My New Xidax X-2 Gaming Rig

Xidax X-2
Intel i3-8100
MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti @4GB DDR5
32 GB RAM DDR5
Western Digital Blue 2.5" 1TB SSD
Western Digital 1TB HDD
Corsair RM 850X Watt Power Supply

I'll be upgrading to the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition in the coming months along with the Intel i7-8700K processor. That should be more than adequate for TANE.

Why would you buy, and then upgrade it months later ? ? ?

I went cheap and not to mention the GPU I wanted wasn't available due to bitcoin ravaging the graphic card industry and embezzlement like tactics from New Egg charging double and triple what Nvidia put as the MSRP on their FE GPUs. Plus the i7-8700K wasn't available for my build. It only went up to i5-8600K. Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

iBuyPower has great prices: service absolutely sucks: BEWARE! I learned the hard way.

Check out Walmart.com: gaming computers. This one that I am using: CLX build. 16 gig, AMD 7 2700, Nvidia RTX 2070 8 gig. $1,400. Trainz running at full graphics runs, on average, 60 FPS. Lows of 40 FPS and highs over 100 FPS.

Would Trainz use anywhere near 32GB RAM sticks ?

Or is 16GB RAM sticks more than enough ?

16 is ok.......32 is better if your system supports it

Hi,,,

I have been using computers since 1970 Tandy TI 99's, Radio Shack era, onto what I have now ASUS ROG Gaming Rig,

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-Strix-G/

to spare the time of reading more, here, simply said,

16 is enough for most folks, however, as you know we do a lot more with our computers than ever before. I use off site back up program, and when it runs, it slows down my TRS-19, to the point some funny things occur, such as to the point I had to close the Program, due to some file locking issues etc.....

That was when I had 16 Gigs, of Ram, I went to 32 Gigs and never looked back.....Now Carbonite and TRS-19 play nice together most all the time, my rig is maxed at 32 Gigs, running M-2 SSD and Regular SSD drives.

So if you have the money, and you can find it on sale, I use Crucial memory, which is one of the best, Kingston is another......

The thing to think over is Wins and most other OS's such as MAC etc, have intensive File operations going on both under the hood, and whatever the user is doing combined., they need the room to spread their wings....... :)

Each Version of Software and the Motherboard etc, have their addressing limits of practical Ram, Hard Drive etc.......

So you just need to make sure your System can run with 32,,Some motherboards are limited to 16Gigs, you need to look at your MB specs to see it supports it, plus the version of Windows etc you are using. ( I see you are using Win10 same as me, so your good there)

https://www.crucial.com

https://www.kingston.com

I hope this helps you out.........:wave:

Would Trainz use anywhere near 32GB RAM sticks ?

The additional memory will help tremendously when doing work in Content Manager and in T:ANE and up because being a 64-bit application it will use as much RAM as it can take when needed. What you see in Process Explorer or Task Manager is deceiving in this respect because the core program uses about 2 to 4 GB, but the rest is overhead by the system its self. I noticed the difference myself during a database repair.

We have to keep in mind too that it's not only Trainz (aka TRS19) that's using this memory. Your system is performing a lot of other background tasks and this memory is shared with your video card as well. Yeah that technology was stolen from the mobile devices some years ago and now all video cards use system RAM as part of their texture buffer and shared memory in addition to the in-built memory on the video card so don't chintz on your video card because that's used for frame-buffering. The additional RAM will also be used to buffer directory (folder) information similar to what is used on servers. This speeds up directory access substantially, and therefore other file-related operations.

Does overclocking a motherboard, overclocking a CPU, or overclocking a video card, does that put alot of strain those overclocked hardware(s), causing excessive heat, and causing the hardware to burn out quicker, because I have requested them to be overclocked from the factory (Xidax) ? Would it be better to NOT request them to overclock anything ?

Would Trainz use anywhere near 32GB, or 64GB, RAM sticks ?

I must be absolutely completely out of my cotton pickin' mind, as many people have been running TS19 at full slider performance, on a $1300 MicroCenter®, DigitalStorm, CyberPower, or IBuyPower, BigBox Store desktop PC

It depends more on the content you run than anything else.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

Anything above an RTX 2070 and I suspect you're paying for the name rather than performance you're certainly into diminishing returns. Same with memory, 16 gigs is fine but 64 gigs will get you .0002% performance increase.

One big disk gets you more flexibility than two small ones and costs less per storage as well. The only technical advantage to separate drives is channel bandwidth and that means using different controllers, you might do that on a database server but otherwise the cost is far too high.

Cheerio John

Last edited:
There are two main bottlenecks for computers the first is heat. Keeping it all cool enough is a major problem and the second is getting data in and out of the CPU and GPU. Hard drives are measured in milliseconds memory in nanoseconds or about 10,000 times faster.

At the moment the fastest way to get data from a drive would be something like
[h=1]Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 2TB PCI-Express Gen 4.0 x4 NVMe 3D TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)[/h]
You'll need a pci 4 motherboard to get the best out of it but performancewise nothing else will touch a NVMEe SSD PCI 4. There are a couple of other brands around and 2 TB is about as big as they come. You may need a slower SSD to boot from and run the operating system.

The heat bit is interesting only in that a slower I7 or i9 or even xeon will have the same caches as the faster ones so in real life the performance won't be that much different but they put out less heat and run cooler which means better reliability. Fancy cooling systems when they work are fine but when they don't or spring a leak, remembering that anything dissolves in water to some extent, it is known as the universal solvent, then things get very expensive to repair very quickly.

Finally any system can be brought to its knees by a couple of sketchup assets in the layout.

Cheerio John

wd blue drives are not performance drives you want black for that. 64 MB cache is on the low side 256 MB are available.

Bigger drives have more platters, so a 6 gig drive has more data under the heads. Drive speed is impacted by how fast the drive rotates, how much time it takes to move from one track to the next. More heads mean the heads don't need to move to the next track when reading so often so the data comes in faster also the bigger cache helps disk speeds.

What you're after is a decent power supply, a reasonable CPU, it isn't that critical for Trainz, a powerful GPU, and I'd go SSD of some description for a reasonable machine. A Dell refurbished xeon in a tower case makes a good starting point. You need to add in a GPU and a decent SSD.

Alternatively look at Dell gaming desktop. i9, RTX 2070, 32 gigs of memory, boots from NVE 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) $2,500 but you know its well designed and put together.

Cheerio John

Cheerio John

Back