Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trainz and "Gameplay" - Feedback thread

United States of America, Delaware, Dover

Can't believe no one knows what CMTM is.

CMTM is a system that turns Trainz into an operating RAILROAD.

<kuid:32711:105211> Portland Terminal Ops 2

Shame that we lost CarTagger with the games script killing, bet most of you don't know what that was either.

Geez, screenshot generators, that is all these train sims are used for.

Harold

Hi Butler57 - I totally understand where you're coming from. Surveyor is more my kind of thing too. This particular thread is all about gameplay (or more accurately, what and how you do things in driver).

We'll run a similar thread about the tools side of things at a later date (as it will open an even bigger can of worms ).

one can't help thinking that there's some hidden agenda in this type of thread topic - what it is in this case, I just can't put my finger on!

Robd, if the agenda was hidden, I wouldn't be posting in the Trainz forums . Quite simply, we know lots of people do lots of different things in Trainz and we're keen to find out whether our current understanding is in tune with the general Trainz Community.

Rather than sitting back, I'd love to hear how your typical driving session operates.

Can't believe no one knows what CMTM is.
    Hi Harry (btw, my dear old Dad was a Harry too), I'm totally with you. It has surprised me that even Trainz veterans had never heard of it.

To those who aren't interested in the built-in routes/sessions - is it the geographical area that doesn't interest you, or the route quality, or the sessions? Or something else?
    Last edited by Tony_Hilliam; August 3rd, 2018 at 06:49 AM.
    Tony Hilliam

Got questions about TRS19? Click here for TRS19 FAQs

Looking for answers to in-game functionality? Click here for help

Some things to discuss include:

• Is there a particular built-in session that you like? (and what makes this one special?) I personally don't use built in sessions or routes (and I get the feeling from reading some of the posts here that I'm not in a minority.)
    • Is there a session on the DLS that you enjoy? No.
    • If you create your own sessions, what is a typical set-up? (e.g. do you use navigation points?) I don't create them because it's too involved and too glitchy in Trainz and far too much hassle. I just build routes and if anybody wants to add sessions later then feel free and good luck to them.
    • Do you only ever drive a single train or do you like to jump from one to another? I only ever "drive" a single train in order to test a route's functionality and to look for less obvious errors. The physics of "train driving" in Trainz are appalling and are as far from reality as flying a space ship from your local airport.
    • Do you use CMTM (Car Movement and Traffic Management System) ? Or perhaps model railroad card systems? I have never heard of any of it and I haven't got a clue what you're talking about.
    • Are there certain rules that you use when making your own gameplay? N/A
    • How do you use commodities in your sessions? I don't as a rule.
    • Do you only use Quickdrive? (and why?) Yes, because it's easier to jump between QD and Surveyor when testing.
    • How much AI traffic do you like in your sessions? I use the bare minimum when testing usually because otherwise things can very quickly go awry. I would like to use a lot more AI trains but Trainz is easily confused. I find that the Trainz AI is generally anything but intelligent (and it proves to be so in a lot of other software too so don't feel that I'm victimising just you guys.) I would love to be able to set up a busy, fairly complicated route and then just sit back and watch the trains go by. All attempts so far have been a miserable failure because there's always something that decides to go off and do its own thing at some point.
    • Have you tried multiplayer? (What did you like/dislike?) No. I have absolutely no interest in it at all, thank you. I like to create and then offer it up for criticism when I feel it is ready. As a divorced man, I am not prepared to put myself back into a situation where someone is looking over my shoulder every now and then while I'm doing something and then offering me their "advice" on how I might do it better.
    • Anything else you'd like to throw in to the discussion. If simple games like "Transport Fever" can get their trains/cars/buses/ships and planes to find their way from A to B in complicated scenarios without the user having to have a degree in Computer Sciences, why can't Trainz?

Have I been a bit harsh? Maybe... but if you don't tell it like it is, how can you expect it to get better?

Cheers

Dave

United States of America, Pennsylvania, Murrysville

I think that we have enough "social" media. Infecting N3V with it is a mistake. For me social media has become a weapon. People with extreme prejudices, (here-to-fore masked) are now free to express them and be joined by like minded people. We have seen that is is too easy to manipulate the self-forming sub-groups with planted inaccurate information and they then erupt into a frenzy, as a result spreading these infections views. If you want to increase the engagement of these social sewers count me out. If I had a business I would not look for more connections to that wild-west show. But if you are strapped for cash, go for it but be prepared.

As you open more channels for topical discussion you will need to spend more money (employee time) managing the furor. Today's forums are pretty much self-managed. The so-called social media channels simply run wild and we see how easy it is to keep the fires burning by people with entirely different agendas. Do you want some people organizing a rally of people in the NY area who love steam to gather in a park to exchange ideas only to be fed styled propaganda that supports their underlying personality traits? Remember, "social" media is a primary source of news and ideas for millions around the world. Your attempts to counter any false rumors will have little effect. You are already FakeNews....

So, enjoy your social media experiment. You will regret it.

Dave, you found Trump's favorite hacker!
    Last edited by boleyd; August 3rd, 2018 at 06:41 AM.
    Dick near Pittsburgh, Pa. i5-2500K 4.3ghz, 8gb memory, GTX1050 4gb video card

Tony
    Look forward to the thread on 'surveyor' - by the way worms make a garden grow so take that as a positive.
    Just on the current thread - I find mostly I have not the time or inclination to do the finer things in 'gameplay' ie; dabble with CMTM setting up schedules and the like, creating pop-up info's etc mainly due to good lack of easy to follow instructions for some of these finer things in trainz - that is if they even exist.
    Perhaps we, us, you need to create the "Idiots Guide to Trainz" that has these step by step bits or even some way to implement them in some very user friendly way.
    I understand that under the hood Trainz is probably one of the most user interactive sims around these days (most other games of this kind have taken back that user interaction - used to love the old tank games that basically like trainz let you create your own worlds and assets to some degree and blow up the world LOL).
    Last edited by butler57; August 3rd, 2018 at 07:01 AM. Reason: wrong acronym
    butler57

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Hilliam View Post

1) Robd, if the agenda was hidden, I wouldn't be posting in the Trainz forums...

2)...in tune with the "masses".

3) Rather than sitting back, I'd love to hear how your typical driving session operates.
    1) Of course, anything you say!

2) I resent being refered to as one of the 'masses', I find that quite derogatory and sets the tone for perceived hierarchical inequalities between Trainz users and N3V staffers!

3) Sat back is my prefered position whilst using Trainz. As far as gameplay goes I am inclined towards the modifying of existing assets rather than full blown railway operation. I think cyberdongreen summed it up for myself rather well in post #18 in this thread.

Rob.
    Last edited by robd; August 3rd, 2018 at 06:47 AM.

Hi Rob - it's funny how words in a forum can be misinterpreted. I've edited comment to say "Trainz Community" which I presume/hope is less derogatory (but given that I wasn't attempting to denegrate in the first place, I may well be wrong again).
    But thanks for your further feedback - much appreciated.
    Tony Hilliam

Hi Rob - it's funny how words in a forum can be misinterpreted. I've edited comment to say "Trainz Community" which I presume/hope is less derogatory (but given that I wasn't attempting to denegrate in the first place, I may well be wrong again).
    But thanks for your further feedback - much appreciated.
    By the way, am not Harry, it is Harold.

The "masses" are always offended by the slightest thing.

Tony, you are clueless what train-sims are used for, mostly whining about lack of physics and screenshots.

Harold

• Is there a particular built-in session that you like? (and what makes this one special?)
    • Is there a session on the DLS that you enjoy?
    • If you create your own sessions, what is a typical set-up? (e.g. do you use navigation points?)
    • Do you only ever drive a single train or do you like to jump from one to another?
    • Do you use CMTM (Car Movement and Traffic Management System) ? Or perhaps model railroad card systems?
    • Are there certain rules that you use when making your own gameplay?
    • How do you use commodities in your sessions?
    • Do you only use Quickdrive? (and why?)
    • How much AI traffic do you like in your sessions?
    • Have you tried multiplayer? (What did you like/dislike?)
    • Anything else you'd like to throw in to the discussion.
    1. No. Most built-in routes from TS12 and T:ANE are ugly (N&W Coal, Hinton and ECML come to mind).

2. No.

3. I don't use navigation points, i use trackmarks, triggers, and variables.

4. I prefer to drive a single train with multiple different tasks to complete.

5. I want to learn to use CMTM but as of today, no.

6. Trigger Checks, Consist Checks, Variable Checks, Driver Schedule Rules, and Message Popups.

7. What? You put a commodity in a traincar and it can be loaded and unload at specific industries. I don't understand the question.

8. No. I prefer to use the basic Startup Options Rule.

9. A lot. It just aggravates me that the AI in T:ANE is idiotically terrible.

10. Yes. It's buggy in SP1-HF4 but works pretty well in SP2. It can be really fun with the right people and i don't think it gets the credit that it deserves.

11. Make sure TRS2019 doesn't have a horrible launch like T:ANE did.
    Last edited by chris2001trainz2010; August 3rd, 2018 at 07:30 AM.

Is there a particular built-in session that you like? (and what makes this one special?)
    No - I get bored after about 10 minutes of running a session , much prefer to make my own that cater to my own specific tastes

Is there a session on the DLS that you enjoy?
    No - see above

If you create your own sessions, what is a typical set-up? (e.g. do you use navigation points?)
    Simple sessions usually done on the fly , Sometimes with a few trains passing through from portal to portal using the central portal rule ,
    Though mostly on the fly and making full use of TANE's ability to add and remove trains from a live session - That feature is the bees knees !

Do you only ever drive a single train or do you like to jump from one to another?
    I jump , variety is spice of life and good for keeping boredom at bay .

Do you use CMTM (Car Movement and Traffic Management System) ? Or perhaps model railroad card systems?
    No

Are there certain rules that you use when making your own gameplay?
    I like to use the AWS rule and I also make full use of the Junction normal rule where I can set a route up for a train I've just told to move (Using "STW drive" not the standard Drive command) and can leave it as I know any changed points will revert to their "Normal" position after it has passed .

How do you use commodities in your sessions?
    Yes I like to load trains , with various commodities , Once again the ability to do this on the fly in TANE is brilliant .

Do you only use Quickdrive? (and why?)
    I do most of the time and is my preferred method to get a session running but I have also set up sessions , saved them and had to leave them for another time . These are usually started up directly from the routes session list .

How much AI traffic do you like in your sessions?
    Depends on the size of the route , I do like routes where I can lineside and watch the world go by , I have built a few which are really just huge ovals (like a huge trainset) but which have many signalling sections , Sidings , Yards , depots , stations etc. These usually have a quite a few AI trains just simply driving along using the "STW drive" and "Set max speed - MPH" commands , I usually just play signalman , routing slower freights into loops etc. or I'll do some shunting in a yard as the trains pass by .

I once had 45 trains moving on one of my larger routes all at the same time , All of them using the "STW drive" rule but there was a very noticeable drop in framerates along the full length of the route including off scene areas with only blank boards and 2 tracks . Must of hit the limit that my computer could handle !

Have you tried multiplayer? (What did you like/dislike?)
    No

Anything else you'd like to throw in to the discussion
    I like to keep things simple when it comes to sessions , TANE currently allows me to do that , please keep it that way .
    Its bad enough your making content creation so hard as to be not worth bothering with . Don't spoil our session fun as well !
    High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line

Sorry Harold (offended someone else..) My Dad was Harold to us family, and Harry to everyone else - guess I just introduced him to you as Harry lol.

Do I detect a touch of sarcasm in the next comment? And it is "whining about a lack of physics" and "whining about screenshots"? Or "whining about a lack of physics and a lack of screenshots"?

Chris, Re: "Make sure TRS2019 doesn't have a horrible launch like T:ANE did."
    That's exactly why Trainz Next, er.. TRS17, er .. TRS18, er... TRS19 is not yet released. We've made incredible leaps forward since the TANE launch. Over three years of hardening, optimising and tweaking. While the Early Access version is not the final release version, we're pretty confident it will knock some socks off. After all, even Harold is [mostly] happy with it .
    Tony Hilliam

I'm not going to limit based on the suggests, I'll go just how I feel the gameplay over the years of playing.

The thing that makes me really the Trainz being number one train simulator gameplay-wise is the flawless AI and industry functionality.

AI is a great not only for automatic railroading but also for the side activity when driving a session. I love the feeling when suddenly a train crosses around me. It feels so real.
    I prefer driving a single train meanwhile others operate around me. Although I might like driving multiple trains, just I didn't get to this case yet.

Industries, ah how much I like those. I prefer freight operation over the passenger I think that's why. I like that you can send some kind of material somewhere and that will produce something else etc. I don't know but I just like dat so much.

These two things are definitely the ones which I would be sad if they would be forgotten in the Trainz meantime.

Blog Entries

Is there a particular built-in session that you like? (and what makes this one special?) Only used to see how some things are done
    Is there a session on the DLS that you enjoy? Nothing in particular
    If you create your own sessions, what is a typical set-up? (e.g. do you use navigation points?) Mainly trackmarks and station destinations
    Do you only ever drive a single train or do you like to jump from one to another? All trains are under AI control. I jump from one to another to enjoy the ride
    Do you use CMTM (Car Movement and Traffic Management System) ? Or perhaps model railroad card systems? No, make it up as I go along
    Are there certain rules that you use when making your own gameplay? Drive via, Wait, and other traffic control rules
    How do you use commodities in your sessions?Mainly into passengers so no commodities
    Do you only use Quickdrive? (and why?) Can't remember the last time i used QD.
    How much AI traffic do you like in your sessions? Lots, to fill in the background
    Have you tried multiplayer? (What did you like/dislike?) No, have no interest in MP
    Anything else you'd like to throw in to the discussion. As a few others have mentioned, I spend more time in Surveyor. Also creating my own objects in order to populate my own routes. If a true scheduling module could be added, that would be great. Adding individual rules to each driver gets tedious real fast
    Last edited by martinvk; August 3rd, 2018 at 07:50 AM. Reason: missing data

70337:
    TRS19 build 98592| Win10 Pro 64 bit, i7-7700 3.6GHz 16 GB, GTX 1070 Ti

Do I detect a touch of sarcasm in the next comment? And it is "whining about a lack of physics" and "whining about screenshots"? Or "whining about a lack of physics and a lack of screenshots"?
    No, whining about physics and just using the game to produce screenshots.

Some people use the train-sims just for whining. Visit the train-sim forum.

Don't believe most people want to railroad.

MSTS/Open Rails has Activity Generator that generates railroading sessions and most people in that community are oblivious of Activity Generator.

Sessions with the "waypoints" are not railroading, just low level gaming, why I don't use Railworks anymore. All the sessions in the Railworks Steam Workshop are about hitting the mark.

Harold
    Last edited by hminky; August 3rd, 2018 at 07:50 AM.

I have only looked at the builr-in sessions to get an idea how to use rules, triggers and track marks. On the DLS I found Sea port (lewiscc65) very helpful how to use 'resources check'.
    So I build my own fantasy routes with a lot of loading and unloading at industries, all A1.
    I never drive a train. As in 'Flight simulator' that would end in disaster.
    CMTM? No idea. Probably to complicated. Also no interlocking towers, let A1 do the work.
    I always use the schedule library and the startup rules. I could not construct a route without ATLS, ASB and TRC
    Never felt an urge to use Quickdrive or multiplayer.
    I would like to try a route with overhead wiring but so far I have seen so much different stuff on the DLS that I have no idea where and how to start. Most assets give no description, no idea what they are to be used for.

It can not be mentioned often enough, that Trainz is so much fun thanks to the people that invented and made all the extra rules, commands etc. free for everyone to enjoy.