Someone messed up! Seattle can't use their new trams.

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/n...r-current-tracks/ar-BBL34Ia?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Oops. Now the new trams will have to be retrofitted because they're too big and heavy.

This reminds me of the fiasco with Boston's Green Line when the Type 8s were purchased from Breda. The bogies weren't built to spec, and the trams derailed on the tight curve going from Boyleston Street to Park Street and got stuck, and derailed at various stations as well due to other problems.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20912

Also loved the one, where trains were built too wide, where they would sideswipe concrete station platforms, requiring the retofit of all station platforms

Also loved the one, where trains were built too wide, where they would sideswipe concrete station platforms, requiring the retofit of all station platforms

We have this problem with the Blue Mountains line at the moment.
All the platforms beyond Springwood will need "enhancements".

That happened in Melbourne Aus some years ago when new trains were built. They didn't find out till the first test train hit the first station.
In Adelaide when they started to electrify the suburban lines the new trains worth many millions didn't have access ramps fitted for wheelchairs. The driver has to place a fold up ramp for them.
At the moment they are having problems in Brisbane with poor facilities for disabled passengers on the new Chinese trains.
Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:
What a rather odd thing to happen and rather questions planning and preparation. Mind you over here in GB we recently had the main line between Glasgow-Edinburgh (one of three between the two cities) electrified but the new trains had to be delayed as drivers doing the trials found the windscreens had problems! But a city planning for new trams seems to have slipped up.

No this was a long time ago when the trains were designed and built here.
I seem to remember it was when the Blue Harris trains were being replaced.
Cheers,
Mike

To me it sounds like someone used Imperial measurements instead of metric or read the metric as Imperial.

There was an issue with a movable bridge where I live. The bridge designer introduced a rounding error due to metric to Imperial conversion, and the turning mechanism didn't fit properly, which delayed the opening of the bridge by another 6 months.

My opinion is that the US should switch to metric it's more easier and the whole world uses it so it'll avoid problems, the only times metric is used in the US is by scientists

If the US measured in Metric system, we would have Metric miss measurements, and Metric mistakes. I worked (as a mechanical assembler/QC) for a company that used Imperial measurement in CNC machining, and 90% of the products went straight into the trash dumpster, as they just plain did not know what they were doing, everything was 3/4" off, as they did not take into account that the milling machine cutter was 3/4" diameter

Which has nothing to do with the measuring system and more like the person how wrote the instructions needs to learn how that machine actually works. Incompetence works in any measurement.

Meanwhile, measuring once and cutting twice strikes everyone, see TGV too wide

Last edited:
That's not a TGV but a TER ( Train Express Régional ) so an interstate train

Good point. The actual train type was not mentioned. Did like the reason given:
Transport Minister Frederic Cuvillier blamed an "absurd rail system" for the problems.

"When you separate the rail operator from the train company," he said, "this is what happens."
Now where else have they done that?

My opinion is that the US should switch to metric it's more easier and the whole world uses it so it'll avoid problems, the only times metric is used in the US is by scientists

You forgot... and Trainz users too. :)

I use metric all the time it's much more accurate for a lot of things then again I was trained as a technician with an engineering background!

Which has nothing to do with the measuring system and more like the person how wrote the instructions needs to learn how that machine actually works. Incompetence works in any measurement.

Meanwhile, measuring once and cutting twice strikes everyone, see TGV too wide

I agree, but in the case of the bridge that was in fact the problem sited in the article so someone rounded the wrong way and things were too tight.

more accurate like by exemple if you convert 1KM into meters you multiply by a thousand so it's 1000 meter but 1 miles is 1760 yards a bit confusing and let not talking about temperatures lol

Back