New Desktop - Trainz 12

dbgallant77

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I had to buy a new desktop (original motherboard is bad), and the new PC has a 256GB SSD drive C, and a 1TB drive D. I installed my old 1TB drive C: into the new computer, and it is now designated as drive G.

When I launch Trainz 12 by selecting G:\Program Files (x86)\N3V Games\TS12, it starts up in full screen mode, but acts very strange (selecting routes and sessions is erratic) and then seems to hang up.

When I launch Trainz 12 by selecting G:\Program Files (x86)\N3V Games\TS12\bin, it opens in a Window mode, and everything seems to work. How can I get this to full screen mode?

Also, I'm thinking of getting TANE, but will I be able to access my route created in TS12?

Thanks,

dbgallant77 - Suggest that you create new containing folders for your TS12 installation - Get it out of the old Program Files (x86) directory!
Something like G:\TS12 for the program files and folders - and then nested inside the G:\TS12 directory, create another folder called 'Userdata' for your local data user files and folders. (Thus G:\TS12\Userdata).
This will greatly simplify your path structures and also resolve a few of the issues you are currently experiencing.
All you need to do is COPY the existing files and folders to their new counterparts on your G: drive.

Set a new startup icon on your taskbar pointing to the trainz.exe executable (with administrative access) and set the location of your local data files in the setup dialog to point to G:\TS12\Userdata.
(OR: Consider shifting them to similarly named folders on either C: or D: IF you don't have a helluva lot of local file and DLS content).

You don't have to suffer the indignity of having your Trainz installations in the Program folder (or Users directory) ever again!

This new storage method vastly simplifies your backup procedures as well.

If you have a 64bit OS on your computer and a DirectX 11 capable graphics card that meets or exceeds the minimum spec for T:ANE, then - absolutely Go for it!
T:ANE is orders of magnitude better than any earlier Trainz version.

It has matured beautifully over the past 3 years and is performing superbly these days, with Service Pack 3 about to be made available for public release.

Transferring your routes and sessions is easier today than it was for most of us two or three years ago, as most of the TS12 built-ins have been made available on the DLS and the majority of assets that caused issues earlier fixed or replaced by later, better-looking, and more robustly-performing ones.

Oh more things regarding TS12, make sure you install DirectX 9 which is required, otherwise, you'll end up running in Open/GL mode which is really slow and sometimes crashes. This is true even if you have DX11 or DX12 installed because these versions have only subsets of the older DX9.

Make sure you run TS12 as administrator. Right-click on the launcher icon, and choose properties. Go to the compatibility tab, and choose Run as Administrator. You'll get a warning box when you start up the program, but this will ensure that the software has permissions to run, otherwise, it will have issues.

Back