Question about .cdp install process

Forester1

I have seen people complain about all the "Open for edit" assets that result after downloding and installing .cdp files from third parties. I recently installed a rather large one and noticed the steps it apparently takes:

TAD Installer package <KUID#> Description
<KUID#> Opened for edit
<KUID#> wrote to disk
submitted <KUID#>
<KUID#> Installed.

That's not exactly it, but it is pretty close to the process as I observed it. The question I have is, why does the asset installer have to open each asset for editing in order to install it? Or, conversely, if it has to open it for editing, why is it not closed when submitted? Or maybe it is? I did notice a number of assets that instead of the "submitted" line had a line saying "<KUID#> Commit skipped", which may be when they get left open?

Someone who knows more about this than I may be able to provide a better answer. My understanding is that the .cdp file is a compressed "transport container" or a "package" for one or more assets - you can bundle multiple assets together into the one .cdp file.

So the installer (actually CM) has to open the .cdp file to firstly extract the asset or assets it contains.

Then it has to open the Trainz database (the "Open for edit")

Then write the data into the database - the writing to disk. The exact details will depend on which of several database management methods Trainz uses - my database management days are well behind me.

Submit may mean closing the edited database. This may be exactly the same as submitting an asset you have manually opened for editing yourself.

A cdp is a compressed archive file similar to zip rar etc and it's contents need to be extracted same with a zip or rar file.

Stuff that remains open for edit after installing, often dependencies or builtins or payware, you probably already have installed and are trying to overwrite which might not be a good idea! so revert to Original.

Awesome. Thanks guys. Pware, I had never thought about it meaning opening the database for edit. That makes more sense to me...

Back