hi all

So it I have a hareline crack. ...

In which bone?

I had a hip replacement in July last year and it's taken a full 12 months to recover. I was told it would take that long. Now its better than new - well, maybe not as good as when I was 18 or so. That was over 50 years ago. :)

In which bone?

I had a hip replacement in July last year and it's taken a full 12 months to recover. I was told it would take that long. Now its better than new - well, maybe not as good as when I was 18 or so. That was over 50 years ago. :)

My aunt had hip replacement recently. Me and my Mom were making jokes about her new hip and I told her that I should of brought my metal detector, the type used to search for gold, to see if it could detect her metal hip. I also jokingly said that after she dies we'll remove her titanium hip and sell it for a profit.
EDIT: I got the metal detector at a Goodwill thrift store for just 20 bucks. When we (my Mom and I) got home from shopping, my Dad looked up the manufacturer of the metal detector and they're selling for at least 600 bucks. How's that for a deal!
P.S. I've already got another metal detector, but I got it years ago and it was a cheap one designed for kids. I think I was about ten when I got that one.

Last edited:
In which bone?

It's amazing how surgery like that is done today compared to 35 years ago. Where a hospital stay of a week or more was required.

My mom fell and broke her right hip about 20 years ago. She was rushed into the hospital, surgery was performed with a tiny small, maybe 2 cm cut where the pin was inserted, and she was sent home the next day. She fell again about 5 years ago and this time did a number on her left hip, which they replaced last year. She would have come home two days later, but had other complications not related to that surgery.

To contrast this in 1982 I had foot surgery where the bones were broken and the foot reshaped. I was in the hospital for a week with my right leg in a plaster cast from the big toe up to my hip, which was elevated. I then wore the cast for 9 weeks afterwards. Today the same metatarsal surgery is performed and patients go home with a plastic bag-like cast around the calf, and are in and out of the hospital in two days with very little scarring.

Back