Sinkholes

funnnyfarm

I use a Mac and everything is up to date. The route I have been working on for about 5 years is 1893-1900 from Everett to Wenatchee Great Northern Scenic Division over the Cascades Mountains. While going back to find a asset I used in a finished part of the route I find sections of the route (this area is in a very Mountain area) back down to a 000 elevation. Like a big square sink hole. I have not touched this area in a year. I have 2 questions; how did this happen? And the most important question is how do I fix it. The gray areas are the sinkholes. It's enough to make a person quit. Thanks funnnyfarm
http://tinypic.com/r/2nbhfmh/9 http://tinypic.com/r/2m46aed/9

I don't know how the Mac releases line up with Windows releases, but when I experienced this a few months ago it was a bug in SP2 and had been fixed in one of the beta release, the problem is if you saved it like that, that's how it now is, the only way to go back is to dig up a backup from before it went awry. Depending on what you have backups set to you may be able to revert to one of them (I'm not sure how the process goes on a Mac for that one, I finally figured out how to do it on my route before the last of my "good" backups disappeared since I only keep 7 days)

This never happens when you keep a base route in TRS2006 format, and edit it in TRS2006 surveyor, and only test it for running in higher versions of Trainz

Trainz ... 4 steps forward in higher version technology, 09, 10, 12, T:ANE ... and then the whole darn thing gets broken

Last edited:
I think your wright there is a bug. when I want to quit trainz I save and then go to the x. But lately I have to use Force Quit Application.
Dose anyone know where Trainz a new era store the saved files on a Mac? thanks funnnyfarm

I think your wright there is a bug. when I want to quit trainz I save and then go to the x. But lately I have to use Force Quit Application.
Dose anyone know where Trainz a new era store the saved files on a Mac? thanks funnnyfarm

Not directly, but check your T:ANE install path in the settings and go to that location in your File manager (Explorer in Windows).

There is then a backups folder and within there is stuff including folders in the YY-DD-MM format. Open up those folders and look for content-folders with your Kuid. The content will be in .tzarc format and will need to be copied to your edit folder and a DBR performed to reimport the file.

This is the gist of it and relates to both PC and Mac. Outside of that I can't give very detailed specifics due to the platform differences.

I know for me personally this happen in the past because of either the undo feature or texture replacement. I cannot remember which. It also affected parts of the route I was not working on.
I do believe that one of the service packs fixed it. Not sure which one.
Also I use windows.

Hope this helps.
Kenny

I think it is mostly missing textures that cause the huge sinkholes. I have had them on a lot of older that are missing textures as dependencies.

The TS12 and TANE sink holes and their opposite cousins, the "spires", are in my experience at least associated with "bald spots" in the ground textures but the texture assets are not missing, nor are they missing any dependencies. Whether one was the cause of the other or both were symptoms of something else is anyone's guess.

In TS12 and possibly TANE they almost always occurred along the joins between adjacent baseboards. The bald spots appeared where previously normal ground texturing had been painted using the same texture assets as found unaffected in the area immediately surrounding the abnormalities.

Other abnormalities such as dark patches in the texturing have also been associated with shared baseboard boundaries.

The TS12 and TANE sink holes and their opposite cousins, the "spires", are in my experience at least associated with "bald spots" in the ground textures but the texture assets are not missing, nor are they missing any dependencies. Whether one was the cause of the other or both were symptoms of something else is anyone's guess.

In TS12 and possibly TANE they almost always occurred along the joins between adjacent baseboards. The bald spots appeared where previously normal ground texturing had been painted using the same texture assets as found unaffected in the area immediately surrounding the abnormalities.

Other abnormalities such as dark patches in the texturing have also been associated with shared baseboard boundaries.

I recall seeing this once or twice way back in TRS2006 and then more frequently in TS2009 and up. In TRS2006 a route of mine developed a chain of spires that so happened to occur in a river and I turned these spires into a chain of islands after squishing them down.

The black spots I noticed used to occur when the baseboard fill option was used. Since those ancient days when this first occurred, I have avoided using that option and I haven't seen them since. I wonder if in part this, and the related missing texture places, resulting in rifts and spires, is related to texture memory space getting corrupted or running out of memory.

During the SP3 Beta, I did a merger of an old ca. TS2009 era route into T:ANE. The route came and had some missing texture places, though no textures were marked faulty, rows of spikes, and some great rifts across the mountains. In one place, and only on two baseboards and nowhere else, was some floating trees and other assets. Getting the height and adjusting the height, then hitting undo to remove any ground adjustment, plopped these assets right to the ground where they should be.

Back