My real-life prototype photos for Trainz asset creators

Beautiful photos of very interesting objects, but I suspect many of them could not be used as photo-textures (as opposed to inspirational shots) since most are very angled perspectives, showing only one or two sides.

Very nice, following you now. As above shame most of them arn't a bit more side on or else I'd have loads of photoskins to play with!

Thanks everyone. Ah, I see. I'm unable to photograph all four sides of any given railroad car, for the fact they are usually attached to a train or even moving sometimes. Also I often don't have enough space to stand back and get a straight on shot. But I get what you mean. At any rate, maybe it will give some ideas of what is out there. Keep in mind I do offer the proper dimensions, weights, etc in the captions of the photos.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Ah, I see. I'm unable to photograph all four sides of any given railroad car, for the fact they are usually attached to a train or even moving sometimes. Also I often don't have enough space to stand back and get a straight on shot. But I get what you mean. At any rate, maybe it will give some ideas of what is out there. Keep in mind I do offer the proper dimensions, weights, etc in the captions of the photos.

I use a fair number of photo textures on my wagons. The UK stuff is much easier as most of the wagons were flat. The ribs on the box cars are more awkward to handle the sides get hidden behind them. Having said that if you can get one side on then its worth its wait in gold. I have one UK wooden van that has been the basis for possibly twenty wagons or more. Ends are difficult to catch but again if you can grab the odd one or two they are very useful.

For modellers who don't use photo textures side views, ends views are useful to see construction details.

Cheerio John

What is needed is photos of both sides, front, back, and all details.

..and the much-neglected top view. I often wish I had a drone/camera and license to fly it. Would be so useful for this hobby but the legal restrictions on where you can use them and what you can photograph are quite a problem.

In my experience, the lack of all-around photo-views has been the biggest impediment to my modelling, but I just don’t like “manufactured” textures.

Last edited:
With PBR photo skins well not look good at all it you do not remove all lighting information from the photo, there are programmes that can do this.

Back