Download Station Clutter

sterrett

Remember the Withered Arm
For a few years now, the Download Station has been cluttered up by endless stupidity and people uploading rubbish multiple times. Have a trawl through the Routes/Layouts section - just how many copies of a "test" need to be uploaded before the author realises Auran's file upload system works? How many versions of British Midlands do we need?

Why does the DLS not perform a name check and apply a couple of simple rules? If the name has been used before, reject it. Updates of a route should be suffixed by a version number (eg v1, v2 etc). If the word "test" forms part of the name, then allow the upload but delete it after 48 hours. Simple programming steps to avoid clutter. Good idea?

The 'name used before' test wouldn't be a good idea unfortunately as it may affect commonly used items that are potentially used in different countries (the uploader would have to specify the country otherwise).

As for 'test' there's a possibility that it may have been uploaded by N3V in connection with a Trainz version test.

Shane

If all the uploads of the 'British Midland' route are tests by N3V for T:ANE then they're all failures as they only work in TS12!

I think you're talking sh1t Shane!

Rob.

The British Midlands ones aren't (and I don't believe they are labelled as test anyway) but that doesn't mean other 'test' assets aren't.

Interesting you mention British Midlands as I've noticed quite a few of those. I have a suspicion though that part of the reasoning behind that may actually be mobile version uploads.

Shane

The original British Midlands was a very good layout, unfortunately since TS12 SP4 (HF or whatever it was called) it became non viable in Trainz. It would be good if it could be updated to T:ANE standards.

Rob.

For a few years now, the Download Station has been cluttered up by endless stupidity and people uploading rubbish multiple times. Have a trawl through the Routes/Layouts section - just how many copies of a "test" need to be uploaded before the author realises Auran's file upload system works? How many versions of British Midlands do we need?

Why does the DLS not perform a name check and apply a couple of simple rules? If the name has been used before, reject it. Updates of a route should be suffixed by a version number (eg v1, v2 etc). If the word "test" forms part of the name, then allow the upload but delete it after 48 hours. Simple programming steps to avoid clutter. Good idea?
That would require an actual human employee, to download, and test, and critique, each and every route and asset ... and that person may be prejudiced, and reject a perfectly good route/asset. There are allot of garbage, worthless, and empty assets on the DLS, but an automated checker sorts out non-working assets

Look at all the garbage YouTube videos, of: "My precious baby, eating a Cheereo, off his spitty sticky finger"

Last edited:
Indeed (I think it was the original version that Kickstarter County came from if memory serves me right).

Shane

That was the Highland Valley which is still kicking around as well.

The original British Midlands from the earlier days was one of my favorite routes to drive.

Sadly there are many, many remakes/hacks up on the DLS. It's makes me wonder though if the latest iterations are from the mobile Trainz versions since those users use the DLS as a storage repository.

Mostly mobile uploads due to using the DLS as a storage facility, if they can afford an Ipad they can afford to get a proper computer and pay the proper price for Trainz and keep their crap on a hard drive where it belongs until they can actually create some thing usable!....if it's 3.8 or 3.9 it's probably from the tablet / ipad brigade. Think there is maybe half a dozen gadget users who actually produce decent stuff, the rest is all mostly junk.

Who created the original British Midlands?

Mostly mobile uploads due to using the DLS as a storage facility, if they can afford an Ipad they can afford to get a proper computer and pay the proper price for Trainz and keep their crap on a hard drive where it belongs until they can actually create some thing usable!....if it's 3.8 or 3.9 it's probably from the tablet / ipad brigade. Think there is maybe half a dozen gadget users who actually produce decent stuff, the rest is all mostly junk.

Who created the original British Midlands?

Yup! :D

I don't remember who created the original now it's been so long.

I also feel some of the frustration of the OP on this matter but all the "solutions" I have heard over the years would not work because they would expect that all creators have (a) common sense, (b) a totally logical approach to everything, and (c) English as their primary language, or would impose additional costs that we would all have to bear.

I feel that this "clutter" is the price we have to pay for the benefits the DLS brings. All of the alternatives would impose unwanted restrictions.

My opinions.

There is a British Midlands in the iPad Trainz2, plus Highland Valley and some other routes from early Trainz.

So I agree that they have been uploaded for storage and probably forgotten. N3V are not keen on pruning the DLS although it may have to occur one day.

I'm waiting to see what will happen when N3V raises the Trainz Build minimum to TANE levels. There will be literally 1000's of new broken assets and the CRG will not be able to fix them unless it gets some magic tools.

Darn! From the title of this thread I was hoping for download of benches, kiosks, boarding steps, baggage trolleys, and trash receptacles with which to decorate my stations. Never mind... :sleep:

What we need is a second DLS or an Upload Station for test purposes only where anything uploaded will be deleted after a certain time.
But it depends if the creators are only interested in the fact they like to see something of theirs on the net to brag about

I think there is an argument for fairly ruthless cleansing of the DLS. For instance there is no excuse for nonsense like the headlight effect on the car in the picture. But of course the author should be given the chance to correct the problem, since the car itself is quite acceptable. However I don't see how it could be achieved in a fair manner without human intervention.

Bad_Car_Headlights.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Mick

Last edited:
The first solution is to have a separate DLS or area on the current file library for tablet assets and routes.

Second solution is a root option to switch off by default (not each time you start CMP) anything not applicable to the PC version of Trainz.

As regards a cull, well probably controversial but at some point it will come, how many old trees that look transparent in TANE or 256 x 256 terrain textures which just look like a blob of pixels when applied to a route are taking up space? This is where a clean break from the past and move to a future version that does not hang on to backward compatibility might help.

"not applicable to the PC version of Trainz."

How do you determine this?

Someone with an iPad and a PC may want to sahre his content between the two.

The ultimate answer has to be ratings, and the ratings to be filtered by build #. So that something could rate 5 for version 3.8 (mobile) and another roue 5 for 4.6 (TRS2019) but you get to see ratings for your version.

Sure there will be some gaming of the system and some noses out of joint that their creation is voted lower than the expect, but the benefit for the community is obvious.

We're not there yet but we're close.

You can also filter by trainzbuild and sort by trainzbuild, so just like with the Internet - there's lots of stuff there you're not interested in, so search and filter on the stuff you are.

If a new filter was added for Mobile which covers all current mobile versions then the user could simply add NOT Mobile to their search.

Ken

"not applicable to the PC version of Trainz."

How do you determine this?

Someone with an iPad and a PC may want to sahre his content between the two.

The ultimate answer has to be ratings, and the ratings to be filtered by build #. So that something could rate 5 for version 3.8 (mobile) and another roue 5 for 4.6 (TRS2019) but you get to see ratings for your version.

Sure there will be some gaming of the system and some noses out of joint that their creation is voted lower than the expect, but the benefit for the community is obvious.

We're not there yet but we're close.

You can also filter by trainzbuild and sort by trainzbuild, so just like with the Internet - there's lots of stuff there you're not interested in, so search and filter on the stuff you are.

It's interesting mentioning filtering by trainzbuild Tony. Unfortunately whoever did the trainzbuild allocations for the mobile versions used the same trainzbuilds as at least one of the Mac versions (and possibly even T:ANE CE) which makes it harder to separate mobile content from PC/Mac content unless there's a separate identifier that the content is from the mobile version.

Shane

Back