Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: should there be a post about permissions by authors

United States of America, Arkansas, Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by dangavel View Post
    just remember, several of us are willing to pay to have the meshes transferred by a technician, i'll put up $500 and blue has offered to chip in too. that should cover the cost to transfer to a card or large USB .
    the only proviso i would want is that the meshes would have to be available for registered trainz members to use and not to be used in payware, if that was possible to achieve the offers still there.
    i suggest that people talk to their partners or family about their work and what to do if they are struck down suddenly , one could either store on the cloud( google drive gives up to 15gb free ) and provide a downloadable link to a fellow trainz forum member or just put a provision in ones will. .
    I just want to let you know that I am not ignoring your kind offer, but it looks like Ben's family already have their own plans on what they want to do with his equipment and it doesn't include any of us unfortunately, nor shows any concern for all his content meshes. I just wish Ben had put in his will what he and I agreed to a few years ago, but sadly he didn't. At least I was able to secure agreement on the disposition of his DLS assets.

Bob

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pcas1986 View Post
    ... I suggest we need a central repository of asset source files. The only person/organisation that can reasonably host this is N3V. This would be in their interest as well.
    I think that is probably the best solution so far. Just as with the current DLS, where uploading an asset transfers "right of use" to N3V without the creator losing their copyright, a source code/mesh/etc repository could serve as a "seed bank" for allowing assets to be updated to meet future Trainz asset standards, at the very least. This of course would have to be purely voluntary and there would be some creators who would not want any part of it - just as there are those who refuse to upload anything to the DLS.

The ability to "update to current standards" is already one of the conditions imposed by the DLS and the reason why the CRG can do the excellent work they are doing. But as Paul pointed out, without the original meshes, this becomes an impossible job with some DLS assets.

The more difficult task, legally, would be allowing other developers to take over an original asset and make improvements or changes that were not intended by the original creator. In contrast to posts in this thread, the placement of a clear and verifiable statement of intent by the creator in a will (or a user profile) is no guarantee of the legal right of others to that creators works. I have personal experience of this in the successful legal challenge of my Father's last wishes by another family member. I know we are not talking about items of any real financial value here, but I know for a fact that some family members can get very strange or unrealistic ideas when it comes to disposing of the assets of a loved one.

This is a worthwhile idea but it would require legal advice.
    A member of the "Party Machine". Now if only I could remember where they are holding the party!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pware View Post
    ...for allowing assets to be updated to meet future Trainz asset standards, at the very least. ...
    The CRG can, and does, add meshes but we are not permitted to make improvements. For example, several hundred old boxcars got an extra very low poly mesh, basically an oblong box, and subsequently become LOD compliant. Some might argue that this was an improvement but we didn't see it that way. Many of those boxcars had non functional bogies and very poor textures but those were not changed since it was deemed to be changing the author's intent. It can be a grey area but we discuss this within the CRG forum.

Quote Originally Posted by pware View Post
    The more difficult task, legally, would be allowing other developers to take over an original asset and make improvements or changes that were not intended by the original creator. ...
    As above, the CRG cannot do this within the current rules and I doubt we would want to do it. I think a better solution would to make a completely new asset that acknowledges the design and effort of the original author. Note that this could not obsolete the original asset since Trainz will not allow that.

Paul

United States of America, ill, Rock Island

Quote Originally Posted by clam1952 View Post
    The license tab got removed in TANE, just to make things less obvious.
    As I do not have TANE I did not know that, wonder why they removed that?

I am glad that people are thinking about this, and the pro's and con's of it all.
    Modeling Ho scale on the cheap

GT 440 2 meg

I am waiting on about 5 reskins questions from different people, that it looks if are no longer active in the game. Noething in the files say if it is okay to reskin or not, sadly. So on to next project I guess.

GT 440 2 meg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fourteen View Post
    I am waiting on about 5 reskins questions from different people, that it looks if are no longer active in the game. Noething in the files say if it is okay to reskin or not, sadly. So on to next project I guess.
    I've never been a reskinner although I played with PaintShed (TS4?) some years ago. Frankly, I don't know how people manage to reskin with the complex textures in use for later versions of Trainz. The TRS19 PBR materials and textures will probably kill off reskinning completely.

You might consider taking up asset creation and making your own models. It can be fun and rather addictive. In general, you don't need to ask anyone's permission to do that except for those models where copyright is likely to be an issue. Thomas the Tank Engine for example.

Paul

Like we already told you: it dosen't mean there's nothing on the config.txt that you can upload and if there's no response then move on and keep it for yourself

FUYEZ, pauvres fous !

Like I said on to next project.

Wish I had time to take up making my own models, not enough time in day as it is.

GT 440 2 meg

not enough time in day as it is.
    Agreed 120% Well side!

"Please excuse my being a bit off topic here not to derail the post"

For me to CCs here my thots with my models I can only speak for my self here so here I go.
    Well we are on the topic of needing permission (forgive me if I'm a bit offline) Anyone can edit, share, reskin and release anything I made past or present including models under my former account "Dragonharh" I understand there's some confusion about the same models under to usernames but they are all mine ( everything I made as Dragonharh or VIA6415 ).

Ok, back on topic Sorry I had to add my pice in.
    I think having this post pinned is a wise idea for users unsure what to do.

Yeah ... You can do whatever you wish with my Paintshed TGV's too

Trainz is becoming a haven for CCC (ContentCreationCopyists), plagiarizing OPS (OtherPeoplesStuff) assets

pla·gia·rize
    ˈplājəˌrīz/
    verb
    [COLOR=#878787 !important]gerund or present participle: plagiarizing[/COLOR]

• take (the work or an idea of someone else) and pass it off as one's own.
      synonyms: copy, infringe the copyright of, pirate, steal, poach, appropriate; More

• copy from (someone) and pass it off as one's own.

Last edited by cascaderailroad; June 13th, 2018 at 04:42 PM.

United States of America, Arkansas, Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by cascaderailroad View Post
    Yeah ... You can do whatever you wish with my Paintshed TGV's too. Trainz is becoming a haven for CCC (ContentCreationCopyists), plagiarizing OPS (OtherPeoplesStuff) assets.
    Anything available for download online will be modified, extended, changed or whatever. It is just a fact of Internet life these days. We can fight a losing battle here on this issue or finds ways to manage it. A few years back Creative Commons came out with workable licenses for dealing with this issue. See my post at the following forum link for an example of how I used the Creative Commons License for all of my stuff:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...nz-DLS-content

Bob