How well would this set up run the latest version of Tane?

joshmeister

Proud Railfurz Member
This is a custom built machine I built in late 2016, Runs 12 extremely well on highest settings and doesn't bog down much on routes that are heavily forested. My only concern is with the graphics in Tane look really intense and I'm not sure my machine could handle it like it can with 12. Also I don't think upgrading my graphics card is an option right now being in between jobs and the one I currently have just cost me 400 bucks.

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 6600K @ 3.50GHz
Skylake 14nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1066MHz (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z170XP-SLI-CF (U3E1)
Graphics
LCD TV (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (MSI)

If I need to I can post a full parts list for my machine.

The GTX 1060 is the important bit and you should get better frame rates with TANE than TS12 same assets, same viewing distances.

Cheerio John

The GTX 1060 is the important bit and you should get better frame rates with TANE than TS12 same assets, same viewing distances.

Cheerio John

In 12, I can (Usually) get on a heavily forested (M:TREEZ) type route an average of about 50-72 FPS depending on how deep the tree line is and how long my trains are. I'm also running 12 at the highest settings it'll go too. So, I can pretty much expect that or maybe better in Tane?

Cheers, Josh.

I have a very similar setup in my main PC, it works TANE very well, but I could improve it by getting a 270 DDR4 board instead of my 170 DDR3.

I actually do my route creations using an i3 with a 750gti which copes well until I overload a layout with too many details.
Then I try and shift to my 1070 rig (which my son uses for shoot-em-up gaming).
My son wil be leaving soon and I will get my 1070 back permanently, although I haven't told him he's leaving yet. :hehe:

My son wil be leaving soon and I will get my 1070 back permanently, although I haven't told him he's leaving yet. :hehe:

I laughed a bit much at that, Thanks, I really needed that :) So, It seems to me that my "beast" as I call my machine, will run Tane with no issue. I mean, if I can play something like DOOM on the extreme highest settings and other graphic intense games like that with out bogging my GPU down, it sounds like it'll run Tane with pretty much no issue.

Trees in TANE are speedtree 6 rather than 5 so you'll need to think about replacing them. I think someone mentioned keeping the number of different types down to five otherwise they kill performance. I run a GTX 980 which is roughly a GTX1060 and I was quite surprised that one route I had that stuttered in TS12 ran smoothly in TANE.

Cheerio John

Turnung off uneeded programs

Couple of things to add to performance,

;) One of the things I do whenever possible, I goto to Airplane Mode, Shut off all my Cloud Server links, that usually load with Windows, and my ESET virus program allows a Gamer Mode pause for performance..........It still protects my Files, but gives me better performance.

I use CCleaner which runs in the background, and monitors disk fragmentation, so I shut it off, as it is not critical.

Lastly check your Game Mode under Win10.......

https://www.google.com/search?q=game+mode+windows+10&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

You'll find I think, and this is only my opinion, but the less items running on Win !0 or any Windows version, will give you needed performance for Games, by turning everything off that you can do without, why you ask, well Windows does a lot of under the hood things, that may not be apparent......

So like us, the better you can focus Windows to run a intense Game, Simulator etc, the better performance you'll get......Multi Tasking is great, except that certain programs TANE, want all the attention (system resources) they can have unfettered by the actions of other programs.......

I have Carbonite, remote File backup and I can tell depending on how many files are in Que, my TANE can slow to a Crawl sometimes, I always know, especially on Surveyor mode, that I forgot to shutdown this RAM intensive program.

:wave: I hope this is of some value to you, best of luck with your Project.

@Blue, yeah, that does make a lot of sense, I'll have to keep some of that in mind and maybe take a look at what processes are running on my machine.

@John, I'm sure this doesn't make much difference but these are the kind of trees I usually use when working on a route, they are pretty intense trees but I like them.

Either way I will be giving Tane a try as soon as I order it likely tomorrow and will see how my desktop handles it.

Cheers.

f7pIDLk.jpg
[/IMG]

Trees in TANE are speedtree 6 rather than 5 so you'll need to think about replacing them. I think someone mentioned keeping the number of different types down to five otherwise they kill performance. I run a GTX 980 which is roughly a GTX1060 and I was quite surprised that one route I had that stuttered in TS12 ran smoothly in TANE.

Cheerio John

Got a hell of a lot more than 5 types of Speedtree on my WIP here, no affect on frame rates..... GTX980TI / i7 6700K ;o) slightly less FPS on same route, different PC with a 6GB GTX1060 / Ryzen 5 1600, if you don't look at the frame rates you can't see any difference in performance or smoothness.

The 5 types was a TS12 issue.

That 1060 will be fine.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Clam. Next time I go to walmart I'll for sure put money on my card and get Tane (SP2) and give it a try :D

Back