Drone Cameras For Trainz?

Where can I get fancy cameras for Trainz to do fancy drone styled shots over railyards and other parts of the route? Are they on DLS or are there third party suppliers? If so, what keywords do I need to look for? Thanks.

Just press "4" (free roam view) and position yourself in any place you like to make a screenshot from?

Just press "4" (free roam view) and position yourself in any place you like to make a screenshot from?

Ok, I guess what I meant was to see a live action shot flying over a rail yard like I saw in some YouTube videos of Trainz sessions. I know I can place cameras along the route, but those are Still Shots. I'm looking for Moving Shots.

Under the Tools pull-out tab in Surveyor are cameras and other things including rulers. There are two kinds of cameras, static and tracking. You want to use the tracking camera and place it up high enough to see your train from above. When you press the 2 or 3 key, your default camera should jump to one of these trackside cameras.

You might have to experiment and fiddle to get the distance to where you want it.

Under the Tools pull-out tab in Surveyor are cameras and other things including rulers. There are two kinds of cameras, static and tracking. You want to use the tracking camera and place it up high enough to see your train from above. When you press the 2 or 3 key, your default camera should jump to one of these trackside cameras.

You might have to experiment and fiddle to get the distance to where you want it.

Sounds good. Will try it out. Thanks John.

You can put a (invisible) camera on an invisible track like used for airplanes.
For this camera shots I use a helicopter most of the time.

You can not do free roaming (because the camera is stuck to the invisible rail) but it gives very nice camera shots from above.
Of course you can, while flying, rotate de camera in any angle.
You have to be creative with laying the camera route.
Very low and very high is easy to do.

For example: the Niddertalbahn (free) has a flying camera too.

You can put a (invisible) camera on an invisible track like used for airplanes.
For this camera shots I use a helicopter most of the time.

You can not do free roaming (because the camera is stuck to the invisible rail) but it gives very nice camera shots from above.
Of course you can, while flying, rotate de camera in any angle.
You have to be creative with laying the camera route.
Very low and very high is easy to do.

For example: the Niddertalbahn (free) has a flying camera too.

I get what your saying. Yea I wanted to create the effect that makes it look like someone is flying a camera drone over the railyard like I saw in some YouTube vids.

I get what your saying. Yea I wanted to create the effect that makes it look like someone is flying a camera drone over the railyard like I saw in some YouTube vids.

That's something I want to see also, as stated in a thread I posted on the same topic. In 'Free Roaming' view, as accessed via pressing the '4' button on the keyboard, we are rotating around the compass, like we're walking around something. However, 'Drone View' is the complete opposite of the free roaming view, where we're in the center and watching everything going on around us. In 'Drone View', we are not restrained by the camera being at a 'fixed' location on the route which is what 'Tracking View' is. 'Drone View' will allow us to follow a train at any height or any distance from it, along with being able to zoom in on it, regardless how far or close it is to one of the cameras used in 'Tracking View'. We can't do this with a helicopter as we will end up looking at the helicopter instead of the train, regardless of whether we use external view, tracking view, or free roaming view. Here's an example of what we're talking about, with most of the footage taken from a drone flying above Norfolk and Western 611 leaving Asheville with a mainline excursion. There are several examples in the video we're talking about. From 1:00 to 1:05 the drone rotates then go up, while staying in one place, a combination we can't do in Trainz using cameras. Between 1:16 and 1:20, the drone goes up, and then begin 'pacing' the train, a combination we can't do with the cameras in Trainz. Between 1:34 and 1:38, the drone moves forward of the train, then begins rotating around it, something we can't do with the cameras in Trainz. Between 1:45 and 2:18, the drone moves up, down, rotates to the left while staying still, then moves up and backwards, a combination you can't do with the cameras in Trainz. Between 2:35 and 2:38, the drone moves to the left while turning to the right, which we can't do with the cameras in Trainz. Between 3:28 and 3:44, the camera on the drone moves in a downwards, then upwards arc while turning to the left, which we cannot do wit the cameras in Trainz. Between 3:49 and 3:51, the drone moves upwards and backwards at the same time, something we cannot do with the cameras in Trainz. Between 4:07 and 4:35, the drone moves in a downhill and straight path, then begins rotating while going downhill and in a straight path. The drone stops going down and continues to rotate, then begins moving upwards and an upwards arc to the right. This whole combination of drone movements that cannot do using the cameras in Trainz.

Place your BNSF50 Invisatrack looking straight down from above ... at each track spline point place a strange looking building/scenery asset, as a marker (or a small painted texture dot)... Apply the track height of ex: 100m, or 200m, to each BNSF50 Invisatrack track spline point ... Then fly a B52 stratofortress bomber in the air, as a loco/camera :hehe:

Last edited:
Place your BNSF50 Invisatrack looking straight down from above ... at each track spline point place a strange looking building/scenery asset, as a marker (or a small painted texture dot)... Apply the track height of ex: 100m, or 200m, to each BNSF50 Invisatrack track spline point ... Then fly a B52 stratofortress bomber in the air, as a loco/camera :hehe:

That would not work. Instead of following the train, you'd be following the plane/helicopter or whatever you're flying, regardless if you're using external view or tracking view. You'd also be stuck with the path of the plane/chopper, so you wouldn't be able to follow the train if it, say, leaves the mainline and heads up a branchline while the invisible track continues to follow the mainline. You'd have to have invisible switches and multiple paths in the air for the plane/chopper to follow the train wherever it goes on the route.

And that is what you would do ... lay a path of BNSF Invisatrack route wide, in the air, for your plane or chopper, and look down on the train running below

Last edited:
Would you like help from an old Englishman?

You can use the Euromodeller technique!

You have what you need right in front of you. :D

Get your train in motion.
Select camera position 2 on your main keyboard.
You should be following your train now.
Here's the trick........ hold down the shift key (either one) and then press one of the arrow keys on your keyboard. (left, right, up, down)
If you want to be really slick then press 2 keys at the same time e.g. an up key and a left or right key.
With a bit of experimenting you can get the effect you are after.

Have fun :)

Last edited:
Back