Article: What hardware will you need for TRS2019?

That was the LAN administrator messing up. Software is best loaded from the local hard drive. One of my summer students was working her second year in a different section and noted that Wordperfect took far longer to load than it did when working for me. The problem was the LAN Admin didn't understand that LAN speeds are measured in bits per second and hard drive access in bytes per second. Add in contention as multiple people try to load software at the same time and the LAN gets flooded you can't get more than 40% throughput if you try you get more collisions and throughput drops. I had a chat and the summer student who had worked with me previously she studied English sorted tho LAN out and how software was loaded.

Cheerio John

Whatever the cause, its been the same in every place I've worked in ,taking up to 10 minutes for a PC to boot up and load.

the Macs were used for video, audio, 3d work and photography and the PC'S mostly for CAD and photography. Part of the problem when video editing on a network in education is that the video files you create ( often huge ) need to be stored so the user AND others working on the project can access the work. in all the windows networks I've used ( in education ) their security is placed into a higher status than the user experience, so when using the network to store the work, only one user can access a project. if that person is not present the work cannot be accessed. Also bandwidth for uncompressed video is huge and thus most institutions just don't have it.The network bottlenecks within seconds and you cannot import to the software program . Thus the need to be able to import directly to the hard drive not the central server. I've only seen this done at all on PC's in one campus and it did not work well overall because only the logged on user themselves could access the files. .

The software on all the computers was the same across campus . The entire adobe creative suite, and office and a few other smaller programs. There was Autocad and 3d max on the PCs and on the Macs there was Final Cut Pro , IMovie, Motion 5, Logic and Carrara 3d. plus a huge amount of fonts and sound effects that were not used on the pc's so it more or less was about even software load . The macs had all of this software on their hard drives, so it was available on bootup , they were both standalone and networked whereas the windows machines were only networked.

The point is, the macs could be used as stand alones because its extremely difficult to mess them up so badly they cannot be used even with a generic login , whereas the windows units could not be set up like that ( for whatever reason the IT guys had ) and when being used by a group this was a real issue. We could never set up video editing correctly on the network with Windows. the macs worked out the box for this and other media tasks and saved us many thousands of dollars in tech time thereby justifying their purchase, for whatever reason they lasted two years longer, even though they were only core duos and the windows machines were quad cores. Both types of computer had about equal use although the macs were used by fewer staff who possibly looked after them more than the others did ( against vandalism ).

Last edited:
Or the comparison is between a thin client and a fully configured workstation - not a reasonable comparison.

see my reply below,there were more or less the same number of heavy duty programs installed on both platforms and probably about 150 more fonts installed on the Macs.the only difference was the PC rooms were not as well supervised so vandalism may have been a factor in their early demise.

An education environment is difficult in that everyone wants to load up at the same time so dump it on the local drive. Just network those things you need to. Windows can be configured with restricted access users that are not allowed to install software and the other thing you can do is make the software read only and give each user a separate account that way thy can only screw themselves up. It's not difficult to do but does require some IT knowledge and it sounds like you didn't have it available.

Cheerio John

An education environment is difficult in that everyone wants to load up at the same time so dump it on the local drive. Just network those things you need to. Windows can be configured with restricted access users that are not allowed to install software and the other thing you can do is make the software read only and give each user a separate account that way thy can only screw themselves up. It's not difficult to do but does require some IT knowledge and it sounds like you didn't have it available.

Cheerio John

In education, more or less everything has to be networked as everyone submits work via computer. You have to have it all sewn up tight because students are always trying to play games etc . As for standalones, you have to have a special dispensation to do a machine that has a generic login so you can work on it off the network, ( but even then they still had a network log in so people could print and back up their work and so they could be backed up and re-imaged). .

All users had restricted use , no way you can allow students to install anything on pc's as the the whole thing would be chaos within a day :) the software was read only and each user had a separate account.

The thing is you have a cohort who cannot be trusted who don't know what the hell they are doing in most cases and a good number who spend their time trying to hack into the network.

I would have preferred to just have a local network with a desktop client to connect to the net and printing,with a large backup drive in my room which is what i did in the 1990s, but it was not allowed after 2000 .

You want a MAC?

PC gaming is done on the Windows platform always has been always will be.

MAC is just a stepchild.

I remember the old quote "Why would I buy a MAC it can't run DOOM".

My late brother bought a MAC because his wife's coworkers said how great they were. Went back to a Windows system six months later.

Not that there is anything wrong with a MAC.

Harold

If you want a MAC for free, install Ubuntu Linux and KDE Plasma for the desktop. You have yourself a MAC+. Ubuntu supports all the latest PC hardware.

How about adding the shift + Z function as an added control feature in the new TRS 2019 so that the user can display and monitor the frame rates of the game when in driver mode, a feature that is used in other product train simulators available on the market ?

How about adding the shift + Z function as an added control feature in the new TRS 2019 so that the user can display and monitor the frame rates of the game when in driver mode, a feature that is used in other product train simulators available on the market ?

Absolutely! That would be really helpful - on full-screen and windowed, please.

Peter.

If you want a MAC for free, install Ubuntu Linux and KDE Plasma for the desktop. You have yourself a MAC+. Ubuntu supports all the latest PC hardware.

TO put the anti mac posts here in perspective,, i installed a 8gb rx580 on my 2010 mac pro and it runs sp3 at 60 fps on ultra settings on highly detailed routes , no doubt a newer machine could do better with a decent card, now,I know it would get much higher frame rates in windows taking advantage of direct x , but if you install window on the Mac using boot camp , you can have the best of both worlds. if trainz is eventually ever optimized for metal .mac performance would be much better.

TO put the anti mac posts here in perspective,, i installed a 8gb rx580 on my 2010 mac pro and it runs sp3 at 60 fps on ultra settings on highly detailed routes , no doubt a newer machine could do better with a decent card, now,I know it would get much higher frame rates in windows taking advantage of direct x , but if you install window on the Mac using boot camp , you can have the best of both worlds. if trainz is eventually ever optimized for metal .mac performance would be much better.

Are you saying that TRS19, or any other version of Trainz, will run better on a Bootcamp partition running Windows than on a Mac partition running Mac OS X?

If TRS19 were loaded onto a Bootcamp partition running Windows, e.g., Windows 8.1, could it run TurfX?

Cayden

Are you saying that TRS19, or any other version of Trainz, will run better on a Bootcamp partition running Windows than on a Mac partition running Mac OS X?

If TRS19 were loaded onto a Bootcamp partition running Windows, e.g., Windows 8.1, could it run TurfX?

Cayden

You should ( theoretically) get much better results running Trainz in windows on a bootcamp partition , as you would with most games that are primarily made for PC . Trainz doesn't support Metal so you aren't getting the benefit of that technology when you install it on the MAC.
Apple are pushing their own tech just as windows does, direct x is microsoft tech , so its absent on the Mac and also to add insult to injury there's been a distinct lack of development of open gl in the past few years as Apple try to push developers to integrate Metal in their games . if you had Tane on bootcamp the improvement would be especially noticeable if you were using 4k screens with everything maxed out. I've had issues with trainz on PC ( especially 2012 ) and generally find it more reliable on the mac ( if less responsive ) but for a driving experience the PC is definitely the best performer .

Last edited:
Lamentável jogo totalmente cheio de bugs gráficos não carregam por completo jogo travando a todo o momento, como pode minha máquina (pc) roda Batleffield V , Fifa 19 no ultra e não roda este game , assinei um mês e estou arrependido caso não arrumem estes bugs desistirei até mesmo de comprar o jogo. Jogo muito caro para muitos erros.

Lamentável jogo totalmente cheio de bugs gráficos não carregam por completo jogo travando a todo o momento, como pode minha máquina (pc) roda Batleffield V , Fifa 19 no ultra e não roda este game , assinei um mês e estou arrependido caso não arrumem estes bugs desistirei até mesmo de comprar o jogo. Jogo muito caro para muitos erros.

Perhaps wait until it is really released. It is still really beta at the moment.

Cheerio John

Hesitation

I purchased 2019 yesterday and installed it. It loaded fine and seems to be working pretty good. But I am having some problems. The biggest one is hesitation in the movement of the trains. I have been playing the Farming Simulator for years and it works great. No loading problems etc. Is there a setting that can cause this. I have downloaded the lastest NIVIDA drivers, etc. I hope I can get this fixed. The game was expensive and I would really like it work. Any ideas?

I purchased 2019 yesterday and installed it. It loaded fine and seems to be working pretty good. But I am having some problems. The biggest one is hesitation in the movement of the trains. I have been playing the Farming Simulator for years and it works great. No loading problems etc. Is there a setting that can cause this. I have downloaded the lastest NIVIDA drivers, etc. I hope I can get this fixed. The game was expensive and I would really like it work. Any ideas?

What is your hardware?

Thanks John

Back