Roll Out of TRAINZ 19

gch

Yet another week rolls by with non news about the latest developments in 19.

As already explained to Tony, this is unbelievably frustrating and disappointing to know that a major upgrade is literally just a moment away from release.

And what an upgrade it promises to be !!!!!!!

For God's sake, just release it and then fine tune it over the upcoming weeks.

It can't be simpler than that.

I participated in TANE from day 1 and feel that I have paid my dues on my assistance with N3V.

Please, just release it and trust us to appreciate that it won't be perfect.

I have no idea why this is so difficult to grasp.

Graham

While I applaud your enthusiasm I tremble at the thought of yet another round of "N3V Bashing" that would almost certainly ensure.

"Please, just release it and trust us to appreciate that it won't be perfect". Unfortunately there are some in these forums who have no idea about the nature of software or the Game Development Life Cycle. They expect every release to be perfect and totally "free of bugs" and are not afraid to vent their spleens when something does not measure up to their expectations.

I for one are more than content to "sit and wait" until the official release in Q4 of this year (or even Q1, Q2 in 2019). It will not be perfect, software never is, but it will be better.

While I applaud your enthusiasm I tremble at the thought of yet another round of "N3V Bashing" that would almost certainly ensure. "Please, just release it and trust us to appreciate that it won't be perfect". Unfortunately there are some in these forums who have no idea about the nature of software or the Game Development Life Cycle. They expect every release to be perfect and totally "free of bugs" and are not afraid to vent their spleens when something does not measure up to their expectations.
I for one are more than happy to "sit and wait" until the official release in Q4 of this year (or even Q1, Q2 in 2019). It will not be perfect, software never is, but it will be better.

Make that two, that's prepared to sit & wait. N3V is in that no win situation again. They'll be dammed if they do & they'll be dammed if they don't.

At a very wild, wild guess, I put the complaints ratio in the forum at around 10 to 1. The "one" complaint is from people that want it launched now, well before it's ready, because they can't wait. They are happy to play around with a really buggy alpha, or early beta version, verses "ten" complaints that moan and bitch that it's shouldn't have been launched so soon, because it's still so buggy & hardly playable at all. Certainly not ready for prime time yet!!!

What side of the coin am I on? I'm one of the "ten' side!!!

I'm on the side that is quite happy to sit and wait until N3V get it right, or as right as they initially can. - "when they've got it ready for prime time". I'd much rather wait until later on this year, or next year if necessary, than have to put up with something like the "official Tane launch again". Some have comment in the forum, that they think that when Tane was launched, it was at the very best, an "early beta" version. Hopefully there won't be a reap of that!!!

The problem with the second scenario is N3V, by waiting, might go broke in the next 6 months, because of cash flow problems. (like a lot of software developers, the executive decision that needs to be made is; do we launch the bug ridden software early to get the cash flow in & try to sort the bugs out as we go, or do we delay and try and sort out as many bugs as possible, before launch, but will run the risk of going broke in the mean time)???

It's great that N3V will open up the pre-release beta testing of TS2019 to all those that want to participate. That should hopefully keep a lot of the "I just can't wait any longer crowd happy". I'm sure N3V have learnt a lot from the "Official Tane Launch" days!!! Looking forward to TS2019's release...

Cheers, Mac.

Last edited:
And than you and everyone will complain because it isnt finished, the never ending circle. Us older peopel are a little more patient. we are not so spoiled.

You are absolutely right. It's just 100% unalloyed enthusiasm and excitement that has got the better of me.

As I said, I was with TANE from day 1 and that was really bad at times but I believe that we go there in the end and I think that my MICROSCOPIC contribution played its part as did everyone else.

I actually believe that there should be space for dead mad, but wordly weary, users of my enormous age who could actually be trusted to get on with it having paid a hefty price through the TANE years.

But, you're right as well, lets just see what N3V do and go with the flow

Thanks Mac!

I would just add that I only got excited when Tony started promising something in the next few weeks and I took that as some kind of pre-release to sensible old farts like me.

I am essentially a big kid and explore with my hands as much as my eyes. I don't care whether the leather seats and the wood grain effects look good in the new carriages (Horrible belief that the FPS will be a killer but that is tomorrow's problem.)

My real love and pleasure is scenery/layout design and this is clearly going to be one of the "big wins" in 19 and I am praying that the new version will give us proper lighting effects in the not too distant future.

Hence my frustration.

At 69, I would like to beat the grim reaper to Trainz 19 and (believe me) I've already almost shaken his hand

[edited due to NDA.]
Good things will come to those who are patient - but faster, if you join the Early Access betas when they become available soon! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Something about haste makes waste springs to mind. While the moaners will find something to complain about even if it was perfect, why feed them. If there is one lesson from past experience that should be taken to heart, it's to not release too early. When is that moment? If I knew, I'd be running the show and not waiting like everyone else.

I suppose that a fool might rush in expecting a finished product. More fool him!!

A manic enthusiast, "early adopter", takes what is on offer and just gets on with what is available, enjoying the good days and washing over the bad....

That confirms him as a manic enthusiast early adopter which is where I want to be !!

You know what my answer to this is...

rofl.gif

Just have some patience and let them do their magic, my god won't you people understand that games take time and effort to make? Especially Trainz which needs to restore its reputation as a good Train Sim. Just look at GTA V for example. Rockstar Games took their sweet time perfecting it and it really had an effect, the game came out really polished on day 1. Just wait a while, play some TANE, play something else, go on a date, before you know it the new game will be out and you'll be happy you waited for it.

cabnz1 - Screenshots from TRS2019 are embargoed right now - the Closed Beta continues with all participants under NDAs.
You may be assured that N3V will release copious glamour-pics when the product is ready for marketing!

Edited the earlier post - not a major breach, but a breach nonetheless.

Regarding the opening post - we're taking more time and ensuring more testing than ever before to avoid the inevitable "it ain't finished" backlash as much as possible.

We thought it would have been ready a few weeks back, but the good news is that we've also fixed a bunch of things we weren't planning on having ready in time for Early Access.

All I can say is that we're getting closer!

All I can say is that we're getting closer!

The famous Real Soon Now (TM)

There are Driver and Surveyor TS19 screenshots available if you do a bit of lateral thinking and some digging. I have seen them and they are very interesting (I have not signed a NDA so no penalty apart from not getting an invite from Zac to the Christmas Party).

Back