Latest nVidia WHQL Drivers - 398.11 now available for download and installation

PC_Ace

Hauling Heavy Pixels
Heads up for those not running the GeForce Experience software update tool.
There's a new driver available for your nVidia video card. (600, 700, 900, 10-series and Titans)
Recommend get it from the official nVidia support site only.

Version 398.11 (WHQL) appears to run TRS2019 beta and T:ANE Build 94217 very well...

I download them all of course, but really, what is the damned difference or improvement in any of them? I can never tell.

Here's a short summary of what changes these new drivers bring:

https://videocardz.com/driver/nvidia-geforce-game-ready-398-11-whql

BTW Dinorius - I'm really loving your fictional Hawaii route 'Kauai 2008 for T:ANE' in Build 94217, which I downloaded recently based on another Trainzer's rave reviews.
We can't wait to see what you'll be able to do with the PBR textures and TurfFX features in the upcoming TRS2019!

Here's a short summary of what changes these new drivers bring:

https://videocardz.com/driver/nvidia-geforce-game-ready-398-11-whql

BTW Dinorius - I'm really loving your fictional Hawaii route 'Kauai 2008 for T:ANE' in Build 94217, which I downloaded recently based on another Trainzer's rave reviews.
We can't wait to see what you'll be able to do with the PBR textures and TurfFX features in the upcoming TRS2019!

I guess I'll just continue with the updates in the hope that they do something positive even if none of the changes listed seem relevant to what I have on my system. Nvidia do seem to know what they're doing even if I don't.

Thanks for the kind feedback about the Kauai route. I got burned out doing it, so I no longer do layouts, preferring to make 3D content since about 2010. I confess I haven't put any time into learning PBR etc. I'll wait until the early-adopters iron out the bugs for N3V and the Wiki is full of well-written instructions on what to do. :eek:

I guess I'll just continue with the updates in the hope that they do something positive even if none of the changes listed seem relevant to what I have on my system. Nvidia do seem to know what they're doing even if I don't.

Ditto. I installed it but I didn't see anything useful for my old GTX780Ti.

... I confess I haven't put any time into learning PBR etc. I'll wait until the early-adopters iron out the bugs for N3V and the Wiki is full of well-written instructions on what to do. :eek:

Well, N3V have put some effort into providing some WiKi information but my belief is that it will take a while for CCs to get used to it. Some PBRMetal assets I've seen look fantastic but others looks a bit too glossy/shiny IMHO. It's a radical change and I think we need more CCs sharing thoughts on the best way to do it. It will take a while - perhaps a couple of years - while some of us wonder if we have a couple of years left in us.:eek:

-Out of curiosity, in the Nvidia control panel, adjust image setting with preview, do you guys choose 'let the 3d application decide' or use the 'use the advance 3d image settings', or the other option for that matter? Why is this version/release making T:ANE run better? Didn't ever realize this would make a huge difference in the way Trainz performs. I ask for the fact, when I first open T:ANE, I get great frame rates, but after some time, 15-30 mins +/-, my frame rates just drop off, even into the high teens, which is a slide show.

-Joe

For what it's worth, I always let the 3D applications decide. I don't know enough technically to do otherwise. However, I have nVidia's GeForce Experience installed and let it auto-optimise the settings for games that allow it. That amounts to just the mainsteam games like Far Cry, etc. I don't think GeForce has ever heard of Trainz, so it has no idea of what might be optimum for it.

Just a note from my experience. Anyone with an older machine who has trouble with the new driver installation freezing, when it asks which type of installation to use, choose "Custom Installation" and click the Overwrite box.

Back