New era driver rules not saving.

FrankAshcroft

Running windows 10 everything working well except drivers rules (Instructions) will not save. They save in the sessions and the routes no problem. When I exit game it asked me to save which I do. I then log off. On restarting new era all saved drivers rules are gone can anyone help resolve this problem thanks

Last edited:
The first step would be to register your copy of Trainz (use the Register link at the top of this page). If you have registered and the icon is not appearing on your "timeline" next to your username at the top of your posts, then click the link to the Helpdesk (also at the top of the page) and create a "help ticket". This way we all know which version of Trainz and TANE you are using and that you are a genuine Trainz owner.

The most common cause of your problem (but I concede that it could be something else) is that when you load your layout and notice that the driver rules you added have gone it is because you have loaded the route only. Driver rules and driver commands are saved in the Session, not the Route. Once you have created and saved a Session, get into the habit of always loading that Session.

New era drivers rules not saving

Thank you for your reply pware I am registered but can't see where to add my trainz information to add to my time line, I will keep looking :).

I started many years ago trainz 2004 then left went to trainz 2009. In may 2017 after a few years away. I digitally bought and downloaded trainz A NEW ERA via steam. It said it was t:ane trainz 2017 I have just updated to SP3 . I will try get everything accurately entered

I can add drivers rules and I go between route and session and it saves from the route to the session and all is well. When I close the program and shut down the computer, on restarting the computer and opening trainz ican go to the session and the drivers rules are there if I then go to surveyor there is no longer any driver rules if I add scenery and the go back to route (Driver) I have to save my changes. Then going to the session all driver rules have been removed. Am I doing something wrong :eek:

Last edited:
If you are unable to solve the registration issue then the recommended solution is to post a message on the Help Desk forum - link at the top of this page. There have been a few "issues" with a few new users unable to have their registration automatically processed and appearing on their timelines.

Since you were originally a Trainz 2009 user then your user name and password would still be active from that version. Have you entered your username and password (either the old or the new one) into the TANE - Trainz Settings - Internet (Tab) dialogue box? That might be the issue. It is possible that the registration problem may be the cause of your Route - Session issues.

One issue that is causing me a bit of confusion is what do you mean by "Driver Rules"? There are two different ways of programming train (and driver) behaviour in Trainz, and often both are used together. You would probably be familiar with both from Trainz 2009.

There are the Driver Commands - such as "Navigate To Trackmark", "Load", "Wait", etc. These are issued to individual drivers in the Session Editor Driver Setup Rule.

Then there are the Session Rules themselves - such as "Trigger Check Rule", "Message Popup Rule", "Wait on Trigger Rule", "Driver Command Rule", etc. These are also issued to drivers (and not just one driver) in the Session Editor.

Both sets of commands are saved as part of a Session. When you restart TANE you have to select the Route, View the Sessions, then select and load a Session to get those sets of commands loaded into Surveyor. If you just select and load the Route then all you will get will be the scenery that you saved as part of the route.

Since you have not used Trainz since TRS2009 then you will probably not be familiar with Layers which, I believe, were introduced in Trainz 2012. This is another feature where you will need to climb the learning curve.

Driver commands not saving in A NEW ERA

Hi pware
I have tried what you suggest still no joy saving the driver commands.

My Tane is A NEW ERA SP3 build number 94812
I have checked Tane-Trainz settings-Internet and it states that my trainz log in succeeded and that my user name and password are correct.

the confusion is probably my discription of things:confused:.

1/ It is the driver commands that will not save
2/ When I do add a new drivers rule to the drivers commands, they too are lost when I save everything and exit the program. On restarting the game every thing is gone, the new rules I added and the drivers command but I understand that it goes hand in hand with it not saving the driver commands.

When I am on the game for a few hours and move between the route and the session everything saves normally, and none of the driver commands are lost. The problem comes in when I exit the program back to my home screen if I then restart trainz all the driver commands are gone.

I did try the layers, putting the driver commands in the route layer and in the session layer. I also created new layers in both the route and the session but again if I log out and restart even the layers have not been saved they too have been lost.

I tried to see if my trainz 2009 would do the same thing thinking along the lines of it being my PC running Windows 10. I had no problems, it saved everything as I would expect it to. I can shut down my PC an come back on and everything is there no problem it seems to be just Trainz new era.

Is there a way I could uninstall it and then reinstall it in case there is a file missing from my down load.
the frustration not being able to carry on makes me feel i should delete this and just use 2009 version buts that is defeating the purpose of buying A new era. I so hope I you or any member can tell me how to solve this issue.
Thanks you for the help so far I really appreciate it.

Still seems that you are opening the route after you restart Trainz. You need to open the session in which you added the driver commands, even if you plan on editing the route itself. Once the session opens, change the active layer to "route" in the layer tab. Then any changes will be done at the route level. When you save, the session that you opened will also be saved and will still be associated with the route.

Each route can have multiple sessions associated with it. That way you can have different events, consists, even different scenery depending on which session you open, all based on the same route. If you open the route directly, it doesn't know which session to use so it creates a new empty session, which is why many people think all their session work is lost. It is just in another session.

Driver commands save not working

Thanks for the reply martinvk

You information on what I was doing wrong and your suggestion on how to solve my problem has worked thank you. I have mainly used older versions of trainz were I must have or thought I had done all the work in a route and when you saved it all saved. I do not remember doing it this way:confused:. It may be age catching up as everyone seem to be telling me lately.

I would thank you and pware for your patience and for all the help and assistance, I sincerely appreciate your help.

I have run run a few test and my driver commands are now staying where I need them
Thanks again to all

Glad to hear that the Route - Session issues have been sorted. You will have some "catching up" to do on the changes that have occurred since Trainz 2009. The registration issue looks like it will need a visit to the Forum help desk to resolve. Until this is fixed you may be restricted in many areas such as your ability to download assets from the DLS.

Hi Pware
I have informed the help desk and they are working on the problem. An email from them said that the system did not complete the registration correctly and that they will do it manually. I see some of it is done already. Thank you again for all your help it is most appreciated.

Gee Whiz, I have struggled all day trying to carry Session rules and schedule Library forwards as I develop a large 20 station railway system. I would NEVER have guessed how to do it were it not for this forum!
Step 1. change Session Rules(Adding items as required).
Step 2. Save your route with a nicely named session(MyRules).
You can safely exit TANE here.
Step 3. Look for your route in Select route.
Step 4. GO TO Sessions you will see MyRules New there.
step 5. Select Edit session.
Do your route layer editing and repeat from Step 1 with a different Route Name, I always use MyRules as the session name.

Back