Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That old school Trainz default "Clickity-Clack" sound.

United States of America, North Carolina, Smithfield

Default That old school Trainz default "Clickity-Clack" sound.

We all know the sound I'm talking about, that default clickity clack sound that is been in almost EVERY version (As far as I know) of Trainz. You know the one, if you go into TANE and run a consist that is nothing but the BR MK2 Inter City passenger cars, you'll know the sounds I'm talking about. My question is this, do any of us really know what that sound actually is? Or even better, does anyone here know what file or kuid in TANE that sound is. I've done some searches in the "Trainz Content" program to try and find it, but haven't been able to locate it honestly, and looking around on the forums, I either haven't been able to find what I'm looking for, or haven't found what this old school sound set is. Reason I am asking is because I'd like to mute the volume of that sound as it seems to interfere/overlap with some other rolling stock sounds I have for some custom content I am working on, and it can also be heard under the Jointed Rail FC Bogey sound sets as well which is pretty annoying after a while :P All I really need to know is what the kuid of that sound set so I can mute it.

Thank you in advance if anyone can point me to what I am searching for

-Josh
    See Oahu By Rail.........Ride The OR&L

Take a look at one of my recent narrow boats. In the config.txt file is a mysterious line that silences it.

Cheerio John

disable-extra-track-sounds 1

in each train config.txt but I remember that on older trainz you could put once this to remove for all the trains but now you have to do manually for each ones

2018 - Début de fin des Z2N

Quote Originally Posted by MF01 View Post

in each train config.txt but I remember that on older trainz you could put once this to remove for all the trains but now you have to do manually for each ones

Thats what I was thinking, because I remember only having to do it one time somewhere in Trainz 12 and it did it for everything, So now, I'll just have to manually do it in each car I guess? Also, in the config file for each car or engine, does it matter where I put it? Like, on some Jointed Rail rolling stock, adding this to the cars config file wont must their custom rollingstock sounds will it?
    Last edited by joshmeister; July 10th, 2018 at 09:07 PM.

Yep that's the most annoying part especially if you got a lot of trains like me ( you put it in the train config.txt not bogeys etc or it will be faulty )

Quote Originally Posted by MF01 View Post
    ( you put it in the train config.txt not bogeys etc or it will be faulty )
    Is there a specific place in the train config file it needs to go?

category-region "US"
    category-era "1970s;1980s"
    category-class "XHT"
    extensions
    {
    number_low "314000"
    number_high "314500"
    }

script-include-table
    {
    traincar_fx_library <kuid2:45324:555200:1>
    }

mesh-table
    {
    body
    {
    mesh "mesh_body/body.lm"
    auto-create 1
    }

Would that work?

Great that's the right place submit and it should work perfectly fine

United States of America, Illinois, Galesburg

Quote Originally Posted by joshmeister View Post
    We all know the sound I'm talking about, that default clickity clack sound that is been in almost EVERY version (As far as I know) of Trainz. You know the one, if you go into TANE and run a consist that is nothing but the BR MK2 Inter City passenger cars, you'll know the sounds I'm talking about. My question is this, do any of us really know what that sound actually is? Or even better, does anyone here know what file or kuid in TANE that sound is. I've done some searches in the "Trainz Content" program to try and find it, but haven't been able to locate it honestly, and looking around on the forums, I either haven't been able to find what I'm looking for, or haven't found what this old school sound set is. Reason I am asking is because I'd like to mute the volume of that sound as it seems to interfere/overlap with some other rolling stock sounds I have for some custom content I am working on, and it can also be heard under the Jointed Rail FC Bogey sound sets as well which is pretty annoying after a while :P All I really need to know is what the kuid of that sound set so I can mute it.

Thank you in advance if anyone can point me to what I am searching for

-Josh
    The sound files for the game are stored at this location: Trainz A New Era\resources\builtin\base\content\kuid 570470 100003\sounds
    There you can replace the sounds with different ones, or delete them (haven't tried it)

Cheers,
    Hiawathamr
    Last edited by hiawathamr; July 10th, 2018 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Added picture

NARM's site^

My personal site: https://hiawathamr.weebly.com/​

For me it's best to not try to do anything lol or it can corrupt things

The click-clack sounds are called "wheel_clang"

My wheel_clangs are located here:

trainz/resources/builtin/base/content/kuid 570470 100003/sounds/track/

wheel_clang_slow.wav
    wheel_clang_slow_med.wav
    wheel_clang1.wav
    wheel_clang2.wav
    wheel_clang3.wav
    wheel_clang4.wav

I changed them months ago to something else..

Last edited by Richarde57; July 11th, 2018 at 05:04 AM.
    ASUS Z170-A, Intel I7 6700, 16GB, W7 Ultimate
    GTX970 4GB
    Z960-5.1, G19, G13, G930, Corsair Scimitar PRO, RailDriver
    TANE Dlx SP3

United States of America, Ohio, Beavercreek

Once you find the wheel sounds, you can use something like Audacity (free) and lower the amplitude of the sound (or make it nearly zero). I would NOT delete the WAV files as it may cause problems in-game.

Bill

I agree with Bill, deleting them is a bad idea. It will probably cause an error. My question is what .wav files could you put in there then? JR's might be an option but would it make it sound weird with JR's cars? Like the sound repeating a lot or something.
    Now waiting for TRS19 to go on sale. Also volunteer on the Colebrookdale Railroad.

What I wonder about is if you put silent wav files in there, you may still hear the pop each time they run. I hear those in some existing sound files in Trainz sometimes, but they are probably not built-ins...
    I'm the reason the beer's always gone....

United States of America, Ohio, Beavercreek

I've examined all the track wav files. One or two of them begin with a distinct POP. Using Audacity, I've reworked those files and removed the POP as well as reducing the overall amplitude by 70%. What I have now is a nice, quietly running train with wheel sounds only when I'm in the cab or in chase mode and very close to the cars.

You could reduce the amplitude to zero, but leave the WAV files as they are in length.

FYI, I've done the same a while back to the annoying clang-clang of some of the crossing bells.

Bill