Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: What hardware will you need for TRS2019?

Quote Originally Posted by hminky View Post
    What other Train-sim runs on a Mac?

AMD video cards? only bought one for TS12 that was enough for me.

Nvidia is better hands down.

Harold
    Nvidia is only better on PC or if they are supported Mac versions., i have a GTX 680 2gb which is about the last Nvidia card that is Mac bootable thst runs TANE well on low settings
    . i also have a GTX 970 and that runs TANE like a snail as for some reason its not optimized to use open gl well on the mac, probably its the nvidia drivers. i run the gtx 680 using mac native drivers.
    . the current RX580 may well be not as good as the Nvidia cards in theory, but as they are in current iMacs and ( some of them ) that one can buy for PC ,boot out the box. They "should" work well with TANE . However i'm not going to take a punt of $570 to see if one does or not as i've already spent $400 on the GTX 970 which was a complete waste .....
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

United States of America, Delaware, Dover

Quote Originally Posted by dangavel View Post
    Nvidia is only better on PC or if they are supported Mac versions., i have a GTX 680 2gb which is about the last Nvidia card that is Mac bootable thst runs TANE well on low settings
    . i also have a GTX 970 and that runs TANE like a snail as for some reason its not optimized to use open gl well on the mac, probably its the nvidia drivers. i run the gtx 680 using mac native drivers.
    . the current RX580 may well be not as good as the Nvidia cards in theory, but as they are in current iMacs and ( some of them ) that one can buy for PC ,boot out the box. They "should" work well with TANE . However i'm not going to take a punt of $570 to see if one does or not as i've already spent $400 on the GTX 970 which was a complete waste .....
    PC gaming is done on the Windows platform always has been always will be.

MAC is just a stepchild.

I remember the old quote "Why would I buy a MAC it can't run DOOM".

My late brother bought a MAC because his wife's coworkers said how great they were. Went back to a Windows system six months later.

Not that there is anything wrong with a MAC.

Harold
    Last edited by hminky; June 10th, 2018 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hminky View Post
    PC gaming is done on the Windows platform always has been always will be.

MAC is just a stepchild.

I remember the old quote "Why would I buy a MAC it can't run DOOM".

My late brother bought a MAC because his wife's coworkers said how great they were. Went back to a Windows system six months later.

Not that there is anything wrong with a MAC.

Harold
    Yes but if you do other things on a Mac then Trainz can be added. Remember many people with a graphics background started on Macs and having to learn something different after twenty years isn't always easy. I'd probably buy a refurbished Dell or HP workstation and drop in the GTX 970.

Talk nicely to Anne she picked one up for $399 somewhere close to Aussy.

Cheerio John

Most veteran simmers with an interest in more than just one product, will also more than likely be using Nvidia as these are the only GPU's under which MSTS will now run.

Not taking sides in the tree discussion, but these are a fairly essential part of most routes unless you're building the Victoria Line or Glasgow Subway. If you were to count the assets used in the average route, the majority of these will be foliage of some kind. So essential the program is optimized to treat these as efficiently as possible, both close up and as distant scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by johnwhelan View Post
    Yes but if you do other things on a Mac then Trainz can be added. Remember many people with a graphics background started on Macs and having to learn something different after twenty years isn't always easy. I'd probably buy a refurbished Dell or HP workstation and drop in the GTX 970.

Talk nicely to Anne she picked one up for $399 somewhere close to Aussy.

Cheerio John
    I have a rog750,top specs, hardly ever use it, ( and quite honestly it doesn’t run TANE much better then the Mac Pro does ) I just don’t like windows and all my graphics software is Mac. I just need a good graphics card that will work with TANE , should not be too much to ask, but it appears it is !
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Most veteran simmers with an interest in more than just one product, will also more than likely be using Nvidia as these are the only GPU's under which MSTS will now run.

Not taking sides in the tree discussion, but these are a fairly essential part of most routes unless you're building the Victoria Line or Glasgow Subway. If you were to count the assets used in the average route, the majority of these will be foliage of some kind. So essential the program is optimized to treat these as efficiently as possible, both close up and as distant scenery.
    Yep they are frame rate killers , I used a few of the jvc pine groups in the distant background , they were low poly, but they were animated to blow in the breeze, the route ground to a halt, but once I swapped them for the non animated version, things went back to normal. It’s important that we can use vegetation freely and still attain decent frame rates.

I hope you release it as DVD Retail without Steam like TANE, furthermore a HD Version of Dark Reign would also be a good idea

It would appear that Trainz needs a Desktop tower PC, and that any laptop under $2400 will be inadequate, and eventiually fry itself and burn up

Trainz ... The most CPU and GPU demanding video game on the market

It doesn't matter if the hardware requirements keep rising every few years, keeps improvements and economy running. At least as long as gaming experience is worth it. However - I highly suspect you are also progressing in graphics API in one of the next releases - Direc3D11 and OpenGL *IS* already outdated - even if not for TRS2019 yet. At least I looking forward it.
    Lockheed
    PS: I happily volunteer in any prototype testing as I do it all the time at work =)

I will enjoy this game because my PC is a gaming one and it has got excellent performance.

Blog Entries

no shock that the development is being done mostly for PC. Macs can't keep up, it's quite rude to demand the stuff for mac when your mac toasters can't run the game. Just look at those visuals, no mac will smoothly run it at high settings.

But AMD guys deserve the same attention as us Nvidia users. The whole "Nvidia is better then AMD" mindset is not a good one to have. AMD cards and processors are capable of a lot, and that should be recognized.

Just my 2 cents. I previously states I was never gonna buy another Trainz product again, but I guess we'll see, this one looks pretty nice.
    Last edited by ktain.ny; June 12th, 2018 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Added a point about AMD

Oh, and while AMD's next high end cards might take a while to put the company on more stable financial basis we might see some blue "Intel's first discrete GPU coming in 2020". More vendors to choose from, more variety, more options, more use cases for open standards. Yay!
    Lockheed

Quote Originally Posted by ktain.ny View Post
    no shock that the development is being done mostly for PC. Macs can't keep up, it's quite rude to demand the stuff for mac when your mac toasters can't run the game. Just look at those visuals, no mac will smoothly run it at high settings.

But AMD guys deserve the same attention as us Nvidia users. The whole "Nvidia is better then AMD" mindset is not a good one to have. AMD cards and processors are capable of a lot, and that should be recognized.

Just my 2 cents. I previously states I was never gonna buy another Trainz product again, but I guess we'll see, this one looks pretty nice.
    Well you just bought into the mindset that a PC is better than a mac haven't you ? in general for playing games that are PC optimized its largely true, but finally apple have improved their desktop offerings ( the laptops are still woeful for graphics. )

I am NOT demanding anything mate ,no more than any other users, all I want to know is what i need to run TANE on a current Mac and whether the current AMD cards that ship with macs on the market will run the game. I would like to know just how you have worked out that NO mac will run it, are you a mac expert and speaking from experience of running TANE in the current iMacs?

I think the current iMac with an 8gb AMD RX 580 should be ok to run at high settings, since my 10 year old 6 core Mac Pro is not as fast as that and can still chug along with a 2gb gtx 680 ,can you give me a reason why it shouldn't be ?

Now I wont defend apple for cost ( the iMAc pro is insanely expensive) and their selection of graphics cards in the past has hamstrung most of their machines., but i do get cheesed off when people who obviously don't use macs come in and make all encompassing statements and IMHO are pretty rude themselves to a whole section of users of the software----- ' toasters ' indeed !
    Would you care to tell us just what is wrong with these specs to run the 2019 version at high settings ? if I am wrong then perhaps Tony Hilliam will put me right .
    current iMac 27 inch
    Retina 5K display

• 4.2GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz)
    • 64GB of 2400MHz DDR4
    • 2TB SSD
    • Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB of video memory

• and since its rated about twice as fast as the 27 inc iMac , I would imagine that the iMac pro will manage quite nicely

Imac pro ( starter configuration )

• 3.2GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W processor
    • Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz
    • 32GB of 2666MHz ECC memory, configurable up to 128GB
    • 1TB of SSD storage1
    • Radeon Pro Vega 56 with 8GB of HBM2 memory
    • it can go up to this spec, why would'nt that run 2019 verison ?
    • 2.3GHz 18-Core Intel Xeon W processor with Turbo Boost up to 4.3GHz
    • 128GB of 2666MHz DDR4 ECC memory
    • 4TB SSD
    • Radeon Pro Vega 64 with 16GB of HBM2 memory
    Last edited by dangavel; June 12th, 2018 at 10:53 PM.

The thing in current mAcs is that they are stuck with OpenGL 4.1 from 2010. Even if the hardware is more powerful - the software can't fully utilize it. Unless you put put effort in coding in a more Mac-only language. By Apple's system design, not software design N3V or any other Mac game maker choose. But we are in same discussion as with linux: platform specific programming. (well, not completely true as linux very well supports OpenGL 4.5 from 2014 and heavily pushing it to the most recent 4.6 from 2017 - but still, there is more to do than "just" the graphics API). In any case - it's time to phase out any 32-bit only software, software that does not fully utilize all (8) cores from a CPU and no one should get any GPU anymore with less than 4GB. Not seen any software on my system yet that fully utilizes all 8GB of RAM my box has but 16GB should be minimum to keep your hardware fit for a while.
    Lockheed
    PS: OpenGL has no future to it's backward compatibility restriction. Successor Vulkan also brings the platform porting benefits OpenGL always dreamed of.
    Last edited by lockheed02; June 12th, 2018 at 11:19 PM. Reason: added PS

Quote Originally Posted by lockheed02 View Post
    The thing in current mAcs is that they are stuck with OpenGL 4.1 from 2010. Even if the hardware is more powerful - the software can't fully utilize it. Unless you put put effort in coding in a more Mac-only language. By Apple's system design, not software design N3V or any other Mac game maker choose. But we are in same discussion as with linux: platform specific programming. (well, not completely true as linux very well supports OpenGL 4.5 from 2014 and heavily pushing it to the most recent 4.6 from 2017 - but still, there is more to do than "just" the graphics API). In any case - it's time to phase out any 32-bit only software, software that does not fully utilize all (8) cores from a CPU and no one should get any GPU anymore with less than 4GB. Not seen any software on my system yet that fully utilizes all 8GB of RAM my box has but 16GB should be minimum to keep your hardware fit for a while.
    Lockheed
    PS: OpenGL has no future to it's backward compatibility restriction. Successor Vulkan also brings the platform porting benefits OpenGL always dreamed of.
    yes opengl on the mac is crud, I think it does affect performance greatly , which was why I was asking Tony about metal.

The real solution is of course to install bootcamp and play trainz on windows on the mac , reports are performance of games with the iMac and a RX 580 are about equivalent to the windows experience ( but of course no one has done so using Trainz . we are such a niche item ...) , I keep on meaning to do this as I could use the Gtx 970 I have on my Mac pro as it works perfectly well on everything APART from trainz, but of course I'd have to buy a copy of windows 10 , I'd rather spend that loot on an RX 580 and run it under osx even if its not as good as on windows due to the open gl hit just for convenience as i have all my other software such as photoshop is mac based.

. Of course the other question is, it absolutely necessary to run everything at the top settings ? . So far my 10 year old mac is allowing me to create a highly detailed 80 mile route and apart from the glitches for the last update ( which occurred on both pc and mac) i've had less problems running TANE on my mac than i have on windows. the ROG 750 laptop I have hasn't had a good run with TANE and the previous desktop PC was useless, it had good specs but I could never get it to work well.

Whatever NV3 has done in the last update made it much more efficient for macs ,lets hope 2019 will improve on that.
    Last edited by dangavel; June 13th, 2018 at 02:22 AM.