How to use USA searchlight signals, flashing yellows etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davie_UCF

Here since 2001, Trainz!!
Hey guys,

I'm bombarding the place at the moment eh?

So i'm using the search light signals from Mojave Sub in my route.
A few questions..

1. When you have two aspects directly on top of each other, which one is for the diverging route?
  2. I managed to get a flashing yellow aspect on one and not sure why, or what this means... In the UK on my routes, a flashing yellow means you have a diverging junction ahead.
  3. Would you have a separate searchlight aspect for each diverging route? What about spurs? (In UK we have position lights for permissive moves in addition to the main aspect, so wondering if US has something similar)

cheers :)

Last edited:
I used to have a whole pdf of all of the signals and how to make them work but I think that was for 2004. It still should be floating around on someone's HD.

Davie,

JR's searchlight signals are as follows:

Type 01/type 04: Absolute. Used to protect double to single track and when a branch line enters a mainline. The signal in the latter case is placed on the branch. The signal is also used for sidings and comes in various heights including dwarfs which are used in yard areas.

Type 05: Permissive/advance signals. These have a small sign/number plate below the head and are given a number. Trains can pass these signals at track speed, or at other slower speeds as indicated by their aspect.

Type 06: Diverging signal. These are used when going from single to double track and are placed on the single track side. They are also used sometimes for wyes. They indicate which line is active and at what speed to take on the diverging line.

Type 08 (there's no Type 07 at this time): Interlocking signals. These are similar to the Type 06s and have 3-heads. They indicate slower speeds and are used mostly for crossovers and for wyes/junctions.

The color aspects:

Green = Clear - drive a track speed.

Flashing green is limited speed versus the full speed.

Flashing yellow is proceed at track speed, but prepare for an upcoming yellow in two blocks.

Yellow = Proceed at 1/2 track speed and prepare to stop at the next block.

Three headed signals indicate three different route speeds. Top signal is for full speed. middle for medium, and bottom for slowest.

A 2-headed signal with a red over yellow indicates to the driver that the upcoming diverging line is to be taken at 1/2 speed and the train will be going right and will be stopping in the next block. Approach medium is the actual name of the aspect.

This link here is very useful.

http://www.mikeroque.com/railroad-signals/

John, sorry this might be a dumb question, but are JR's searchlight signals built in or do I need to get them from the download station?
If so, what do I search on? (been away, now I feel like a noob)

I've been gathering my thoughts and relearning again. I remember we had signals (I used the USA's that were numbered like this)

Last edited:
John, sorry this might be a dumb question, but are JR's searchlight signals built in or do I need to get them from the download station?
If so, what do I search on? (been away, now I feel like a noob)

I've been gathering my thoughts and relearning again. I remember we had signals (I used the USA's that were numbered like this)

Not all are built-in in T:ANE. You can download them from Joint Rail's website under their Freeware items. www.jointedrail.com Be sure to download the latest signal library as well if it's not included in the package.

There are some signals that come with the their Mojave Sub. They're quite useful and are all searchlights and begin with JR MS.

The old USA series are similarly named where I think Jointed Rail got them from. The built-ins though have huge targets (the part the light comes out), which are not US and are actually Australian. Yes I saw some of these signals on a YouTube video taken of some commuter operations on the Victorian Railways. The same signals as the US-series with those gigantic black targets. It was wow so that's where they come from! It makes sense though because Australian railways use some US&S signals on their lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back