How to determine amount of times an asset occurs in a route

euromodeller

Imagineer
Is there a known method of determining how many occurances of an asset there are in a TANE route ?

e.g, how many times a particular tree is used in a route.

Not that I am aware of.

The config.txt file lists all the assets used but no matter how many times an asset is used it will appear only once in this file. I suspect that the information you need is buried in the various data files that now make up a route.

There was a 3rd party project under development, for TS12 I believe, that claimed to be able to do this and the programmer presented some quite promising screenshots which showed amongst other things the count for each asset used. This was before the release of TANE and nothing further has been heard.

I suspect that it will take someone with good coding skills and a lot of patience to be able to analyse the TANE route data files to extract that sort of data.

Not that I am aware of.

There was a 3rd party project under development, for TS12 I believe, that claimed to be able to do this and the programmer presented some quite promising screenshots which showed amongst other things the count for each asset used. This was before the release of TANE and nothing further has been heard.

That was me, and my software did indeed provide not only accurate counts of assets used, but also showed their locations and could take you to them on the map.

I gave up on this project because it is simply too difficult to keep up with the changes in the binary files. I put hundreds of hours of work into decoding them to get as far as I did, and simply cannot justify the effort to continue.

Regards,
-Mike

I gave up on this project because it is simply too difficult to keep up with the changes in the binary files. I put hundreds of hours of work into decoding them to get as far as I did, and simply cannot justify the effort to continue.

It was an impressive effort and your decision to abandon the project is fully understandable. I suspect that ultimately the solution will have to come from the N3V programmers in some future release.

Should I ever decide to resurrect this project, I am thinking that I would scale things back somewhat, at least initially. Aside from the challenge of reading the binary files, I was also running into a lot of difficulty rendering track splines correctly, and the code for showing and hiding objects in the map was getting unwieldy as well. So I think it might be better to start with a much simpler tool, and then see how it can evolve over time.

By scaled back, I mean that this version would not display a map. Instead it would simply show a tree grouping items by category and KUID, and a list showing instances of the KUID selected in the tree. The list will still show the map location of each item instance, so if you turn on the cursor position display in Surveyor, you should be able to navigate to any item quite easily.

The initial iteration would provide the ability to print a report of items used, but since it would not include a map display, it would not print track. I realize that is a highly desirable feature, but again, I am thinking about how we can make ‘something’ available sooner rather than later.

So I guess my question is, would such a scaled back tool still be useful in terms of asset analysis? I think it would be; and again, once a basis is in place, hopefully the tool can be expanded over time.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Regards,
Mike

Should I ever decide to resurrect this project, I am thinking that I would scale things back somewhat, at least initially. Aside from the challenge of reading the binary files, I was also running into a lot of difficulty rendering track splines correctly, and the code for showing and hiding objects in the map was getting unwieldy as well. So I think it might be better to start with a much simpler tool, and then see how it can evolve over time.

By scaled back, I mean that this version would not display a map. Instead it would simply show a tree grouping items by category and KUID, and a list showing instances of the KUID selected in the tree. The list will still show the map location of each item instance, so if you turn on the cursor position display in Surveyor, you should be able to navigate to any item quite easily.

The initial iteration would provide the ability to print a report of items used, but since it would not include a map display, it would not print track. I realize that is a highly desirable feature, but again, I am thinking about how we can make ‘something’ available sooner rather than later.

So I guess my question is, would such a scaled back tool still be useful in terms of asset analysis? I think it would be; and again, once a basis is in place, hopefully the tool can be expanded over time.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Regards,
Mike

Love your work Mike!
As to your question, I can think of uses for such a tool as a route builder. What will you charge for it?

Back