Switches (How to make)

Alikiwi

Apprentice Creator
Or, as I'd call them, points. I have researched the manual for A New Era, and it has next to nothing to say in Surveyor, on how to create switches, except for this brief entry.
"Click on the Split Spline tool and click on a middle spline point (whitecircle) in the track. The track breaks in two at that point"

All that does is break the track. I've read a few posts, almost none mention this issue and the only suggestion has been to add an extra spline point. For me, this does absolutely nothing. What I get are straight sections, and no curves. I realise I may be missing something simple, but I'm new to this game. So please enlighten me. Oddly, I see no way to upload a screenshot. Yes there is a switch lever present, but the switches are dead straight lines. What am I missing?

If you are trying to make a junction all you do is lay a section of track from a spline point, on the main line, for about 3 squares and place this next to the main line. Place another piece from that point onwards and use the straighten tool on it and also on the track just before the junction. The switch lever should appear automatically when you add track to a middle spline point.

Or, as I'd call them, points. I have researched the manual for A New Era, and it has next to nothing to say in Surveyor, on how to create switches, except for this brief entry.
"Click on the Split Spline tool and click on a middle spline point (whitecircle) in the track. The track breaks in two at that point"

All that does is break the track. I've read a few posts, almost none mention this issue and the only suggestion has been to add an extra spline point. For me, this does absolutely nothing. What I get are straight sections, and no curves. I realise I may be missing something simple, but I'm new to this game. So please enlighten me. Oddly, I see no way to upload a screenshot. Yes there is a switch lever present, but the switches are dead straight lines. What am I missing?

It may be a wise move to get some information on how to lay tracks. A Google search brought up this video,... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-ehYeLeCOs

Also, N3V provides excellent tutorials on various matters. https://www.twitch.tv/trainz_simulator 34 videos so far.

"Knowledge is Power"

Cheers,
Roy

Thanks, I shall study these. I certainly don't have trouble making them, just they lack any curves, despite following some similar suggestions to the above. I'm also downloading one of the videos for a reference.

As a side note, it appears I wasn't doing anything wrong. The problem was the track I selected from a choice of only 2 for NSW (New South Wales). The NSW YL track doesn't curve properly, and once I selected another one, the problem was solved.

As a side note, it appears I wasn't doing anything wrong. The problem was the track I selected from a choice of only 2 for NSW (New South Wales). The NSW YL track doesn't curve properly, and once I selected another one, the problem was solved.

If you are looking for a range of NSW Track, just put NSW Track in the search field on the Download Station and there are heaps to choose from.

If you've got TANE then try some of elstoko's range. Here's just a couple that when placed have animated switches (points).

<kuid2:368725:55007:1> Protrack NSWGR clean stone ballast to ground transition
<kuid:368725:49031> Protrack NSWGR ashes, mid-life timber, directly spiked
<kuid:368725:49038> Protrack NSWGR dirty stone, mid-life timber, directly spiked

Always check the 'Australian Screenshots' thread on the Forum, because this is where we show off our work to one another.

Cheers,
Roy

Back