Missing Maps

Alikiwi

Apprentice Creator
Hi. This is extremely disconcerting, I have been working on a large map for the Lithgow Zig Zag Railway in the Blue Mountains (N.S.W.). The hard drive on my pc is dying and I could only get into Windows (10) in safe mode. I was able to copy anything to an external hard drive including Trainz. I then connected it to my laptop and thought I'd continue working on the map, but the map isn't there! So, where the dickens is it?

TANE actually "lives" in two different directories. The program code is (usually) on your C Drive in "C:\Program Files\N3V Games\Trainz A New Era" but it is possible to have it installed elsewhere.

The user data location, where your route is likely to be found, is more complicated but it normally starts at address "C:\Users\%your username%\AppData\Local\N3V Games\TANE\build <long string of characters>" but this location and all its data can be redirected to anywhere you want - it is the "local data folder" in the TANE Trainz Settings - Install TAB. But since you are using safe mode and probably cannot see that, then the redirection location is stored in a text file "userdata-redirect-map.txt" which is found at "C:\Users\%your username%\AppData\Local\N3V Games\TANE".

The question is which of these locations did you copy - the program or the user data?

I copied the program (N3V folder). I did read someone else was searching and that data is stored also in the \AppData folder. Sadly in safe mode you can not see that folder. I may try to copy the whole User (my name) folder and hope I can copy it over..

Although in safe mode the folder was hidden, a search located it and I was able to copy the relevant folder to an external hard drive, then onto my laptop. However in game my map still doesn't show, although I believe I found in in a backup folder. TANE contains 3 build folders, are the extra 2 causing it to miss the real one? I've not attempted to play an actual game on the laptop as it isn't powerful enough.

Although in safe mode the folder was hidden, a search located it and I was able to copy the relevant folder to an external hard drive, then onto my laptop. However in game my map still doesn't show.
When TANE couldn't find the folder that your map was in, it defaulted to a new folder. Now that you have provided the folder with your map, you have to set TANE back to that folder. That is done in Trainz Settings / Install / Local Data Folder.

Thanks for that, especially given it worked so I can breath again! Now if I can find a way to update the snapshot for the opening screen for it, it'll look even better ;-)

Back