Nvidia GT 1030 vs Nvidia GT 710 2GB:How much better is the 1030 better then the 710?

RailFan500CA

Largely Inactive
I am looking at upgrading my GPU for the windows 7 PC tower I have,currently using the Nvidia GeForce GT 710 2GB as the GPU,but I am looking to upgrade now. I am looking at the Nvidia GeForce GT 1030,and from looking on a few sites,it seems to be better then the GT 710,but how much better is it for Trainz? The GT 710 usually gives poor FPS on TANE unless I turn water reflections off and put the draw distance on lowest when playing with shadows on,and I would like to run the game with shadows on,but with a 250 watt PSU,I do have limited choses for GPU's,and thus it seems that the GT 1030 is not that expensive (Around 100 dollars,not sure if in US dollars or not.) and from some sites they say the GT 1030 is an upgrade from the GT 710 2GB. But how good is the GT 1030 for Trainz? Is it good enough to run TANE with shadows on low,water reflections on,and draw distance at a decent range? (Like 2500 meters or higher?) Or should I get a better power supply and get something like a Nvidia GTX 1050 or better?

Please note:The windows 7 PC I am looking to get a GPU upgrade for was made in I think 2009.

What is the rest of the machine?

realistically a GTX 1050 TI would be the minimum I'd go for but nVidia are expected to announce a new range of cards shortly. These should include ones which need less power. Prices on older stock are expected to drop.

Win 10 would give you better drivers and about 10-15% better frame rates you could still get it for free as an upgrade about two weeks ago.

Cheerio John

Last edited:
I think it has a 250 watt power supply so you're very limited.

[h=1]HP Pavilion p6133f Desktop PC Product Specifications[/h]
c02157795.jpg

Product release information Product number NZ018AA

Release date 29-Jul-2009

Country/region sold in
  • Canada

Motherboard IPIBL-LB (Benicia) Figure : Motherboard top view
c02096815.jpg

• Manufacturer: Asus
  • Form factor: microATX - 24.4 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.4 cm (9.6 inches)
  • Chipset:
    • Northbridge chipset: Intel G33 Express
    • Southbridge chipset: Intel ICH9R

• Memory sockets: 4 x DDR2
  • Front side bus speeds: 1333/1066/800 MHz
  • Processor socket: 775
  • Expansion Slots:
    • 1 PCI x16 slot for graphics card
    • 2 PCI x1 slots
    • 1 PCI slot

• For more details, see Benicia motherboard specifications.

Yes you have a PCI slot but I suspect its a custom power supply that won't take a standard sized power supply.

I'd probably go with a replacement.

https://www.dellrefurbished.ca/computer-workstation?dir=asc&order=price look for a T3610 xeon with 16 gigs RAM then add a better video card sometime. The K2000 does do directx 11 cost around $700 can.

Cheerio John

Back