Tight rail yards + Signaling.

malaru

I was working on a railyard w/ particularly close tracks- and I wanted to add signals to both ends of the tracks- more for the AI then for accurate rebuild of the yard; but the yard is very tight- and if I was to put a dwarf next to the tracks they practically sit in the middle of the track next door.

Is there a particular dwarf available for download that is tight up against the track or any real fix for this other then spacing the rails further apart? (which would balloon the size of the yard)

Most tracks are @ 4m spacing, with rail spline points just about touching the outer end of the adjacent track RR tie end

Not all tracks are signaled on the prototype, as wiring is expensive ... So use allot of "BNSF Invisible Signal" and "Signal Thingy"

You can edit the config file "trackside numeral" and make the signal sit closer

Last edited:
At some point it may be easier to add a gantry and hang the signals. If you play with the offset distance of the signal, you can get it to be right next to the rails. But cars and locos will "crash" against it ( no harm done on this, but it does not look right). If you do this, locate the dwarf on the outside of the curve, so cars will not run over so much.

You're probably doing this, but in yards it helps to reduce the signal radius as well as the junction radius. Speeds are low so 5 meters is sufficient.

:B~)

i didnt even know junction radius was a thing- ... i was just being 'strategic' on sides/placement - the real pain in the ass is when i get a signal relatively close to a switch and try to move or adjust signal and it always defaults to me clicking the switch-- stthhhaaaapppp it!!

You're probably doing this, but in yards it helps to reduce the signal radius as well as the junction radius. Speeds are low so 5 meters is sufficient.

:B~)
Please explain how to adjust signal radius. I know how to adjust junction radius.
Thanks
helian43

You could use the signal offset item for it's intended purpose. It will allow controlling all the yard tracks with one remote signal. Something like the image below puts signal Y controlling all tracks in the yard.

1322.jpg

+1 to ns37 and the signal offset. And for anyone wondering how they won't have 5 trains all trying to approach signal Y at the same time, it still requires the turnouts to be aligned to "see" Y. If the offset can't see a path to Y it will "show" red. Best part, you don't have to link it to a specific signal, it just looks for the next signal down the line.

thank you- this is something i have yet to try to use.

You could use the signal offset item for it's intended purpose. It will allow controlling all the yard tracks with one remote signal. Something like the image below puts signal Y controlling all tracks in the yard.

1322.jpg

Back