Trainz Pro Route - Files downloading as .man or .txt?

gp792

Butner Lines Railroad Co.
Hi all,

when downloading from Trainz Pro Routes, files are showing up as '.man' or '.txt' files. This happens when attempting to download with Microsoft Edge. What do I need to do to change them to .cdp files?

Thanks

Hi Gp792. I don't know the answer, but I get the same thing with edge. Sometimes along with the main download button, there will be a small download arrow in the upper left or upper right that works better. But in general, I have found with those sites I need to paste the site into Chrome. It will show the .cdp download in the lower left corner of the window.

Thanks for your help.

I was able to get the files to download correctly using Chrome.

But why do people trust the company that made internet explorer to make a good browser?! Just I would recommend to not use Microsoft browsers... you would trust Microsoft with browser making after the terribleness of internet explorer? I also heard a lot about Microsoft edge having security issues and being prone to security issues and also the fact that Microsoft makes terrible browsers. I only used edge twice on my laptop with windows 10 on it. And the first time it was to download chrome. And the other time it was to download another browser.

I would recommend using a browser based on the chromium engine. And Microsoft can easily lie to you about edge being "Safe" and "Fast" and that crap but remember:Microsoft was the company that made internet explorer. And internet explorer was always slow and a terrible browser. And Firefox was nice to,but for some odd reason the latest version of it would refuse to download a .cdp file and instead showed a page with a whole lot of random text unless you downloaded it as "Save as...". But with chromium engine based browsers,they would practically download any type of file.

Just my suggestion.:p

When this happens, just right click on the page and choose to save the page and it will save as a cdp.
Cheers,
Mike

But why do people trust the company that made internet explorer to make a good browser?! Just I would recommend to not use Microsoft browsers... you would trust Microsoft with browser making after the terribleness of internet explorer?

This discussion has been raised in these forums before and different people will always express different opinions - because their individual experiences and needs are different.

I have never had any problems using Internet Explorer and it is my 2nd favourite browser after Firefox. I have never had any problems downloading .cdp or any other files with either of these browsers.

Google Chrome is on my list of least favourite browsers - partly because I simply do not like its "style" which is a purely personal opinion. Also I do not like the idea of Google using a browser to direct me more towards their internet services. It was bad enough when you attempted to use the new Google Earth web interface only to discover that it only works on Chrome, what a surprise!

I don't use MS Edge but I do look at each new version that is released and it is improving but, in my opinion, it still has a long way to go.

What concerns me more is that all of these different browsers are diverging more and more away from the ideal of a standard HTML and related technologies. We will soon get to the point, if we are not there already, where web sites will be "browser specific" and only work on certain browsers.

Interestingly, I once worked as the IT/network support "techie" for a large organisation that would only allow MS Internet Explorer on the computers. This was for security reasons. IE was the only browser that could be easily updated with the latest patches overnight without any user intervention - being built into Windows made this easy. Updates for the other browsers required user interaction, something that not all users bothered with so unpatched and insecure versions could be running on their computers.

Others will have different opinions.

This has nothing to do with Edge, Chrome or other browser and has something to do with a file association in those programs. For some reason the association with a CDP file in these programs has been pointed to some other application, or the program by default attempts to open the file directly.

In your settings for the application its self set the file-type for CDP to be downloaded rather than opened. If you don't want to fiddle around with settings, simply do a right-click and save-as on the download, which will download the CDP as Mike says.

Some of these sites, when you get to the download, there is no right-click to "save target as" or "save link as". It is as though the browser does not recognize the download and so downloads it as text. If you go back to the previous page and try to right-click and save as, it comes up as .php or .jsp, so it is something in the site programming....

Some of these sites, when you get to the download, there is no right-click to "save target as" or "save link as". It is as though the browser does not recognize the download and so downloads it as text. If you go back to the previous page and try to right-click and save as, it comes up as .php or .jsp, so it is something in the site programming....

I've run into that as well. It has something to do with the site and how the files are encoded. When that occurs, I let the file download incorrectly and then rename it to a CDP. It's easier that way than trying to figure out what's going on.

Thanks for letting us know that works, John. I was afraid it would all be converted to ascii or something and that would not work, so I will give that a try.

Back