TRS2019 - Default Content?

Found this via googz:

http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/TurfFX_Effect_Layer

It's more accessible than the Nvidia description, if only because it is described (in detail, too) in Trainz terms. Not clear how much control there is over countour shading, though one can vary the field effect with a range of (pre-deteremined?) textures. One thing is clear, though: it will add to the burden on the GPU, which will probably determine its use/popularity, at least to begin with.

Can't help but see it in terms of Oblivion (!). The grass was very effective there - at least as a selling point - if only because you waded through it a lot. How it will suit the longer vistas as seen from a speeding train is another matter. I agree that long splines of grasses trackside are unrealistic. I think the genius of good landscaping in Trainz depends upon the power of suggestion: after all, we only see what we need/want to see or are used to seeing. Still, it will be interesting to see how the turf plays out in Tr2019.

Last edited:
An interesting document although I "glazed over" much of the technical details.

Those additional tags in the config.txt file are just overwhelming. The days of editing config.txt with a text editor are disappearing fast, I can see why you will need a UI to do the job.

At the very end of the document was the hardware specs.

As an NVIDIA-provided visual effect, there are some hardware requirements and limitations which apply to TurfFX.
1. TurfFX is currently supported only for Windows.
2. TurfFX requires a GPU with substantial amounts of VRAM. Whereas Trainz will typically run (albeit slowly, or at reduced settings) on below-spec computers, TurfFX may need to be disabled entirely if the GPU is insufficient.
Trainz offers a fallback mode which effectively replaces the TurfFX layer with an equivalent Clutter layer. This results in a weaker but still acceptable overall visual result. Alternatively, the user may opt to disable TurfFX entirely, in which case the TurfFX Effect Layers become invisible.

It will be interesting to see if my Nvidia 750Ti, which was near the top of the range when I got it, will be up to the job or if it will be time to upgrade again.

Back