Dim Headlight Rule

stouthm

Get over it
Had it, lost it, can't find it. Allowed you to dim the headlights since the built-in were too bright. Please direct me as to where I can find it. Thanks.

JAGG, after reading your response I did a check of some of my locos because I also use build 90945 and what locos I checked all work fine with that rule. What I had to do was once they were moving and I had NO lights I right clicked and went into their setting and turned OFF headlights on and then turned headlights ON and the lights appeared and were dim. Why this worked I have no idea but I hope this works for you.

Peter, yes, that was it and thank you.

:cool: Thank you gentleman, for excellent Tip,

:eek: Had no idea anything like this existed for our Locomotive Lighting etc.

I downloaded and it appears to work OK.....Depending on how the Asset was made for lighting.......:D

JAGG, after reading your response I did a check of some of my locos because I also use build 90945 and what locos I checked all work fine with that rule. What I had to do was once they were moving and I had NO lights I right clicked and went into their setting and turned OFF headlights on and then turned headlights ON and the lights appeared and were dim. Why this worked I have no idea but I hope this works for you.

Peter, yes, that was it and thank you.

Thanks a lot for Your suggestions, but it simply doesn't work for me. I really have enough, got disgusted by this damned T:ANE again :-/ Better go to play War Thunder. Grrrr.

Go play War Thunder, get your aggression out and then go back to T:ane and start over. The rule seems to be working for everyone but you so do a fresh start, not reload the game but a fresh start with the problem and see if you can do something different and get it working. In game at the top right there's a wrench looking icon and clicking on that drops down a menu and in that menu there's a line for dim headlights. Try various things. Good luck.

In game at the top right there's a wrench looking icon and clicking on that drops down a menu and in that menu there's a line for dim headlights.

That menu option is built into TANE without installing the rule (at least in my SP2 HF3 beta) so is this rule now obsolete?

Excellent question. I'll fool around with the various options tomorrow and see what I come up with. The answers will be in this thread.

That menu option is built into TANE without installing the rule (at least in my SP2 HF3 beta) so is this rule now obsolete?

Those menu options never worked for me, so I am glad to have this rule. It works to an extent, but it seems that older assets that are made with a high specular setting still glow dazzling white. But it is an improvement and I appreciate it. I am on build 90955.

BTW an easy way to try it out is to also install the Set Driver Conditions rule which allows you to set time-of-day in real time.

Mick

Sorry, does not work. I am using TANE SP2 HF3 beta build 93871.

I installed it and added it into the session rules. There are no controls in its properties window and not even a set of basic instructions. In Surveyor and Driver a small icon appears in the top left of the screen that looks like (.). Clicking it does nothing, pressing the period key (a logical guess based on the icon) did nothing.

The rule doesn't have any options to set in surveyor. In driver there is a window in the top left, which allows to set time, timerate, weather, weatherchanging and to change between cab and dcc mode. All this could be done using the QuickDrive Rule, which probably is a better choice.

Peter

This is why I stay with ts12 less problems other than the lighting and graphics aren’t as good as tane but will do great if you can adjust the lighting right hope that makes since but I have a low end pc so tane won’t work for me to be honest they should have made that game for people like me because not everyone can just go out and buy a top end pc lol

Thanks everyone for checking in. I just did a fast test using two different locos from different authors and came to this conclusion. Without the rule the drop down menu options DO NOT work. With the rule you can adjust the lights , bottom right on screen, before using the AI. Using any of the commands will not let you change the settings you have chosen. In conclusion, choose your setting before issuing any commands and you should be okay. You need the rule. If I'm wrong please let me know so that I'm not leading other astray. Thanks.

I just did a fast test using two different locos from different authors and came to this conclusion. Without the rule the drop down menu options DO NOT work.

I have tested the drop down headlight control menus commands with and without the rule installed in a session and there is no difference. What does make a difference is individual locos. It seems to depend on how the loco creator constructed the headlight glare.

In my case, without the rule, the lights can't be controlled at all. With the rule, the menu items do not work but the light switch in the "Set_Driver_Conditions" rule does work. Also it is true that, as pware states, the rule only seems to work with some locos. For example it works with my Battery Loco, that (I think) uses Andi's loco script, but the 1938 Tube Stock headlights are always at full brightness and look like the Death Ray from Mars. I should have also said in my first post that the important thing about the "Set_Driver_Conditions " rule is that the light switch actually works! BTW the "Set_Driver_Conditions " can be a bit unreliable. Sometimes the UI doesn't appear in the session. I have found no explanation for this.

In the picture you can see that the Battery Loco's headlight casts a quite acceptable light on the brick wall but the Tube Stock headlights look terrible.

Headlights.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Mick

Last edited:
As I stated earlier I only used two locos, by N8phu and Dave Snow, and suspected that different locos would get different results. I would suggest that if you want dim headlights that you should test the locos that you would like to use before placing them on your route. Again, thanks to everyone for checking in.

I finally succeeded with JTG Correct Vehicle Lights, I also found the Set Driver Conditions rule functional and very useful, only html window looks wrongly formatted.

Back