TANE Baseboard Error!!!!!! They disappear while everything remains

jamal17

Subways and railroads
I have TANE SP3 94916, I've been using TANE to play routes that I've made in TRS 2009 and games after that, I have an issue where I open a route that didn't get to save properly and when I do open it no baseboards are present where as the only items remaining is scenery, tracks and Etc....I noticed that this only happens when I open an unsaved route and it asks me if I want to "use changes" or revert to the without the changes being saved. I have two routes where this happened and only one baseboard is there and I cant maneuver around the whole route because no other baseboards are present. what is it that's causing this or how can I fix this?

When you see Use changes or Revert changes it means that the route or session (or both) are open for editing. That will happen if you had a crash to desktop or the route or session was updated and the changes not submitted (committed).

The thing to do is open Content Manager and select the filter: Open for editing. Find your route and session and either Submit Edits or Revert.

Then when you start the game the route and session will not ask about reverting changes.

If it didn't save properly I'd advise reverting changes as otherwise you could end up with a corrupt route (if you're using the Use Changes option I'd advise not saving so that it can be reverted).

Shane

So it looks like I messed up then, I've been working on this route since 2011 and I might have to do all the baseboard work over again

So it looks like I messed up then, I've been working on this route since 2011 and I might have to do all the baseboard work over again

You could always restore from a backup either from T:ANE, or your archives.

To be honest, it's a lot easier to do, though you'll lose any recent work.

I can give you the details on the other method if you want to do it that way, but it involves a third-party application to read the .tzarc files and open them up.

I have TANE SP3 94916, I've been using TANE to play routes that I've made in TRS 2009 and games after that, I have an issue where I open a route that didn't get to save properly and when I do open it no baseboards are present ...
What do you mean "didn't get to save properly?" Did you know this before attempting to open the route or is it a conclusion based on the missing baseboards? If the former, was there an error message when you last saved? Did it save correctly in TRS 2009? Did it every open and save correctly in SP3?

The same happened to me, not knowing what else to do, I inserted additional baseboards in the appropriate locations. I had put in textures again. I am no art expert so I just added the properties I felt necessary. I originally did this route/session in 2013. The assets / junctions / tracks were not affected. Since 2013, I have learned a trick or two and have worked to improve this route. It keeps my brain spinning.

What do you mean "didn't get to save properly?" Did you know this before attempting to open the route or is it a conclusion based on the missing baseboards? If the former, was there an error message when you last saved? Did it save correctly in TRS 2009? Did it every open and save correctly in SP3?
The computer shut down while I was working so I couldn't save it

Ouch. did you just lose power, a UPS would help in that case or did it just die without warning? That might be a sign of bigger issues - over heating comes to mind or corrupt memory. Was there a BSOD (blue screen of death). When a database is caught in an unplanned closure, a repair usually needs to be done to bring it back to a stable condition. If the Trainz database repair ran successfully and things were still missing, time to engage backups. That is why they are done for those occasions when everything else fails.

I realise this is just a few years late, but ...

I had the same problem happen to me on a route I had started creating in TANE SP3. This was before I knew the difference between editing a route vs editing a session and how the route and session layers worked in TANE. (I had migrated across from TRS2004, skipping all versions inbetween, so it had been a bit of a learning curve/adjustment coming over to TANE because of these differences)

After a year or so and a new pc, I have now reinstalled TANE and updated to SP4, loaded the route and some of my baseboards were missing!! All the scenery, track, industries etc were still there and visible, floating in midair. It seems that I had inadvertantly added these boards whilst editing the session and/or having the session layer selected in surveyour, rather than the route layer. (or at least that is what I think must have happened because if I edited the ROUTE, the boards AND the scenery etc were missing, but if I edited the SESSION, all the scenery etc was there, but ONLY the baseboards were missing... )

Anyway, I got my baseboards back by entering surveyour via the "edit session" option (selecting the route/ clicking "view sessions"/ selecting the session/ clicking "edit session") and then I merged the session layer into my route layer, saving it and overwriting the orginal route and session and then reloading it. (I would suggest perhaps renaming the route and session so you still have the original backup incase) When the route reloaded everything was back! As my baseboards had not yet been textured, I cannot say if this would retrieve the textures or not, but the boards that were missing are back. As you cannot change the layer to which the baseboards are in like you can for most other assets via the edit properties "question mark" tool, merging the layers seemed to be my only option..

As far as I can tell, the only difference that entering surveyour from the route page or the session page makes, is which layer is highlighted and selected for editing when surveyour opens.

Hopefully this solution can be of help to someone out there with the same problem. Just remember to make a backup or save it as a different name just incase...

Welcome to the forums, Nic.

This is definitely a helpful tip. Hopefully this helps for those that have had this issue.

Welcome to the forums, Nic.

This is definitely a helpful tip. Hopefully this helps for those that have had this issue.

Thanks John. :wave:

I have found a LOT of useful information here over the years. Finally I felt I had something that could be of use to others and I could give back in some small way. It only took me 6 years!:hehe:

Back