I'm working on a children's railroad story book.

JonMyrlennBailey

It would be nice to have a fun adventure story about a caboose and a moose since they rhyme and children are easily drawn to rhymes, rhythm and alliterations
in literature. I also need clever illustrators for the story book as well. Children love to look at pictures.

I need help from Trainzers and those heavily into American train culture to help me complete it. Here is what I had started as follows:

Bruce the Moose and the Loose Caboose(How Bruce the Moose Made the Caboose Vamoose)
by Jonathan Bailey, No US Copyright

Once upon a time, Tim Jones, a locomotive engineer for an American railroad in the Pacific Northwest wilderness parked his freight train on an upgrade one November morning. He and his fireman partner, Howard Smith, climbed out of the cab of the big black steam engine to fill the tender up with water from the tank at the water stop. George Brown was the train conductor and occupied the little red caboose at the rear of the train. He bunked in the caboose with Steve Harris, the signalman. Both men got off the train and used the outhouse nearby the water tower.

All of a sudden, out of the woods came a big bull moose that local people knew as Bruce. He was dark brown and had huge, wide antlers. He spotted the lever on the caboose which is to uncouple it from the train. It was dark and slender like a twig. Moose are accustomed to eating small twigs and tree branches in the wild. Bruce slowly walked over closer toward the caboose. The twig-like lever on the caboose that released the coupler pin was also sweet-smelling with root beer. The train crew were fond of root beer and accidentally spilt some on the coupler lever of the caboose the day before while drinking as they were going about their daily work. Bruce with his strong nose could smell the sweet aroma of the root beer and then he ambled up close to the caboose to take a lick. The wind carried the scent from the caboose lever to the moose's nose. Bruce started to lick the lever of the caboose. It was a delicious flavor to this large beast. Root beer does have a taste like the bark of trees. He wrapped his long tongue around the lever and pulled it upward as if he were about to eat a small tree branch. Suddenly, the caboose was uncoupled from the boxcar in front of it and it started to roll backward down the track. Before long, the caboose was hurrying down the mountain as a runaway car! George and Steve had been walking back toward the caboose and had immediately noticed what the moose had just done. The men hollered, "Get away from that train, you stupid animal!"

Last edited:
Well, I could change "applejack" to "apple cider" for the sake of young, innocent minds. I don't want to promote alcoholism in children's literature.:hehe:
But there has to be a little drama to make the story exciting. There was even an episode of "Little House on the Prairie" in the 1970's about a
runaway caboose but this had a happy ending as nobody got hurt.

My story I am working on must have a plot so nobody gets hurt and all ends well. Would this plot even be more exciting if there were one or more people
actually on board the caboose as it speedily rolls down the mountain?

Basically, my plot has to be about a moose who accidentally causes a piece of railroad rolling stock, specifically a little red caboose, to roll away out of control.

MOOSE, BRUCE, CABOOSE and VAMOOSE are all rhyming words which appeal to children in a fun way.

The title could also be "Bruce the Moose and the Loose Caboose".

Last edited:
Yes, a classic runaway caboose story. The little engine that lost, but not really.
Now, how Pano lost his caboose is a mystery still. Could Bruce the Moose have
had something to do with it?

I have had goats and the neighbors had horses. They are vegetarians and love anything SWEET! My dogs are meat eaters and will go into chocolate bars if they can. There was a true story about a cow moose in Seattle years ago in a Reader's Digest book on animals who would stick her head into a bakery window to cop some cupcakes. Just about any animal will get his mouth on sugar or honey if he can. Believe me.
Anyway, it's just a fiction story. Small children have big imaginations. Moose commonly eat twigs and small tree branches. Bruce may have mistaken the train lever for a twig to eat.

Last edited:
yes, but my dogs got into it one and only one time and they survived: I have largely given up on chocolate and have moved to smoothies for something sweet anyway

Back