SSD vs M2 SSD

Which one processes Trainz better? I'm currently using my Western Digital Blue 2.5" 1TB SSD for TANE but FPS is maxed out at 30. How much faster and smoother does TANE operate on a M2 SSD?

M2 merely refers to the (stick of gum) form factor. You can have both SATA and NVME SSDs which have the same M2 form factor. NVME drives are, in general, significantly faster than their SATA counterparts and are a lot more expensive. However, for applications such as TANE and games you would be very hard pressed to notice any difference in performance and, if it were me, I'd stick with your WD SATA drive.

If your FPS is clamped at 30, there is a very good chance that you have vsync set to Half in your display settings. Try vsync Full or None and see what you get.

M2 merely refers to the (stick of gum) form factor. You can have both SATA and NVME SSDs which have the same M2 form factor. NVME drives are, in general, significantly faster than their SATA counterparts and are a lot more expensive. However, for applications such as TANE and games you would be very hard pressed to notice any difference in performance and, if it were me, I'd stick with your WD SATA drive.

If your FPS is clamped at 30, there is a very good chance that you have vsync set to Half in your display settings. Try vsync Full or None and see what you get.

I also have come to find out my GPU is 32 bit. So I'll definitely will have to upgrade ASAP to the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition once funds permit. I put VSYNC on full and it's now at 60 FPS.

Upgrading your GPU makes more sense than anything else in terms of achieving better frame-rate performance.
Suggest look at a 3rd party GTX-1070Ti as opposed to the Founders Edition design so you can get better performance and cooling at a lower price.
nVidia will likely launch their new line of GPUs in the next 3 months, so expect that there will be some much-needed price drops as vendors clear their channels of Pascal-era cards and the end of the crypto-mining boom is consolidated.
That means there will be some bargains to be had purchasing the current generation cards in a month or two (or performance gains to be made buying the next gen ones!)
M2 PCIe NVMe SSDs are a great way to upgrade your storage and OS performance, but you'd be hard-pushed to notice any performance improvements in T:ANE compared to a SATA SSD, except during database repairs and loading routes/ sessions, etc.
You will notice a big difference, however, when comparing such an NVMe drive to your current conventional hard disk drive(s).
Check your system compatibility first, though, to ensure you have sufficient PCIe 3.0 4x laneways for some drives.

Last edited:
If that's with T:ANE I'd suggest checking your V-Sync settings if it's maxing out at 30. It sounds like you might be running half sync.

Shane

EDIT: Sounds like you've discovered that - either full or none should help on that front though.

I was having the same problem, FPS at about 35 no matter what I changed, vsync was at half. The SSD only makes a difference in loading the game, it won't affect FPS.

Upgrading your GPU makes more sense than anything else in terms of achieving better frame-rate performance.
Suggest look at a 3rd party GTX-1070Ti as opposed to the Founders Edition design so you can get better performance and cooling at a lower price.
nVidia will likely launch their new line of GPUs in the next 3 months, so expect that there will be some much-needed price drops as vendors clear their channels of Pascal-era cards and the end of the crypto-mining boom is consolidated.
That means there will be some bargains to be had purchasing the current generation cards in a month or two (or performance gains to be made buying the next gen ones!)
M2 PCIe NVMe SSDs are a great way to upgrade your storage and OS performance, but you'd be hard-pushed to notice any performance improvements in T:ANE compared to a SATA SSD, except during database repairs and loading routes/ sessions, etc.
You will notice a big difference, however, when comparing such an NVMe drive to your current conventional hard disk drive(s).
Check your system compatibility first, though, to ensure you have sufficient PCIe 3.0 4x laneways for some drives.

What's wrong with the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition?

ArmoredMonster -
What's wrong with the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition?

Nothing in particular - It's really just a comment on the relative value & performance proposition.
The nVidia GTX 1070 Founders Edition is a great card that has been manufactured for the designers (nVidia) as their Reference Card and features a vapor chamber cooling system that vents heat out the back of your case via the slots on the add-on board attachment point.
Cards built by 3rd party OEMs (like Asus and EVGA, e.g.) using the GTX 1070 GPU typically offer better cooling solutions and increased base and turbo clocks/ overclocking potential at a lower price.

The new GTX 1070Ti was cynically and clinically brought out to eclipse the performance of AMD's rival card, the RX Vega 56, which it mostly achieves in spades. The best-value offerings are all 3rd party OEM cards and not the Founders Edition.
https://techreport.com/review/32766/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-ti-graphics-card-reviewed

Since the Ti version of the 1070 has more shader processors (2432 CUDA cores vs 1920 cores) than the original 1070 and sports a higher base clock, it performs better than the GTX 1070 for a roughly similar price.
Accordingly, I recommend a partner-manufactured GTX 1070Ti ahead of the GTX 1070 and/or the nVidia Founders Edition of the same card with its rather noisy and less-efficient cooling solution.

Last edited:
ArmoredMonster -

Nothing in particular - It's really just a comment on the relative value & performance proposition.
The nVidia GTX 1070 Founders Edition is a great card that has been manufactured for the designers (nVidia) as their Reference Card and features a vapor chamber cooling system that vents heat out the back of your case via the slots on the add-on board attachment point.
Cards built by 3rd party OEMs (like Asus and EVGA, e.g.) using the GTX 1070 GPU typically offer better cooling solutions and increased base and turbo clocks/ overclocking potential at a lower price.

The new GTX 1070Ti was cynically and clinically brought out to eclipse the performance of AMD's rival card, the RX Vega 56, which it mostly achieves in spades. The best-value offerings are all 3rd party OEM cards and not the Founders Edition.
https://techreport.com/review/32766/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-ti-graphics-card-reviewed

Since the Ti version of the 1070 has more shader processors (2432 CUDA cores vs 1920 cores) than the original 1070 and sports a higher base clock, it performs better than the GTX 1070 for a roughly similar price.
Accordingly, I recommend a partner-manufactured GTX 1070Ti ahead of the GTX 1070 and/or the nVidia Founders Edition of the same card with its rather noisy and less-efficient cooling solution.

From what I've seen they're all more expensive than Nvidia by at $50 or more. If I can't find any GPU that's supposedly better for the value and price, then I'll stick with the founders edition since you say they are high quality parts. $399 for a 1070 is about as cheap as it'll get from the way I see it.

That's fine. I LOVE my GTX 1070, which runs T:ANE exceptionally well with everything maxed out, including Draw Distance.
I know you'll enjoy your experience too...

Back