Trainz and "Gameplay" - Feedback thread

My answers may sound like a boilerplate cutout from many of the others already posted. I'm mostly a Surveyor user, but will venture on more than one occasion to the other side and spend time in Driver, mostly to enjoy the fruits of my hard earned labor as I've built, merged, and reworked the routes, and to seek out and note where there are glaring mistakes that need repairs.

Recently I've done more merging than actual building. It's a challenging not only in getting things lined up realistically, but also blending scenery so there's little difference between the sections. I have a couple of extensive merged routes with one topping out at nearly 200 miles with the other at around 100 miles.

Is there a particular built-in session that you like? (and what makes this one special?)

None in particular. I've used them to see how things are done, but that's about it. The fact that we can't modify the routes to improve them, or use them as merger candidates, makes them very limited with what we can do with them. KSC is to me a testing route to test new locomotives and for beta testing.

Is there a session on the DLS that you enjoy?

Very few if any. If I have downloaded routes, I've mostly eyed them for merger and acquisition reasons or to see how something is done.

For routes and sessions, I prefer those I've created or purchased from Jointed Rail. Scratchy's latest creations truly set the standard that others should follow.

If you create your own sessions, what is a typical set-up? (e.g. do you use navigation points?)

I make extensive use of the Schedule Library and Copy Commands from to keep my AI scheduled commands organized. I wish there was a better interface for adding commands to the command bar because clicking and adding commands and track marks becomes tedious especially on extensive routes.

For commands, I use the bog standard: Drive To/Navigate To/ Drive to Trackmark/Navigate to Trackmark, Load, Instant Load, Instant Load Locomotives, Max Speed if needed (This makes big coal drags realistically slow), wait until, and a few others. I never use Navigation points because they’re difficult, clumsy perhaps is a better word, to setup, and they remind me of a game like Mario Brothers where the player has to collect coins for points.

Do you only ever drive a single train or do you like to jump from one to another?

My routes are setup with up to 25 AI drivers plus others visiting from time to time via portals. These through trains represent the line traffic with the setup AI running commuter trains, and other feeder traffic.

With the AI running, I'll do the local switching with the aim to keep the switcher and the local train out of the way of through traffic. When I'm done switching in one of the yards, I'll take over one of the through freights, uncouple the locomotives and send the AI drivers to the engine house for servicing while I switch out the freight wagons from the train. When I'm done, I have the AI driver couple to his newer consist, and continue on the way to the destination portal. There are times when I'll tag along for a ride and enjoy the scenery. It's great seeing the scenery and enjoying the ride, and other times when it’s necessary to take over an AI train to untangle a mess they’ve made.

Do you use CMTM (Car Movement and Traffic Management System) ? Or perhaps model railroad card systems?

I have used it, but need to delve into it a bit more.

Are there certain rules that you use when making your own gameplay?
Schedule Library
Trackview Rule
Quick Drive Rule (So I can set the time, and add consists, add drivers, etc. as needed)

and a few others I can't think of at the moment.

I believe in KISS

How do you use commodities in your sessions?

Yes. I use them to add weight to the trains but nothing in particular for any industries most of the time except for coal coming out of mines, which I either send off somewhere via the portals, or to the local power plants. Most of the tank cars and boxcars on my routes carry “stuff” which has no particular destination. I’ll spot hoppers on a siding near a grain elevator, or near a brewery, but they may or may not contain any commodities.

Do you only use Quickdrive? (and why?)

Not quick drive, I exit to the menu and enter Driver. This is perhaps an old habit from the TRS2004 days because I found QD to be very unstable. As it is now, I find it awkward and clumsy to use and missing the rules and commands I've added to my driver's sessions, and also because the full driver's session already has all my consists setup throughout the route and I don't need to add stuff all over again.

How much AI traffic do you like in your sessions?

As I mentioned above, I have up to 25 AI drivers running on the larger routes. The smaller ones may have about 6 or 8 AI drivers active with me doing some driving and switching. I have noticed that the additional drivers do begin to bog things down and then they become stupid, as if the AI are actually intelligent, and start running signals, ignoring track marks, and doing other idiot things, which ruing the operations.

Have you tried multiplayer? (What did you like/dislike?)

Never tried it. I'm not interested in this and would rather "play" by myself and not deal with others buggering me.

Anything else you'd like to throw in to the discussion.

The inability, or at least I'm unaware of how, to setup an actual driver schedule based on time is a big detriment driving, and having this as a goal-seeking thing is not what I'm interested in either. I hate the goal-seeking scenarios because that reminds me of the old cartridge games for the Atari 800. The same with navigation points, which remind me of little coins floating in space to grab as we whiz along. (Nothing personal and I hope I don't offend those session creators that use them). I will say they are useful for learning a route or session operations and tutorials, but for regular operations, it's annoying, and for that reason I turn them off after I've learned the route and operations on routes that use them.

Having drivers moving about as if they're moving at will, is not how real railroads operate. What we need is something where we can add in consists, and simply assign a start time and destination stations. The distance to the destination stations, determines the arrival time and everything else fits in between that. If there is more than one driver, these additional drivers will automatically be offset behind the first so that they don't conflict. What happens when other non-scheduled traffic, such as a manifest freight that runs as needed, is introduced is another story and that can bring up a whole different operations variable.

Related to this is drivers switching their own junction levers as the drivers approach them is also not how real railroads work with exceptions of switching lines, small branch line operations, and tram lines where manual switching is used.
Great strides have been made with interlocking towers, which require an advanced CS degree to configure, however, all said and done, the true answer is the ability to configure a real dispatcher operation with a secondary panel open showing the track setup as a dispatcher panel would for a section or division of a route.

In driver I hate it when I click on an AI driver and end up in space floating above the AI consist and always facing the back end of the locomotive. Instead we should face the locomotive, but at an angle we've chosen. Let's say for example, we have an AI driver moving along. We have a close, but not on top of view of the train moving along. If we click on that train, we should remain at that viewing angle and distance instead of being sent off to space above. This viewing is critical to such things such as switching and coupling operations. Related to this is changing the camera to a tracking or trackside camera? If we're in free roaming mode, we should remain in free roaming camera regardless of what consist we click on. This is critical too for the same reasons mentioned as well as untangling multiple drivers if that situation occurs.

T:ANE has come a long way and in many cases is light years ahead of where Trainz was in the TRS2004 days, yet in many ways even with all the improvements, we're still running the same program from 14 years or more ago.

To keep this short:

Build large complex routes (for example Cleveland Ohio and vicinity) and set up AI trains, as many as 50-60 (or more when an upgraded computer permits),
Then ride trains (cab or coach) or lurk trackside; I don't manually drive them.
Never use DLS or built-in routes or sessions; prefer to create my own.
Don't use CMTM or any other commodity utilities; in fact I delete these from rolling stock config files whenever encountered as they just seem to cause problems down the road and seem to be a waste of processor time.
Use Quickdrive to modify time of day and weather; otherwise pretty much leave it alone.
Don't use multiplayer.
Don't make "gameplay."

Regarding "Anything else you'd like to throw in to the discussion," please consider giving users the option to completely turn off the red/green arrows that flash when junctions are accessed. Even in daytime these shatter illusion of reality when trackside trainwatching; at night the effect is horrifying (giant flaming arrows appearing in the sky? What is this, Armageddon?)

--Lamont

With hope of reaching certain goals ...

Hi Tony!

1) I like the “Niddertalbahn” route because I take from it the assets that do not offer problems with TANE. But I prefer to play on my own routes.
2)
No.
3) I do not use navigation points. Only use AI and manual operation of multiple simultaneous trains.
4) I jump to any train (AI or manually operated).
5) I do not know CMTM or other systems, but I would like to find a practical guide to be able to use them and expand the possibilities of my routes. I prefer to create new scenarios or new routes. Then I watch them (in AI operation) to assess how realistic the created scenario is, and correct any operational problems. For that reason I need to know the systems of additional rules, so that the trains behave like the real ones.
6) I only use the rules for AI that appear in the driver and ruler editor.
7) I use commodities according to how I am setting up my route. They are usually used by AI trains; but from time to time, I also use manually some of those trains.
8) On very few occasions I used Quickdrive. Normally I do not use it at all.
9) The more AI trains are circulating on my route, the better! This gives the route much more realism, making it more satisfying. For that reason I need to know the systems of additional rules, to allow greater interaction between AI trains and that also allows me to operate them manually when I want.
10) I do not use Multiplayer because I do not speak English or German, and the trains that I like are those of Germany. Then I should use some of those languages that I do not master with agility (for a German it would become boring to play with me. I am preparing this list of answers with Google Translate and I am transcribing the sentences into a Word page to verify that what I want to say is correctly expressed...). But anyway I usually play alone with multiple AI trains.
11) There is a problem that has been unresolved in Trainz for a long time. It is the incompatibility of assets of a certain "age" that - although it is approved to appear in the DLS - cause problems of operation, especially in large routes or with many elements together in it. I have no way to identify those assets, except for their age. But the funny thing is that there are assets of Build Version 2.9 and even 1.3 that even today work perfectly within TANE and within large routes! That's why I use the Built-In routes to extract the assets that do not have errors.

It can be deduced that by the way I use Trainz, a powerful PC is necessary. Now I have it (Intel i7 8700k, GeForce 1080 Ti Gaming X 11 GB, Optane 32 GB, Samsung 960 Pro M.2 500 GB, etc.), and that's why I want to be able to exploit that power to do what I always wanted to achieve with Trainz: a great realism with views of distances of up to 10,000 or 12,000 meters!

Best regards!

John Charles

Some things to discuss include:
  • Is there a particular built-in session that you like? (and what makes this one special?)
  • Is there a session on the DLS that you enjoy?
  • If you create your own sessions, what is a typical set-up? (e.g. do you use navigation points?)
  • Do you only ever drive a single train or do you like to jump from one to another?
  • Do you use CMTM (Car Movement and Traffic Management System) ? Or perhaps model railroad card systems?
  • Are there certain rules that you use when making your own gameplay?
  • How do you use commodities in your sessions?
  • Do you only use Quickdrive? (and why?)
  • How much AI traffic do you like in your sessions?
  • Have you tried multiplayer? (What did you like/dislike?)
  • Anything else you'd like to throw in to the discussion.

Answered in order of the questions:

1. At the moment, I don't have a favourite built-in session, as I also want to love the route. If I love the route, then there might be a chance I'll love the sessions;)
2. No; again, it depends on the route part as well
3. My sessions, I use navigation points to help guide the user as people doesn't seem to be able to read anymore like the older days..
4. I like to drive one train and let the AI drive the rest, as again, would like to try to make them interactive, and realistic as much as possible
5. Never used this before, or any card system. I do plan to someday give it a try;)
6. I use the navigation points, objectives, message popups, consist check, trigger rule and a few more that I find useful.
7. If I can manage to squeeze this in, I always try to as it adds more fun to the session.
8. No, I don't use quick drive at all.
9. AI traffic depends on the route size really. IT can be anywhere from 1 - 25, maybe more.
10. I done multiplayer a few times, but I'm not a fan of it as it takes up time from my route / session development. I usually go AFK if I have to join one as I have other things to take care of than play Kickstart County all the time...
11. Hmmm, good question. Don't have anything here to add

Hiawathamr

How much AI traffic do you like in your sessions?

As I mentioned above, I have up to 25 AI drivers running on the larger routes. The smaller ones may have about 6 or 8 AI drivers active with me doing some driving and switching. I have noticed that the additional drivers do begin to bog things down and then they become stupid, as if the AI are actually intelligent, and start running signals, ignoring track marks, and doing other idiot things, which ruing the operations.

Great strides have been made with interlocking towers, which require an advanced CS degree to configure, however, all said and done, the true answer is the ability to configure a real dispatcher operation with a secondary panel open showing the track setup as a dispatcher panel would for a section or division of a route.

T:ANE has come a long way and in many cases is light years ahead of where Trainz was in the TRS2004 days, yet in many ways even with all the improvements, we're still running the same program from 14 years or more ago.

Hi John!

I fully agree with what is stated here.

Best regards.

• Is there a particular built-in session that you like? (and what makes this one special?)
  • If you create your own sessions, what is a typical set-up? (e.g. do you use navigation points?)
  • Do you only ever drive a single train or do you like to jump from one to another?
  • Do you use CMTM (Car Movement and Traffic Management System) ? Or perhaps model railroad card systems?

1. I do not use the current built in sessions except to explore new and perhaps different ways of doing things. I did enjoy the TS12 built in session by TUME "Municipal Transit System" which I have transferred over to TANE.
2. There are a number of DLS routes I enjoy, mainly those with good sessions involving AI trains. Also I enjoy looking at some of them just to get some new ideas on design, texturing, and scenery.
3. All the routes/sessions I create for my own use employ lots of train action using AI for all the consists. Use a lot of track marks, stations, industries in the sessions. I like using lots of portals.
4. I very rarely "drive" a train since mine are all AI controlled. I do enjoying however moving from train to train to see their progress and make sure that they have not encountered any unexpected errors along the way.
5. What is CMTM? Why do I need to use it?
6. The only rules I follow is that I want lots of action in the way of many trains all following out their routes so when everything is done I can just sit back and enjoy the action.
7. Most of my routes/sessions make use of industries and passenger stations and the various goods they either make or consume.
8. I have never really used Quick Drive - maybe because I haven't really explored its full potential. I am not sure what it would add to my routes.
9. All my sessions are AI controlled. I have several trolley based routes/sessions where I have 60 - 80 trolleys running under AI control serving all parts of a city and the surrounding communities (like the old time interurban trolley system). These routes are fun to build and fun to run. It is a interesting challenge to program the routes and the trolley to run on their own while interacting with each other and making their assigned stops at the stations. The one issue I have with sessions with large numbers of programmed consists is that the sound gets very intermittent, especially if the number of consists get greater then 20.
10. Never have had an interest in multiplayer.
11. Almost all my routes are carryovers from previous versions all the way back to TRS2004. From my perspective TANE SP3 is the best performing version to date. The big thumbs up for me is the greatly increased draw distance. I can still run some of my routes in TRS 2004 all the way through TS12 and it is really annoying now to see the scenery in those versions suddenly pop into view.

This brings me to a point that I have been trying to find a way to fix. There has been a lot of discussion in the past two or three years about how many of the old assets kill the frame rates. The question for me is how do you identify which ones they are. As pointed out in a previous response many assets with build versions 2.9 and 1.3 seem to do a great job with not much impact on frame rates. So what is the best and most efficient way of finding those frame rate killers without undertaking an analysis of each and every asset one by one by opening the asset and previewing its triangle count, draw count ……… etc. I don't have enough years left in me to do this for over 10,000 assets I use. I wish there was an "efficiency meter" available which could help me identify the culprits that each the frame rates. I would hate to throw assets just because they are pre 3.5 or whatever that build may be. There are not modern assets created to replace many of the old one. Take all the assets that Drake created - I use some of his assets in almost every route I build. Are they frame rate killers, I don't thinks so for the most part, but the fact is that many of his assets cannot be replace with anything else (his warehouse districts, large farm lands, and his many housing developments as an example). So as trainz continues to grow and become more complex it is probably very true that these inefficient assets need to be replaced. But that's sort of like saying that we need to reduce world hunger. Where are the tools that will help us do it.

But all in all I have been enjoying trainz for over 14 years and have enjoyed the journey - both its ups and downs - and for me TANE SP3 has been a great step forward.

The conclusive proof of what has been said is when we try to see Trainz in 3D mode. Nvidia registered this game when it came out as TRS 2004. Now we can see it in 3D thanks to that record ... It seems that it should be adapted to current technology, is not it?

Hopefully soon there will be news in that regard.

Regards.

I mostly use my own creations because I like my scenicking better than most of the built-ins. That said, I do use built-ins from previous Trainz versions, particularly The DeCon and the Lincoln Secondary, which are no longer built ins but which I like because they are prototypical. I activated the Legacy of the BN one, but don't actually operate it -- mostly I just use the content -- and I bought the Tehachapi layout, which is gorgeous (and local to me, so I've actually been there) but turns out to be operationally not very interesting to me. I don't like the built-ins that look like a model railroad layout bowl of spaghetti. Trainz allows you to do prototypical configurations, so why not do so? I also am not especially interested in long-distance running because I like industry switching. And I am only interested in North American railroading, so most of the built-in routes and payware routes don't interest me and I haven't activated them (wish I could get them off the route list!).

I mostly run my own routes, and my sessions are all "a day in the life of", so mostly a way freight running out and back or yard to yard with switching along the way. The only time I run more than one train is in The Saginaw Sub, which is so huge it needs three road jobs and a switcher job (at Plymouth). I use one or two AI trains on most of my routes and sessions to do meets and passes of my own train or deliver cars to a yard.
I haven't figured out how to use navigation points and all the fancy dialogue and tasks that the newer payware sessions have, but because I am just a train crew working a switch list I don't need the prompts and rewards.

I wish I had a car management system that could generate switchlists (very tedious by hand), but I don't know where to find one -- the one I tried to buy never downloaded, so... Would appreciate advice, will research CMTM, which I don't know anything about.

I use Basic Industry and Multiple Industry tracks alot in my routes -- I like the operational difference between loaded and empty cars. However, I do think the list of commodities has gotten out of hand -- why do we need to know that a boxcar is full of "boxed refrigerators" or some such when you can't see the load -- most loads can be "general goods", only a handful of industries actually receive one thing and generate some specific product, and even those could have been set up to handle "general goods".

I never use "Quickdrive" because my operating mode is switchlist based.

I've never tried multiplayer.

As an observation, some of the payware and DLS routes are operationally very interesting, but because they don't allow one to revise them (for scenery), I find them limiting, since they often have fairly minimal scenery.

Interesting to see peoples' responses to this -- such variety!

Hi Butler57 - I totally understand where you're coming from. Surveyor is more my kind of thing too. This particular thread is all about gameplay (or more accurately, what and how you do things in driver).

We'll run a similar thread about the tools side of things at a later date (as it will open an even bigger can of worms :) ).

Robd, if the agenda was hidden, I wouldn't be posting in the Trainz forums :). Quite simply, we know lots of people do lots of different things in Trainz and we're keen to find out whether our current understanding is in tune with the general Trainz Community.

Rather than sitting back, I'd love to hear how your typical driving session operates.

Hi Harry (btw, my dear old Dad was a Harry too), I'm totally with you. It has surprised me that even Trainz veterans had never heard of it.

To those who aren't interested in the built-in routes/sessions - is it the geographical area that doesn't interest you, or the route quality, or the sessions? Or something else?

Built-ins -- for me it's mostly the geographical location (no interest in running passenger trains in Europe or Australia), but the quality of the scenery in some of the built-ins is also an issue.

I have run builtin sessions Philskene's comes to mind, but I usually get the version on the DSL as they can be modified.
Spend a lot of time on the UMR2018, Wankakee, Tillahook and Summer Lake among other.
I make sessions with lots of AI and several train for myself generally use trackmarks and triggers rather than navigation point, Think they are hard to see, for a builtin session for Hinton a consist way down in the yard its hard to figure what track its on from the nav point so have to fly down to it. Also I set up a session and run it for weeks saving and returning to the saved session.
I've used CMTM in the sessions that come off the DSL, but never set up one myself. Really enjoyed a five day session, can't remember route name, an industrial area with 99 numbered sidings. You got 1 or 2 trains a day and you setout cars and collected cars as directed. You then set up the consist to be picked up by the AI.
I use Quick Drive a lot to change time and car loads, also added trains when in a session you find you need another engine or car.
No multiplayer.

Rob

Thanks for your feedback everyone (keep it coming)

KotangaGirl. What do you do with your other trains when you head off elsewhere? e.g. Do you leave them unattended and stationery somehwere then pop back at a later time to continue on?

To all so far - what is it about multiplayer that has prevented/stopped you from playing?

With slow coal trains I can generally leave them to get on with it on their own since they only travel at 15mph and I know how long it will take them to get to where they are going. Set the points for the route and they are fine. Local passenger trains often have waiting time at stations so I do other things like shunting to fill in time. I have tried to use the robot drivers, but it usually results in hilarious mess ups so I don't bother with them anymore. Things happened a lot more slowly and less intensively on secondary routes and branchlines in the mid 19th century so my methods work fine and more to the point they make me happy.

To those who aren't interested in the built-in routes/sessions - is it the geographical area that doesn't interest you, or the route quality, or the sessions? Or something else?

For me mostly it's the geographical location and the era of the built-in content. My interest is purely UK steam era pre-1924. I did like Hawes Junction though and despite its age it's travelled well. The diesels all got deleted and replaced though as I have zero interest in diesels. I saw my first diesel when I was five and hated it and I've not changed my opinion since. I thought about rolling back time on the ECML, but there was too much wrong with it, the scenic work is awful and the lashed together mismatched station buildings are less than impressive.
Built-in trains, layouts and sessions from/for China, the USA and European countries no-one has ever heard of just take up space on my hard drive I could better use for something else. Put the 1930's steam era Cornish Mainline by Robert3a0 in Trainz as a built-in route and then you might quicken my interest a little.

1: No. I use sessions to find out how it works, to find out more of the route.
2: Not really. Most routes have no session. So i build my own one.
3: I have no typical set-up. Mostly i use the Enhanced Interlocking Tower to add pathes at first. Next i configure the MCM System
4: I like to jump from one train to another.
5: I don't know this system.
6: The complete MCM (Mission Code System) from pguy
7: With load and unload rule
8: No. (Sometimes just for fun)
9: As more AI is better
10: Never tried because i don't know how it works.
11: looking for an option to start a session at computer system time, but i have not found a system variable yet to write a rule.

Is there a particular built-in session that you like? (and what makes this one special?) No, I like all of the ones that work although some are a little long with little variety.
Is there a session on the DLS that you enjoy? No.
If you create your own sessions, what is a typical set-up? (e.g. do you use navigation points?) Don't create any sessions
Do you only ever drive a single train or do you like to jump from one to another? A single train
Do you use CMTM (Car Movement and Traffic Management System) ? Or perhaps model railroad card systemst Don't know what it is but if it is what it sounds like, I probably would not use it.
Are there certain rules that you use when making your own gameplay? No.
How do you use commodities in your sessions? Don't
Do you only use Quickdrive? (and why?) I use Quickdrive but only when forced to by either only one session being available or the sessions don't work right.
How much AI traffic do you like in your sessions? I like to have AI traffic but get it from the original session designer.
Have you tried multiplayer? (What did you like/dislike?) No

Yes. I have not used any of the design features. I originally bought a copy of trainz 9/10 but my laptop couldn't handle the video. When I upgraded my laptop, I was able to run that quite well and enjoyed most of the sessions that came with it. I then bought TANE online and liked the increased reality but found the sessions less than adequate. Several of them simply did not work and others were well over two hours. I have been largely unable to download content because everything seems to come up as "invalid". One of the earlier posters suggested a version for people that only want to run trains and accomplish tasks. While I wouldn't say that I would never get into the programming aspects of this thing, at the moment all I want to do is run already prepared sessions.
Thanks for the opportunity to comment.

This brings me to a point that I have been trying to find a way to fix. There has been a lot of discussion in the past two or three years about how many of the old assets kill the frame rates. The question for me is how do you identify which ones they are. A....
One way is to turn on the " Show performance statistics in Surveyor and Driver" (Trainz Settings in the Main Menu where you select your routes and sessions) Takes a bit of interpretation but you can see what is killing your performance since it is in realtime as various objects come into view.

Tony,
As my timeline shows, I am relatively new to Trainz, but had been an HO train modeler for years. I finally came to the realization that I'd never have the space or money to do up yet another layout, and knowing about this simulation, I finally took the plunge. I have to kick myself for not having done this years ago, but I think I am getting in at just about the right time. Actually I am having a blast, but the learning curve is pretty tough. I'm running TANE and looking forward to your upcoming release.

Is there a particular built-in session that you like? (and what makes this one special?
I like most of the built-in sessions. As others have said, they are really helpful for learning the route. I also enjoy the variety, although I prefer US routes and generally routes in the 50's. If I find I need a change of pace, it is always fun to pop over to Australia, shunt cars in England, or pick up passengers in Germany.

Is there a session on the DLS that you enjoy?
There aren't many sessions I've found for the routes I have downloaded. The exception to this is Philskene's routes, where he has detailed out some very challenging sessions for his routes, and without the visual aids. All his sessions are great fun.

If you create your own sessions, what is a typical set-up? (e.g. do you use navigation points?)
I'm only just now starting to dabble into creating sessions. The learning curve is rough here, with so many rules and the need to pay close attention to what you are assigning. I had an AI driver who was supposed to drop off a tank car at a location, but I'd given the wrong car # for uncoupling, and on top of that, I didn't realize I had to give a halt train order too. Yep, the AI uncoupled both tank cars at about 5 mph and I watched as they merrily coasted off into derail land. Back to the session orders to add the needed details. It is pretty cool having trains controlled by the AI and all working different tasks. I jump from train to train to watch their progress. Having just one train in operation by itself just doesn't seem very realistic. That's why I've started delving into creating multiple trains in a session. I don't use navigation points - too early and just learning the rules. I like to have 3 trains running different and multiple tasks, as that is about my speed for now.

Do you only ever drive a single train or do you like to jump from one to another?
I really do enjoy driving the trains myself. I especially enjoy the chaos of running a steam engine in cab mode. I don't always use the in-cab levers, generally preferring to run the engine with the sliders and keyboard, but it is really cool to mouse over the cutoff and push it forward with the engine responding to your control.

Do you use CMTM (Car Movement and Traffic Management System) ? Or perhaps model railroad card systems?Are there certain rules that you use when making your own gameplay?
Just like most of the others commenting here, I don't really know about CMTM, but if it increases traffic on a route and I can get some help to understand it, I'd love to try it. Still learning the rules, but only use the basic ones so far.

How do you use commodities in your sessions? I will manually load and unload, unless the industry is automated - I really enjoy seeing the industry load and unload the cars.

Do you only use Quickdrive? (and why?)How much AI traffic do you like in your sessions? I would love to have lots of AI traffic in sessions. I've just not figured out how to do all that yet. I don't use Quickdrive much. I prefer to save the session and then exit out and come back in to drive the session. Probably just not all that familiar with using it yet.

Have you tried multiplayer? (What did you like/dislike?) I have not tried multiplayer. It might be fun if I had a bunch of friends that would jump in, but I side with the others and prefer to run sessions by myself. I seem to get much more enjoyment that way.

I am really enjoying driving the trains myself right now, and just starting to learn how to create sessions. I am playing around in surveyor too, trying to put together an HO layout from the old Atlas King Size Plan book that I had always wanted to build but never had the time or space. Now I do (virtually), but compared to the many and varied routes available on the DLS, it is woefully small at just 4 foot by 12 foot. There are routes that are huge, and I'm just discovering them. There are so many ways to enjoy Trainz, and I'm just learning how to enjoy the various aspects.

Something I would like to see is some more detailed help in putting together sessions and running multiple trains, which might ease the learning curve a little and really brings these routes to life. Still, it's all good.

Heinrich505

• Is there a particular built-in session that you like? (and what makes this one special?) The sessions on Avery to Drexel route are fun, if a bit broken at times
  • Is there a session on the DLS that you enjoy? Not yet
  • If you create your own sessions, what is a typical set-up? (e.g. do you use navigation points?) Sometimes I try to set up AI, but as most of the routes I have are either single tracks or the size of a nations with single track sections I rarely bother
  • Do you only ever drive a single train or do you like to jump from one to another? Generally one train, though some times ill drive things like helper units to my "main consist"
  • Do you use CMTM (Car Movement and Traffic Management System) ? Or perhaps model railroad card systems? no idea what the first one is, and the second one only IRL :)
  • Are there certain rules that you use when making your own gameplay? Auto drive activated from driver commands, that's about it.
  • How do you use commodities in your sessions? general a session for me is hauling 1 or more from 1 location to the other.
  • Do you only use Quickdrive? (and why?) Yes, because I mostly just plop a consist down and drive, and its nice to have all those options in 1 screen
  • How much AI traffic do you like in your sessions? I like a decent amount so the world doesn't feel dead and like I'm on an actual rail line, but as stated trying to get the AI to do what you want of them on single line tracks is.. challenging.
  • Have you tried multiplayer? (What did you like/dislike?) By the time MP worked for me games where few are far between and haven't played any.
  • Anything else you'd like to throw in to the discussion. Graphics are Nice, but I feel games like this really shine when there sounds are above and beyond. screenshots are nice, having it sound like your actually next to 7 engine blocks the size of dump trucks really sells it.

I use only my own route, my Cotton Belt Route, mainly because I have never found another route that interests me (except for perhaps Dermmy's East Kentucky, but I don't have that installed). There are tons of user made routes out there, but they just don't appeal to me for one reason or another, mainly because they don't look real to me. I see lots of screenshots on the screenshot thread of what could potentially be interesting routes, but it seems most of these are just made to "show off" how realistic the user can make a screenshot and are probably only a board or two long and not from a bonafide route. There should have been some kind of rule that stated the screenshot can only be from a route at least thirty or so boards long and COMPLETE!

I use as many A.I. trains as I feel I can without slowing the game down This includes non-train A.I.s such as a combine, helicopters, airplanes, motorboats, etc. I like my route because it's long (100 miles plus). I prefer to drive a non-A.I. loco from one industry to another and when I'm "playing" the game I stick to one train and don't jump around from train to train. I care nothing for interactive industries, preferring to use the Instant load and Instant Unload commands. I prefer to sit IN THE CAB and watch the scenery go by and I can't understand those who run their main loco from outside the cab. Of course, I have to leave the cab to throw switches and such, but mainly I use Quickdrive and sit in the cab. I do have a Raildriver, but have to yet to set it up for SP 3.

I find the lack of realistic traffic on the roads very un-appealing, but crappy traffic is better than no traffic so I always have cars on the roads. I have holes in my socks--- but hey, I have socks!

The clouds in the sky move too fast.

The non-support for GMax is a shame. It's the easiest program I have ever learned to use.

I love Trainz. It's given an old man a lot of fun and enjoyment.

Cheers,

Dave

1. Is there a particular built-in session that you like? (and what makes this one special?
C&O Hinton Division - Thurmond Empties. It is a steamer and enjoy the run.

2. Is there a session on the DLS that you enjoy?
Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland 2014 TANE - Ffestiniog & Welsh Hilighland: 2015 High summer

3. If you create your own sessions, what is a typical set-up? (e.g. do you use navigation points?)
Not normally, just starting to learn how to use them.

4. Do you only ever drive a single train or do you like to jump from one to another?
Neither, I passenger view or "chase" my locos

5. Do you use CMTM (Car Movement and Traffic Management System) ? Or perhaps model railroad card systems?
No, did not know what it is - till now. Will need to have a read up.

6. Are there certain rules that you use when making your own gameplay?
Drive to/via, Navigate via, wait, load, unload, track marks, hornz, refuel, schedule, stop, delete train, copy commands from, schedule

7. How do you use commodities in your sessions?
Very basic for freight/passenger

8. Do you only use Quickdrive? (and why?)
No.

9. How much AI traffic do you like in your sessions?
All my locos are AI driven.

10. Have you tried multiplayer? (What did you like/dislike?
Haven't tried and not really interested. (may change one day....)

11. Anything else you'd like to throw in to the discussion.
Can go on a trainz excursion pulled by a steamer at any time :)

Last edited:

No. Mainly because I have never used the built-in routes.

Only the ones that I've uploaded for my own layouts. And there are many. There are usually four or five sessions for each route / layout I've uploaded to the Download Station.

A typical set up is "Chuck and Joe, this is the Dispatcher ... " followed by a the Dispatcher's instructions for the task to be performed by Chuck and Joe, the locomotive crew (though in the more recent sessions they must also act as Yard Master, Load Master as well as Switch Man), in their shift. Usually it's then up to C & J to decide how best to complete the session. The session generally entails freight movements, taking commodities hither and hence, to and from industries on the layout. In some respects the sessions are an intellectual challenge to work out the correct switching movements, cutting the cars, ... . I'm sure the majority of the readers of this thread are familiar with the C & J sessions. For that one individual who is not see, for example, my Post #18 in this thread:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...ge-layout-quot-The-Kab-Fourword-Railroad-quot

Chuck and Joe drive a single locomotive. But sometimes they are given the choice of locomotive.

Not CMTM. I did try it but found it too complex. I also tried Car Tagger. For those who didn't stumble across Tar Tagger, see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MUXnfXJiNM

I suspect I might be the only person who has actually uploaded a session using Car Tagger, "Inglenook Industrail Railroad Session 1 with Car Tagger". The Car Tagger concept I thought was great - place a tag on the cars in the session. The tag describes where the car has to go and what it has to carry.

Unfortunately a) it's a right royal pain in the butt to configure; b) I could only make it tag one event, not a whole sequence of movements that the car might be required to do in the course of the session; c) the only way to distribute a session is to provide a save of a session (and a save session cannot be placed on the Download Station, so an external download link is required); and d) the real killer is that Car Tagger is broken in T:ANE.

I still think the concept is excellent. It's just that the execution needs vast improvement. Surely it can't be that hard? Tony, if you want to contact me about what is required ... .

No.

Hey - isn't this the real reason real railroads exist - to carry commodities from one location to another? So that is exactly what Chuck and Joe do in the sessions.

The big breakthrough for me was discovering that the Rolling Stock flyout can be used to load and unload freight cars in Driver:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjE0oOmXa7k

I always found configuring interactive industries a real chore. Even more so the testing of a session. Now I don't have to do it - Chuck and Joe multitask as the Yard Master deciding where the cars are loaded and unloaded, and as the Load Master doing the actual loading and unloading. Also when constructing routes I no longer have to bother with inserting interactive industries. Cars can be loaded and unloaded anywhere.

Only to change the time during the session.

That depends. Some of my layouts are constructed so that AI trainz run simultaneously in opposite directions on the single main line between yards. See, for example, "Krashnburne" and "InternCity". And the "Bidye" that comes with the Deluxe T:ANE. The challenge for Chuck and Joe is to work from one yard to the next with both following and facing AI trainz. It can be a real challenge.

Yes, it's a great concept.

While some of my layouts have been downloaded several thousand times, downloads of the sessions measure in just hundreds. So I'm a bit uncertain of the demand for sessions, or is it that I'm just doing them all wrong?

Phil

Last edited:
Back