can i save rolling stock and engines in a cdp file?

hello to all:

I have a lot of rolling sock and engines in tane. is there a way to save them in a cdp file and then save it to a flash drive or external hard drive?

Yes you can and it's recommended anyway to back up stuff including your complete data files.

The only thing you don't need to backup is built-in or DLC content because that will get loaded automatically if you ever reinstall, and can be forced to reinstall at any time should there be a problem.

You need to use Content Manager to do this.

- Create a custom filter for installed+Category rolling stock, and Built-in false and payware false.

- Highlight all the assets or choose a bunch if have have a lot, right click and choose export to CDP.

You may need to do this in parts if you have a lot of content due to there being a limit to the size of the CDP files. I recommend keeping them under 1GB anyway just to be safe.

- Once you get the actual models, select all, right click and choose view dependencies recursively.

A second window will open up, which will list the dependent parts such as bogies, couplers, sound files etc.

Backup this as well.

As far as external devices go, I recommend an actual hard disk rather than a flash drive. Flash drives don't have the longevity of a hard disk, and are much, much slower writing to.

hello jcitron and peter?

yes there is a theory behind my thinking: if I ever need to get a new computer I would like to be able to reload tane and all the rolling stock and engines that I have now. and second with the new trs2019 coming out I want to keep this train package and still download for this game/ simulator. oh tane has a content manager? I have not seen it yet.

switchmen37

hello jcitron and peter?

yes there is a theory behind my thinking: if I ever need to get a new computer I would like to be able to reload tane and all the rolling stock and engines that I have now. and second with the new trs2019 coming out I want to keep this train package and still download for this game/ simulator. oh tane has a content manager? I have not seen it yet.

switchmen37

That's good thinking even if the new version were never to come out. Backups are something that are totally underestimated until disaster occurs, and there are no backups to restore the data from.

I also recommend doing periodic, if not often full backups of your T:ANE data folder.

Using your new external backup drive as a destination, go into Explorer and copy and paste your T:ANE data folder on the new drive. The backup can take a very long time, depending upon how much data you have. I let mine run overnight for a full backup with my nearly 1TB of local data. (This is 14 year's of collecting plus new DLC).

An yes, T:ANE does have a full content manager with lots of filtering capabilities well beyond what TS12 and below were capable of as well as the ability to display multiple windows too. Quite nifty once you get used to the interface.

Back