Screenshots : What I'm doing wrong?

evilcrow

Following installation of replacement Graphics Card (N vidia 1060)

When I post a screenshot from Trainz Portal I get this:

http://images.n3vgames.com/trainzpo...ots/70875/1000/My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

BUT NOT THE IMAGE.

In this thread I get the image?

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

instead of an image, as would previously happen when using the inset image icon.

What I'm I doing wrong?

Seems to be working in a new thread but not in "UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning".

Many thanks in advance.

A senile evilcrow.

Last edited:
Following installation of replacement Graphics Card (N vidia 1060)

You lucky lucky Trainzer! I am jealous. I will have to "bite the bullet" and upgrade if I hope to run Trainz 2019 at anywhere near its potential.

When I post a screenshot from Trainz Portal I get this:

http://images.n3vgames.com/trainzpo...ots/70875/1000/My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

BUT NOT THE IMAGE.

From my examination of your post it seems that you have posted the link and not the image. I suspect that you may have clicked the wrong button on the tool bar - it happens to me sometimes as well.

Senility is contagious. You get it from your kids.

Thank you for the reply and advice, Pware.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

As per the NV GTX 1060, it seems jerky, must play with all the NVIDA settings. The previous card NV GTX 970 was OK until it failed!
So be careful what you buy.

Cheers, evilcrow

Hey evilcrow, I have the 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (MSI) card and I will agree, trainz can be "jerky" with this card. I don't think this card works will with "DirectX". In the fact that Trainz will "Hang up" for a number of seconds unless I alt tab out and them back in, but when using the OpenGL graphics setting (Not as good at DirextX) the game doesn't lag, but frame rates DO suffer.

joshmeister - Unfortunately, OpenGL is no longer an option for T:ANE (which evilcrow also has) so DirectX 11 is the primary renderer there.
Overuse of grass splines and high-poly assets can bring any video card to their knees.
Accordingly, you need to make judicious trade-offs between certain performance settings in both T:ANE and TS12 if you have a GTX-1060 or less.
In T:ANE, the shadow quality and draw distance settings have the biggest performance impacts, so start with optimising those...
evilcrow - Really cool, atmospheric screenshot!

Last edited:
Richarde57 - Not necessarily - You'll need to upgrade at some stage and the GTX1060 is a step ahead, but not by much as you might expect.
Indeed, the natural replacement for the GTX970 is the GTX1070 (and now 1070Ti).
Here are some quick indicative benchmark comparisons for you:
970 vs 1060: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufnJ4tMA8KE
970 vs 1070: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJBVRKlSMCs

(Better to buy the Ti version for just a few bucks more than the base 1070).
These days, many of us consider the 1060 to be at the low-end of acceptable performance for T:ANE, especially if you want to turn up the quality & performance settings.

Thank you gentleman for all the good advice.

It pays to post problems, I wish I had done that sooner.

Message to self: Start saving up for a GTX 1070 Ti and wait till the wife goes out!

Cheers, evilcrow

Don't waste your money, especially not for the sake of Trainz, listen to the wife! GTX 1060 is quite adequate for T:ANE!

Rob.

Edit: It really is a joke when one is under the dillusion that high end hardware is required to run a, to put it quite frankly, abysmal piece of software that is T:ANE !

Last edited:
Trust me, I'm plenty happy with getting 135 FPS on max settings for Trainz/ any other game I play, It's just that ever since I got this card, 12 will "lag" every so often, more so when route editing, bit all I have to do is alt-tab out and then come back in and its fine.

Richarde57 - Not necessarily - You'll need to upgrade at some stage and the GTX1060 is a step ahead, but not by much as you might expect.
Indeed, the natural replacement for the GTX970 is the GTX1070 (and now 1070Ti).
Here are some quick indicative benchmark comparisons for you:
970 vs 1060: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufnJ4tMA8KE
970 vs 1070: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJBVRKlSMCs

(Better to buy the Ti version for just a few bucks more than the base 1070).
These days, many of us consider the 1060 to be at the low-end of acceptable performance for T:ANE, especially if you want to turn up the quality & performance settings.

I thought I have a look for a 1050 but that's not a good idea at all...
I thought, the higher the number, the better the card.
That's a wrong thought.

970 vs 1050: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0vBoXA4Tls

Oops

:eek:

Last edited:
I thought, the higher the number, the better the card.
In another sense though, it is.
Focus on the last two digits of the GPU name to determine the performance class...
The nVidia convention is to launch gaming GPU video cards in family flights like: 50s series (GTX 1050, 1050Ti), 60s series (GTX 1060 6Gb, GTX 1060 3Gb, etc.), 70s, 80s (and occasionally a dual GPU 90! or very low end 1030) plus Titans.
In the current Pascal series of GPUs, there is an ascending level of performance (and CUDA cores, ROPs, memory bandwidth etc.) with each new family tier. 70 series cards are generally slower than 80 series ones.
Between generations, there is usually a lift in performance at each tier, but not enough to cover the gulf between the extremes. For example, a GTX980 remains way faster than a newer GTX1050, or indeed the GTX1060, for example.
The next generation of nVidia cards is probably going to be launched in July and it isn't yet officially announced whether they'll be designated '20-series' or '11-series' GPUs (i.e. 2080Ti vs 1180Ti).
Whatever they might be called, the performance step-ups per tier is typically engineered to be around an 25-30% increase over their predecessor.
In which case, I'd not be in a hurry to replace my video card right now until I can see the independently reviewed successor candidates and a good dose of comparative benchmarks!

In any event, none of this prevents someone with current or previous generation cards from producing excellent screenshots in T:ANE, such as those posted by evilcrow above.
Though, as a matter of thumb, you can roughly expect each new generation of cards from both AMD and nVidia to out-perform their same-series predecessors in terms of frame-rates and pixel-processing-prowess - to an extent that smoothness (or lack of jerkiness/ stuttering) during gameplay is increasingly more reliable.

The other thing that matters when it comes to graphics cards and often overlooked when buying, is screen resolution. A 1060 (mine is an Asus ROG Strix 6gb OC 108%) is built for 1080p, a 1070 for 1440p and a 1080 is built for 4k. On the new beta at 4500m draw, manual post processing, water ultra, trees high, shadows medium 4096, i get 20 - 70 fps on large, highly detailed routes on average, Hardly any skips and it handles multiple trains well. Matching screen res to the card is also important, as I now get better frame rates at 1080p than I did at 1366x768 and all I did was buy a new monitor. Benchmarked about 4% better.
cheers
Graeme

Back