DLC Asset Uninstall.

Ihaveakramp

Hello! I was wondering how to un-install DLC assets. I have been trying to clear some space off of my laptop and my official DLC copy of Murchison 2 is taking up a few gigabytes of space which I simply no-longer want occupied.

I have the same question. My TANE is registered, so what next? What is a neat way to uninstall session assets recursively without causing missing asset errors in other sessions?

Get a "Bigger" PC ... Then you need not worry about all those assets ...

Or you can try to delete lots of things ... which will break all kinds of other things ... and in the end run, you will not notice any improvement in disc space, nor performance, anyway :hehe:

If it ain't broke ... Don't try to fix it

Last edited:
No, that's wrong. I've cleared 30GB, which has put space back on my C: drive so my swap and tmp files don't get crowded out. Space, and performance.

For the original poster: look in
C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\N3V Games\TANE\build vqlfo3711
for a Backups directory.

I deleted these, (I don't need them) and cleared 30GB of space.
Nearby there is a cache folder, and I cleared the internet cache too.

As for the content - I used the content manager to find the dependencies of sessions I don't need, then deleted the ones marked "Installed from DLS". I can redownload them if the sessions and routes I want to keep show missing dependencies.

TANE seems happy, and my remaining sessions work fine. I'm guessing there's a DB somewhere that needs compacting, but I'm satisfied with what I've done so far. If the programmers are any good, they will have code that regularly cleans up the DB.

Now I just have to get a refund on the new PC I bought. What a useless suggestion.

No, that's wrong. I've cleared 30GB, which has put space back on my C: drive so my swap and tmp files don't get crowded out. Space, and performance.

For the original poster: look in
C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\N3V Games\TANE\build vqlfo3711
for a Backups directory.

I deleted these, (I don't need them) and cleared 30GB of space.
Nearby there is a cache folder, and I cleared the internet cache too.

As for the content - I used the content manager to find the dependencies of sessions I don't need, then deleted the ones marked "Installed from DLS". I can redownload them if the sessions and routes I want to keep show missing dependencies.

TANE seems happy, and my remaining sessions work fine. I'm guessing there's a DB somewhere that needs compacting, but I'm satisfied with what I've done so far. If the programmers are any good, they will have code that regularly cleans up the DB.

Now I just have to get a refund on the new PC I bought. What a useless suggestion.

I agree knowing what is a dependency or not is awkward. I've gone through the trouble of viewing content, and viewing dependencies recursively, but that's clumsy and really time consuming. It would be nice if there was a Dependency column we could sort on.

Your biggest culprit is your backups folder. Every time you edit or modify content, routes, etc., Trainz/T:ANE will make a backup of the content first should you mess something up you can then revert back to the original. This is why it take a moment to open the content for editing.

You can go into the backups folder and delete the older days, which are folders in YY-MM-DD format. FYI I cleared over 200 GB the other day!

Once you've reduced the number manually, remember to empty your recycle bin too, you can then set things up in the Launcher so the the program doesn't create more backups than you need.

At the Launcher:

Click on Trainz settings.
Click on Dev tab.
Set the number of backups to less than the default of 7 days.

I recommend keeping at least 1 day's worth in case you need to restore something from a previous session. Having this cushion here has saved me at least once or twice in the past and in that time I would have been totally SOL with my route edit.

Regarding disk space in general. T:ANE data can always be moved very easily to another drive should you decide to add in a larger disk. The program does run okay with data on an external drive, but I wouldn't do that for regular operation.

As always when manipulating data, I recommend performing a backup operation prior to ensure there's a safety net in place should something go awry.

Interesting point about deleting older assets, like Beta layouts and sessions that are made redundant and updated.

I actually deleted half of the obsoleted assets in the Content Manager, stuff that is updated from the download station that helps to reduce the size of the asset tdx file.

I also found that by using the extended data base repair function in Content Manager completes the maintenance of the asset database system.

Also check the number of the screenshots in the Trainz Userdata/screenshots folder because using the print scrn key too many times in a session takes up drive space.
Delete any unnecessary screenshots.

In the Trainz setup I found that by setting the maximum number of backup folders to the value of 3 is good enough, and after the third day of usage the first folder automatically erases the data when using content manager.

You an delete the route(s) you no longer require but AFAIK it will leave all the assets installed.

Only way is a complete uninstall, delete your local content then reinstall and start from scratch.

This is what I done to completely uninstall DLC items without having to start from scratch.

First thing is to find out where TANE is storing your content, which can be found from the Trainz settings, and then go to the packages folder

2nd is to check the DLC listing, which can be found here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1287804425

3rd select the folders and simply delete them, then run a database update so the assets that are deleted won't cause any crashes or anything.

That's all to it at uninstalling DLC from TANE

Back