Users and Groups is NOT listed! No matter what I do, ex: search pc, is not here! Unfortunately the problem lies in my second PC -- right now using the primary pc which the pc I use for T12, 3dmax, etc … Later today I'll check second Pc again, and see what I can do -- maybe take a screen picture with my phone and post it here!

Take Care
Ish

Hey Guys --

See pix? I want to eliminate "Other User" --

http://
4dXlp39.jpg

4dXlp39

4dXlp39

Last edited:
Back