Consist for "The Welsh Mountaineer"

jordon412

33 Year Old Railfan
I downloaded clam1952's 'Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland 2014 TANE' route and I noticed that there is a staging yard (a.k.a. fiddle yard) for the Conwy Valley Line. I've managed to track down the cars Arriva Trains Wales uses on both it and and the Cambrian Line, however, I'm more interested in the steam excursion "The Welsh Mountaineer". I've downloaded mike10's BR Mk1 coaches in both maroon and carmine paint schemes, and have downloaded all the versions of the cars except the sleeping car versions. I am wondering if anyone has ridden it and what cars are used, what paint schemes they wear and what locomotives available on the DLS would work best for this train.
EDIT: One more thing. Did they lead tender-first when arriving or leaving Blaenau Ffestiniog?

Last edited:
The Welsh Mountaineer usually is a short train (about 6 to 8 coaches) because the Conwy Valley line is notoriously steep and many steam locomotives have failed to make it in the past. The trains I have seen at Blaenau have been maroon and are normally made up of around half and half open firsts and open third plus a brake third. Sometimes they have an additional brake third acting as a support van for the steam loco, but other times they leave this behind at Llandudno to reduce the loadng in the Conwy Valley. Also note the locomotive used is usually quite a powerful one (again due to the step route) recent successful trains have been hauled by 8F, K3 and Royal Scot locomotives.

Also note that the Ariva trains on the Conwy Valley are class 150s and those on the Cambrian are class 158s. Another train that could be portrayed in the Conwy Valley is a diesel hauled special formed of a mix of first class MK1s and MK1 Pullmans.

The Welsh Mountaineer usually is a short train (about 6 to 8 coaches) because the Conwy Valley line is notoriously steep and many steam locomotives have failed to make it in the past. The trains I have seen at Blaenau have been maroon and are normally made up of around half and half open firsts and open third plus a brake third. Sometimes they have an additional brake third acting as a support van for the steam loco, but other times they leave this behind at Llandudno to reduce the loadng in the Conwy Valley. Also note the locomotive used is usually quite a powerful one (again due to the step route) recent successful trains have been hauled by 8F, K3 and Royal Scot locomotives.

Also note that the Ariva trains on the Conwy Valley are class 150s and those on the Cambrian are class 158s. Another train that could be portrayed in the Conwy Valley is a diesel hauled special formed of a mix of first class MK1s and MK1 Pullmans.

I got one Class 158 on the Cambrian Line, stopping at both platforms at Porthmadog and Minffordd, which uses two 'AJS Station 1x110s' at Porthmadog, one for each platform. and 'AJS Invisible Station 3.5' at Minffordd. The platforms representing Penrhyndeudraeth and Talsarnau also appear, each uses an 'AJS Station 1x50s'. The station for Llandecwyn does not appear on the line. I got another Class 158 and a Class 150/2 sitting at the fiddle yard for the Conwy Valley with another AJS Invisible Station 3.5 at Blaenau Ffestiniog.
Also, jetstreamsky has a Royal Scot in LMS black and BR Green. However, there's no matching tender for either. After looking at pictures online I decided to download his '4-6-0 Royal Scot BR Green' version and had to substitute his '4-6-2 Duchess Tender BR Green' for the tender. I also can't find a K3 on the DLS. However, I found 'LMS Class 5MT black' and a matching tender 'LMS Class 5MT black tender' made by tmz06003, which I downloaded.
EDIT: Here's my consist for The Welsh Mountaineer. I want to make sure I've got it correct:
Class 5MT and tender, 4 Maroon FO, 3 SO, and one BSO.

Last edited:
Consist seems about right. I think the Black Five was one of the locos that stalled on the bank and thus didn't make it all the way to Blaenau. There was one with double headed Black Fives that made it though. The liveries most suitable would be a BR Green Royal Scot as 46115 Scots Guardsman or the Black Fives in BR livery.

Consist seems about right. I think the Black Five was one of the locos that stalled on the bank and thus didn't make it all the way to Blaenau. There was one with double headed Black Fives that made it though. The liveries most suitable would be a BR Green Royal Scot as 46115 Scots Guardsman or the Black Fives in BR livery.

The LMS Class 5MT black was the only result on the DLS when I typed in '5mt'. jetstreamsky's Royal Scots were the only steam locomotives I got when I typed in 'scot', other than The Flying Scotsman. However, as I said before, there's no tender that goes with his Royal Scots when I search for 'scot' in both description and title, so if I'm going to run a Royal Scot I need a matching tender or one that I could in place of it if there is none.

The LMS locos I mentioned are all available as payware, either in the S&C pack or from GP Locomotives. Because of this there aren't any up to date DLS models. If you search "Black5" and "Blk5 Tender" you will find a BR liveried version of the Black 5 model you found earlier. It' rather outdated but should be acceptable as a "scenery" train in the background of your narrow gauge operations.

fare enough. :)

will you be doing any other locomotives of the Big four that came after the grouping? Might want to skip the GWR, given that Skipper has that railway covered.

Back