New Railroad Show on the TV channel Science Channel

jordon412

33 Year Old Railfan
On Thursday nights at 10:00PM Eastern Time, the Science Channel has a new show: Impossible Engineering: Extreme Railroads. It is all about railroads that people have thought would be impossible to build. There were several railroads featured in the first episode, including:
The Goat Canyon Trestle, the world's largest all-wood trestle and was part of the San Diego and Arizona Eastern Railway, a.k.a. the "impossible railroad".
The Wang Pho Viaduct, located on the Burma Railway. This railroad also has a bridge over the River Kwai. It was built by World War II POW's and locals and was known as the "Death Railway", with the number of people who died is as high as 150,000. The whole route is no longer opened, only the section between Nong Pia Duk and Nam Tok Sai Yok Noi in Thailand is still open.
The West Highland Line in Scotland, focusing mainly on the section over Rannoch Moor, a large bog that the railroad has to cross over. You might recognize a specific bridge on the railroad, the Glenfinnan Viaduct, which has appeared in the Harry Potter series of movies as part of the route the Hogwarts Express takes from Platform 9 3/4 in Kings Cross to the station in Hogsmeade.
The Jungfrau Railway, which is mostly built in a tunnel and climbs from the Kleine Scheidegg to the Jungfraujoch station, the highest railway station in Europe, at 3,454 meters.
The Bergen Railway in Norway, which is the highest mainline railway in northern Europe.

EDIT: I just got back to my computer from doing a bunch of other stuff during which I realized I should have put this in the Trainz Community instead of Prototype Talk. Then again, this show is about the prototype, so maybe it goes here instead of Trainz Community. I don't know; Mods, whichever one it fits better in, move it there.

Last edited:
This series has already been shown in the UK and is worth watching. It can be a bit light in information in places but still glad I saw it.

Bump!

Season two of Impossible Engineering: Extreme Railroads starts Wednesday, May 1st at 9:00PM Eastern Time on the TV channel Science Channel.

Back