Need help with track laying

Railhead001

Hello folks,

Anybody know if there are templates for laying curves correctly instead of by guessing?

Any help appreciarted,

RH001

There is a range of Fixed Track in various radii on the DLS. Pick your radius and string a bunch together for a guide.

They will conform to the existing terrain, unlike track splines. You can change all that after you replace them with spline track.

I have used them as guides while laying splines along the inside and outside of the curves. They will also serve to keep you to some minimum radius.

:B~)

Hello folks,

Anybody know if there are templates for laying curves correctly instead of by guessing?

Any help appreciarted,

RH001

The ruler tool might help a bit when it comes to making constant curves. They are hard to make without some sort of template or trackplan though.

That video was totally rad !
Do you know just how hard it is to lay "Bad Track" ?
Requires thousands of redundant, up and down, spline points !

I used 2 Radius gauges at one time (will look them up)
But I have my own technique using the Trainz ruler ... then I add on, lead-in, and lead out, gentle curve easement transitions

Screen_001-26.jpg

The outside track has a gentle curve transition easement

Screen_003-19.jpg

The outside track has a gentle curve transition easement

Screen_005-16.jpg

Using FT Track as a guide

Screen_005-17.jpg

Screen_001-35.jpg

FT Track and easements

Screen_001-47_zps7f1fd7ba.jpg

Screen_006-16_zps78fe5bd3.jpg

Using the ruler to make curves

Last edited:
Regarding that last one, way back when, I read (saw?) a short tutorial on how to do that. I've looked but could not find it. I did find copies of the pic that cascaderailroad posted, but not the writeup.

The beauty of it is that it works regardless of a what angles the two straight sections are approaching each other.

That video was totally rad !
Do you know just how hard it is to lay "Bad Track" ?
Requires thousands of redundant, up and down, spline points !

Easy in T:ANE and no other points or dips needed

Set the track condition by adjusting the parameters in the advanced pulldown, or just edit the track-condition on a clone. I use the clone method and hard coded the value because the other method is requires adjusting each track segment, which is truly awful and time consuming.

The tag is:

track-condition .nn

where .nn = a percentage of "good".

1.0 or 100% is perfect, while 0.01 = really, really, really bad track.

When using the lower values, such as "track-condition 0.01", the engines and trailing wagons ripple, roll, and tilt as they do in real life. I use this kind of setting, I hard coded a cloned rusty track, in my yards and on some decrepit branch lines. Looks awesome.

The track-condition tag has been around since at least TS2009.

Please explain more:

What is the default track-condition numeral in T:ANE (I believe it is by default, set to "Worst" track-condition ?

track-condition .nn ... .nn = a percentage of "good" ? ? ?
What is this meaning of these characters ".nn" ?
What other numerals or characters are usable ?
(Just as in trainzoptions ... a -surveyorfov=35 is as low a numeral as possible, and a -surveyorfov=150 is as @ high as you can go, as it is a super wide angle fisheye view)

track-condition 1.0 = 100% is perfect
track-condition .nn = (what exact good percentage is this) ?
track-condition 0.10 = (what would this be like) ?
track-condition 0.01 = really, really, really bad track

The default is 0.50 or 50%
See JCitron's post for ways to clone and bulk-update large sections of track so that they conform to a higher (or lower) track quality standard.
Typically, I set my Main Trunk high-speed track condition to 80% or better and have lesser values for branch lines and yards.

You cannot access TrainzOptions these days in T:ANE (unnecessary).

Wait 'til you discover Superelevation, Cascaderailroad, to augment your beautiful curves and easements!

Last edited:
I while play in Tane I found this Superelevation degree which I think that means the angle of tilt of the train

I am not sure what Superelevation limit is and the best way to work the Superelevation degree and the Superelevation limit to get the best results

Back