Antivirus & trainzutil.exe

Blutorse4792

Now T:ANE I can get into
*EDIT* I was able to solve this issue with a thorough cleaning and a re-installation of Trainz.

So the antivirus software that came bundled with my computer (which I don't normally use) popped up with a "Severe" threat from a Trojan called "VBCHINKY" which, upon research, appears to be a particularly nasty piece of malware. However, it is reporting that the source of this threat is the trainzutil.exe file (which was installed with TS12 ~18 months ago and last modified 6 months later). My usual antivirus software is not detecting any threats.

I'm not quite sure I want to write this off as a false positive just yet, but the whole situation strikes me as odd, especially considering that this hasn't happened before.

Last edited:
There is no reason to write it off as a false positive - infecting an EXE like this is exactly what these viruses do, and the warning should be taken seriously.

As this is an EXE that is easily replaceable you should let the AV quarantine it, and then delete it. Then do a thorough scan, to ensure that nothing is left that will re-ingect. Once you are sure that the machine is clean, you can reinstall Trainz and get TrainzUtil back, all clean and OK.

Back