New Owner Questions

If you're able to open the asset for edit then it should be possible to fix that using either Images2TGA (unless it's payware textures) or manually creating the .texture.txt files.

If it's built-in content though, an extended database repair may help - see https://support.trainzportal.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/36/0/extended-database-repair for instructions.

Shane

This is part of the TMR Purchase I made yesterday, it came with the downloads as far as I can tell. Why should I have to fix this? I am not comfortable editing any files. Has anyone checked to see if the asset file in the download is faulty? Or is this something caused by me? Status only shows Modified, Faulty. Not payware or builtin as far as I can tell.

I just don't understand how all of a sudden all my other routes that I purchased previously now have the same faulty asset when they didn't prior to download and install of TMR.

I would hope the file in the download is checked so no one else has to go through this should they make the same purchase.

Extended DB Repair completed, same asset still faulty in all previously mentioned routes.

Same errors as listed above.

Would be nice to have a good asset file, I now have 7 payware routes with a faulty asset. I wish I knew how it caused all the other routes to go bad also.

Would be nice to have a good asset file, I now have 7 payware routes with a faulty asset. I wish I knew how it caused all the other routes to go bad also.

The other routes are using the older version 1 but when you installed the TMR2017 the asset was updated to version 2. This makes version 1 obsolete. If you deleted the version 2 then the other routes will go back to using version 1 as that will become the newest version, Even TMR2017 might work as well.

stagecoach - Thank you very much, that did indeed fix the problem with that asset. However I now have another problem - ECML Kings Cross shows as having missing dependencies, yet when I view the dependencies nothing shows as missing. Tried doing db repair, download purchased items, but the Route still shows as missing dep's, yet nothing missing in CM.

Don't know if I should laugh or cry :)

Thank you again for the help, very much appreciated.

stagecoach - Thank you very much, that did indeed fix the problem with that asset. However I now have another problem - ECML Kings Cross shows as having missing dependencies, yet when I view the dependencies nothing shows as missing. Tried doing db repair, download purchased items, but the Route still shows as missing dep's, yet nothing missing in CM.

Don't know if I should laugh or cry :)

Thank you again for the help, very much appreciated.

Are any of the assets shown as faulty? If so, try "Revert to Original" . Also, be sure to use 'Show Dependencies Recursively".

I trust you, I can only go by what the website says - that the purchase includes 4 M120 Connectable Modules by "itareus". So they aren't the Modules that I "think" come with it, they are the Modules that are "advertised" to come with it.
The text on the website is wrong. I now know for sure.

Edit:
Tony confirmed to me he will update the text.
/edit

I just booted my TMR2017 and did this filter:
Install = True
Category = Route​

The list showed these routes:

• <kuid2:523:19723122:17> Kickstarter County (by Auran) (*)
  • <kuid2:69871:2200:10> The Bidye Traction Railroad - Model Trainz (by Philskene)
  • <kuid2:69871:2263:8> The Shortz & Kerl Traction Railroad - Model Trainz (by Philskene)
  • <kuid2:69871:2269:5> Port Zyd & Fulazturn Railroad - Model Trainz (by Philskene)
  • <kuid2:82412:104611:9> Milwaukee Road Avery-Drexel (by Tume) (*)
  • <kuid2:103748:100007:4> Brazemore Yard (by Eso)
  • <kuid2:103748:100050:4> Bea-Dawe Model Railway (by Eso)
  • <kuid2:109664:100020:9> Franklin Avenue Industrial (by Abcdefaqoz)
  • <kuid2:243828:100015:4> Appen (by Itareus)
  • <kuid2:429398:100003:13> Japan - Model Trainz (by Acelaamtrak)
  • <kuid:645812:12005> M120 - module example 1 (1 baseboard, basic) (by me)
  • <kuid:645812:12006> M120 - module example 2 (2 baseboards) (by me)
  • <kuid:645812:12007> M120 - module example 3 (1 baseboard) (by me)
  • <kuid:645812:12008> M120 - module example 4 (2 baseboards) (by me)
(*) I don't know if this is a 100% clean install or that it includes "payware routes from TANE" or something like that, but the list at least should not be longer then the above; it does not contain other downloaded routes.
I added the authors between brackets at the end. Notice the 4 modules by me and 1 route by Itareus.

Anyway (repeating myself),
Still not your biggest issue; those things are very basic and found on the DLS anyway (plus a bunch of better modules can now be found there).

Last edited:
I have run into this asphalt problem, as well. It was easy for me to fix with images2tga, because I am very experienced in this by now. Somewhere along the way, texture.txt files became mandatory and obviously a lot of content was not updated to reflect this. This to me is a serious quality control issue for N3V. If you are going to change the way things work, then you better make sure the assets you are selling meet your own criteria. Otherwise you are, in effect, selling faulty merchandise and no advice on how to fix it changes that. Why does N3V not just go in there and create those texture.txt files for the asset on the DLS? I don't understand why they let their paying customers get confused and frustrated. It is NOT going to help sales!

Added Note, I went through the list above. I do not have the M120's but I do see them on the DLS, so will get those. I did see Bae Dawe had Faulty Dependecies and it was a streetlight that I had to fix with the same method above, no texture.txt file, so the customer may have an issue with that as well...

Last edited:
I have run into this asphalt problem, as well. It was easy for me to fix with images2tga, because I am very experienced in this by now. Somewhere along the way, texture.txt files became mandatory and obviously a lot of content was not updated to reflect this. This to me is a serious quality control issue for N3V. If you are going to change the way things work, then you better make sure the assets you are selling meet your own criteria. Otherwise you are, in effect, selling faulty merchandise and no advice on how to fix it changes that. Why does N3V not just go in there and create those texture.txt files for the asset on the DLS? I don't understand why they let their paying customers get confused and frustrated. It is NOT going to help sales!

Added Note, I went through the list above. I do not have the M120's but I do see them on the DLS, so will get those. I did see Bae Dawe had Faulty Dependecies and it was a streetlight that I had to fix with the same method above, no texture.txt file, so the customer may have an issue with that as well...

When an asset is exported from a 3d modeling program such as Blender, the textures are changed to the internal file.texture format. We can't see the contents because these are binary format when the asset is submitted in Content Manager. When the asset is decompressed when opened for editing, we get the two parts, the texture its self, usually a Targa (.tga) file plus it's texture definitions file, or the file.texture.txt.

This works fine for user-created assets, however, when assets are further compacted as in built-in and old payware stuff Pre-TS12 HF4 that we can export, Content Manager doesn't fully decompress the assets and leaves only the .texture files instead and causes an error because these files can't be read natively outside of the program, and are only read by the graphics engine. Images2TGA is the only tool we have available to us that can read the .texture files and extract the graphics file and the .texture file from that package.

With that said, N3V isn't responsible for this since technically we shouldn't be importing old built-ins and payware, but we do because we need the dependency. I know what will be said, but that's what we've been told and they are technically right here.

What is an issue, however, is the change in suitable formats, or rather the enforcement of suitable formats for graphics. This has caused some angst among the users where the program looks for a .texture file instead of the texture.tga. For this the user needs to create a .texture.txt file with the graphics file in it and TILE=ST or something like it. (I can't remember off hand). This .texture is referenced in the config.txt file, and the asset submitted. (Or committed in TS12 terminology).

But... this was thrown at us as a curve ball because what worked before is not working now, because the rule was enforced without mention. I have a problem with this as well because these changes should be noted in release notes along with the bug fixes instead of leaving stuff for us to find the hard way. Sure it may be documented somewhere and noted that the rules will change, but let us know when they've changed and refer to the documentation if there is any.

Thanks for that information, John. I can see you started from the beginning on your timeline and you have a lot of valuable infrmation for people like me that are fairly new.

Back