Can I recover a 'suddenly' dead SSD?

narrowgauge

92 year oldTrainz veteran
I was working with Trainz which is/was on an SSD when without warning the computer shut down. It was started again without any apparent problems but the SSD has gone missing. Are there any tricks to get the computer to see the SSD again? The drive has not been showing any signs of problems. I don't think it was a power glitch, all my machines are fed by UPS's.

To answer the inevitable question, I have a backup which is well out of date and do I regret this? Yes! Am I an idiot? Yes!

Peter

I have now done what I should have done first, I did a couple of F12 reboots and the drive is recovered. Next task is a complete backup.

Last edited:
Peter,

I'm so sorry to hear this. This sadly is a problem with SSDs not being an actual hard drive but instead a piece of silicon just like a thumbdrive, which was pulled out without being ejected.

This company here Easeus:

https://www.easeus.com

has a utility which can hopefully recover your media.

If this doesn't work, there's another which is supposedly helpful for this called. ISO Buster.

https://www.isobuster.com

I have both and have used them not for this but for moving data and reading ISO files beyond the usual mounting of the iso files as a filesystem so I don't know how well they'll work for you.

Good luck.

narrowgauge - Whew! Lucky you. If it was your C:\ drive 850 EVO, then your next task is to go to the Samsung Magician software that came with your SSD to find out what went wrong and to get a device health status report.
(Check the integrity of the physical SATA and power connections to the drive itself first).
See if the S.M.A.R.T. report run from the first screen of the Magician software delivers any clues about what just happened...
What is the 'Total bytes written' shown on the opening screen? Your drive is rated for more than 200Tb written and a MTF of many years.
I'd expect to see yours in the low teens or early 20s, unless you're really pushing a lot of data through that drive on a daily basis.

Last edited:
I was trying to recover data from my broken Crucial SSD, files looked well and complete after recovery but some bigger were broken (missing blocks).

While potentially loosing your SSD sucks, the title of this thread is piss poor and you obviously don't know anyone affected by suicide/ depression.

Scratchy,

I sincerely apology to anyone who was or will be disturbed or offended by my black humour. As this could be deemed offensive, perhaps a helpful person could delete the thread.

Fortunately, it seems that the drive is OK and for some reason, when I restarted, the BIOS did not see it. It is currently being backed up.

Thanks to all who responded.

Peter

You are very lucky, Peter. It sounds to me to be more of a BIOS glitch, or a loose cable perhaps than an actual drive problem.

The title was quite appropriate for me though, I hate to say it. This weekend I received a CRC error while backing up my T:ANE hard drive. I was able to recover my data, with some loss because I happened to have corrupted my backup in the process and then had to scrounge through multiple backups to bring stuff up-to-date. My routes are intact which I think counts. It's time to clean up old junk anyway I suppose.

@ John. That's why I have double backups on two external drives as well as on an internal drive.

@ Peter More than likely a loose cable, those Sata connectors IMO are not sturdy enough and easily work loose, even the latching ones! Probably IMO caused by vibration.

Malc

I think it was a BIOS glitch. I made no physical changes or open the case. All I did was to reboot, the drive was there for selection, I selected it and I had the drive back, no data loss and no bad back from wrestling with a tower computer. The computer is sitting on the floor away from my desk, I was seated at the time so I don't think that vibration was the culprit.

It may have been caused by what I was doing which was to attach a file to an email. I dunno!

I think that it was "just one of those things".

John, thank you for your thoughts.

Peter

Peter

I would grab a copy of a disk monitoring tool that can read the SMART data on the SSD and have a look at the values there. Your SSD manufacturer may have their own monitoring tool. You may find something lurking there.

Back