An interesting battery locomotive?

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
Also in Japan. After watching the link by MF01, I got sidetracked on to this one. :) This locomotive has a pantograph, but that might be used to recharge the batteries, which are placed on a flatcar behind the locomotive. Hint: this is an interesting idea that we could model.

https://youtu.be/Vs5Qu5Yvu04

In the video also note the nearby hotel. That would be a nice place to stay in with that view from the upper floors.

The branch is connected a a busy mainline and on it is a sad looking locomotive such as this one in the video tipped on its side. The branch crosses a busy road with a typical Asian railroad crossing. I remember seeing these while in Taiwan nearly 30 years ago now. They're pulled up by pulleys and when the train approaches they are lowered. It was rather interesting watching the chaos in Taipei when a train approached with the locals scrambling to get out of the way as the train was barreling down on them, but Japan being much more orderly and organized doesn't seem to have that problem. While in Taipei and watching trains that rainy Saturday, a railroad guard came over and we talked about trains for about 2 hours.

This only a guess, but I think it is an ordinary electric loco that uses the battery car to access non-electrified sidings or industries. The batteries may well be recharged from the loco but I suspect they are recharged direct at the depot. But then I could be completely wrong.

EDIT: This is a Google translation of the first post:

On August 28, Heisei 28, the 45th electric locomotive No. 18 that is allocated for transportation of JR ⇔ Mitsui Chemical Omuta Factory (Miyaura) is derailed by the safety side line inside the temporary river premises.
This phenomenon seemed to stop the power transmission of the overhead wire, it is thought that the same type No. 19 also used for cargo traction can no longer be used.
For this reason, the 22t locomotives No. 11 and No. 12 locomotives, which are normally used at the Mitsui Chemicals Omuta Plant for replacing freight cars, were selected for the above transportation.
By the way, 22t locomotive is made in 1917, it is an antique item that will be 100 years old just this year.
In order to prevent ignition from the spark due to overhead lines in the factory, the 22t locomotive will run with power supplied from a freight car with a battery installed.
When running on a battery, it will run with the pantograph folded. Pantograph is used only when charging.
Therefore, it is possible to run even on a line where transmission stops like this time.
The scenery where such a special vehicle passes from the factory and goes through the public road is considered to be very rare.
In addition, the derailed Unit 18 has passed more than one week since the event occurred at the time of shooting, and it is unknown about what time it will return to normal form around time. ※ It seems that Unit 18 was rescued between September 11th and 12th of the next day of shooting.

When the time of delivery of freight cars with JR is set to the time on the basis of Templeya river standard ...
About 7:55 JR Freight Forward to JR Omuta EF towing vehicle passed by the Templeya river
22 ton locomotive (single machine) pulled a freight car from Miyaura around 8:30 pm arrived
Leaving the freight car around 8:35, 22 ton locomotive single unit (single unit) withdraws to Miyaura
9: 5 ★ Extra ★ Star Natsu passed by the temporary river (Sunday only)
JR cargo DE tractor car which returned at JR Omuta station arrived at Templeya river around 9:20
22 t locomotives from Miyaura arrive at Templeya River at 9:30
About 9:40 Departure cargo train of 22 t heavy locomotive traction towards Miyaura
About 10:15 JR cargo DE tractor leaves for Omuta station.
JR freight EF tractor wrapped back at Omuta station around 12:10 passed by the temporary river
The video has been edited to follow the above flow of the day.

Last edited:
We've been experimenting over here in the UK and at the company I work with locos like this. Infact part of our new fleet is EMU but they have a massive engine in the middle for the unwired branchlines. We also had a prototype EMU that charged a battery and could run without the overheads.

All part of being green! They don't want to make DMU's for unwired branchlines anymore due to the pollution.

Interestig all these 3 mode in one for a locomotive from the 30s but the battery was used for diesel portion ? If so it would be a few kilometers because of the low range for the era

:) Enjoyed the Video and Banter about very unusual Locomotives in other parts of the world, always something to learn about here on the Forums.

:wave: Thank you Gentleman for your insight and sharing here.

We've been experimenting over here in the UK and at the company I work with locos like this. Infact part of our new fleet is EMU but they have a massive engine in the middle for the unwired branchlines. We also had a prototype EMU that charged a battery and could run without the overheads.

All part of being green! They don't want to make DMU's for unwired branchlines anymore due to the pollution.

Several commuter railroads in the northeastern United States that serve New York City use dual-mode locomotives, all of which are equipped with a diesel engine and a mechanism to collect electricity from an external power source. The railroads receive the electricity from either an overhead catenary or an electrified third rail. New Jersey Transit's ALP45-DP, manufactured by Bombardier, uses two four stroke V-12 2-cylinder Caterpillar 3512C HD engines and a pantograph to collect the electricity from the overhead catenary. Amtrak and Metro-North's P32AC-DM, manufactured by General Electric (GE) is based on Amtrak's Genesis series of locomotives, the P40DC and P42DC, which can be seen hauling Amtrak trains across the country. The P32AC-DM uses one four stroke V-12 GE 7FDL12 diesel engine, and a 'shoe' to collect electricity from the electrified third rail. Long Island Railroad's DM30AC, manufactured by EMD, uses a two stroke V-12 12N-710G3B-EC engine and a 'shoe' to collect electricity from the electrified third rail.

Thank you John, (teddytoot) for the detailed information about the operation, which I didn't bother to translate last night.

Not running under wires within a chemical plant makes sense due to ignition issues - Snap-crack-BOOM! This is similar to the old fireless steam locomotives used around gasometers and chemical plants in the past. There was one company, I think that converted one to compressed air, but I don't know when or if they discontinued operating that locomotive.

This is very neat and interesting to watch, and a great idea for our use too. I can envision a reskin of some crates on a flatcar that can be used as batteries coupled to a small center cab electric. I've got to experiment with that. The issue I see is we would need to drive the loco manually due to AI wanting to raise the pantograph up while driving.

I'm glad the derailed unit was rescued. In the event that the company discontinues using these nice locomotives, it would be nice that at least one of them is preserved since they are antiques.

The New Haven Railroad (New York New Haven and Hartford) had one of the early dual diesel and electric locomotives called the FL9. The FL9 was externally similar to an standard EMD F9, which I think is a bit longer with General Electric adding additional hardware. The units were fitted with pick-up shoes for running on third-rail power into Grand Central and Penn Station in New York City. These early units had electrical issues and would catch fire often until the bugs were worked out.

The New Haven Railroad (New York New Haven and Hartford) had one of the early dual diesel and electric locomotives called the FL9. The FL9 was externally similar to an standard EMD F9, which I think is a bit longer with General Electric adding additional hardware. The units were fitted with pick-up shoes for running on third-rail power into Grand Central and Penn Station in New York City. These early units had electrical issues and would catch fire often until the bugs were worked out.

My original post went into the history of how dual-mode locomotives came to be, which included the FL9; but it ended up being so long, I just decided to go with the present day dual-mode locomotives. I spent over an hour reading online and writing the post and I decided to forgo writing the history and go with a post that would take only a minute or less to read instead of like five minutes to read.

My original post went into the history of how dual-mode locomotives came to be, which included the FL9; but it ended up being so long, I just decided to go with the present day dual-mode locomotives. I spent over an hour reading online and writing the post and I decided to forgo writing the history and go with a post that would take only a minute or less to read instead of like five minutes to read.

That makes sense. :)

I remember when they were pretty new and now they're museum pieces and hand't gone through the Penn Central destruction yet so I must be getting old!

A very interesting and educational thread.
Innovation is the word when it comes to solutions for railway problems.

I often get sidetracked when watching a video and end up spending far too much time being nosey/researching something that cought my eye.

Back