Ditch Lights

JohnnyC1

Pioneer Valley RR
Title says it all. For the last year I have been trying to install ditch lights on various locomotives without success (failure 100%) I know how to use Pev's Attachment Maker. What stumps me is the other meshes, textures & coronas that used to allow the lights to become visible on the locomotive. I"ve used Dave Snows ditch meshes and JR's loco ditch lights. I got nothing, not even an error! Can someone give me a heads up or maybe a Ditch Light 101! Thanks community.

John

Title says it all. For the last year I have been trying to install ditch lights on various locomotives without success (failure 100%) I know how to use Pev's Attachment Maker. What stumps me is the other meshes, textures & coronas that used to allow the lights to become visible on the locomotive. I"ve used Dave Snows ditch meshes and JR's loco ditch lights. I got nothing, not even an error! Can someone give me a heads up or maybe a Ditch Light 101! Thanks community.

John

You don't need those textures and coronas John. Just the proper name for the ditchlight attachment points, a.ditch0 and a.ditch1-- you don't even need any notations in the config file.----- it all becomes automatic when you run a locomotive.

You don't need those textures and coronas John. Just the proper name for the ditchlight attachment points, a.ditch0 and a.ditch1-- you don't even need any notations in the config file.----- it all becomes automatic when you run a locomotive.

I've done that, however, nothing shows up. I used your Ditch lights entirely, the whole package, still nothing!

Thanks, John

look at my reskinned CSX GP30 road slug for an example of attaching ditch lights http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=22604929249775193030 it has working ditchlights that i attached myself take a look inside the attachment mesh and you will see there are separate attachment points for the light parts and the actual lights themselves

Thanks, I am making some progress, I got Dave's to show up. I will be fiddling with your mesh latter this evening.

John

Ok, I got it figured out, now, how do I light them? JR's S4 Slug with forward and rear ditch lights.

Added-Ditch-Lights-to-JR%27s-Slug.jpg

Would someone be able to show me what the config file should look like if im adding ditchlights. I am completely stuck.

In the mesh table add:

skr
{
mesh "skr.lm"
auto-create 1
}

for the mesh if you have one, "skr" would be the mesh name.

The first operation is to create the attachment mech for the lights, this will have the attachment positions for the lights. In this setup I am using Dave Snows ditch lights, on the DLS.

attachment
{
mesh "mesh_body\attach_mesh.im"
att-parent "default"
auto-create 1
}

ditch_rear_l
{
mesh "ditch_light\ditchlight_top_des.im"
att-parent "attachment"
att "a.ditch3"
auto-create 1
orientation 0,0,3.1
}

ditch_rear_r
{
att-parent "attachment"
att "a.ditch2"
auto-create 1
orientation 0,0,3.1
}

ditch_fwd_l
{
att-parent "attachment"
att "a.ditch0"
auto-create 1
}

ditch_fwd_r
{
att-parent "attachment"
att "a.ditch1"
auto-create 1
}
}

John

So i made the attachments in PEV. That part doesn't seem to hard (that is if im doing it right). I create the attach_mesh and it shows up in the file. I then make the following the config:
mesh-table
{
{
mesh "sd35csx_body/sd35csx.lm"
auto-create 1
animation-loop-speed 1
}
attachment {
mesh "attach_mesh.im"
auto-create 1
}

If this is right so far, what would my next step be? I am sorry for the questions but I feel like im close, but I just can't figure it out. I tried to copy and paste what JohnnyC1 made, but when i hit submit edits it get a bunch of errors saying the child texture wasn't working?

So i made the attachments in PEV. That part doesn't seem to hard (that is if im doing it right). I create the attach_mesh and it shows up in the file. I then make the following the config:
mesh-table
{
{
mesh "sd35csx_body/sd35csx.lm"
auto-create 1
animation-loop-speed 1
}
attachment {
mesh "attach_mesh.im"
auto-create 1
}

If this is right so far, what would my next step be? I am sorry for the questions but I feel like im close, but I just can't figure it out. I tried to copy and paste what JohnnyC1 made, but when i hit submit edits it get a bunch of errors saying the child texture wasn't working?

You need to set the attachment points (the locations of the ditch light) to the attachment mesh you just created. Load the default mesh (the loco), next the attachment mesh you created, with trial and error, position the cursor to the location, front/rear, of the ditch lights.

John

Back