TRS2019 - Default Content?

Terrain tab = Topology tab (no name change).

We're currently working on some additional bulk update tools that may make it into the release (or possible make it in as temporary tools until the UI is updated to make them more user-friendly).

Terrain tab = Topology tab (no name change).

We're currently working on some additional bulk update tools that may make it into the release (or possible make it in as temporary tools until the UI is updated to make them more user-friendly).

Thanks for the clarification. That sounds promising, hope the tools make it in, Thank you.

I must admit, as an aficionado of scenic routes the new terrain/texturing techniques sound very powerful.

And (tongue in cheek) must be scope for a spin off product with all that good looking grass - N3V Golf And Course Designer!

I think that someone has already made a start on that possibility. There are (or were) golf course scenery assets available on the DLS.

I must admit, as an aficionado of scenic routes the new terrain/texturing techniques sound very powerful.

And (tongue in cheek) must be scope for a spin off product with all that good looking grass - N3V Golf And Course Designer!
I am wondering what the hit will be to the gpu ? my current 80 mile route I'm building in Tane is incredibly veg heavy and unless it could be easily changed over I'd never even try to update it to 2019, i think a lot more people would feel the same. If the routes are very limited , the appeal factor to make people change over will be too.

Probably not as much of a hit as you might think, the grass is generated by TurfFX which is an Nvidia plugin, and think of all the overheads saved by not having grass splines, some of which are real frame rate hitters, all over the place!

As posted in the other thread:

Who knows where people get this information from - certainly not the people who know exactly what is going to be included (which is definitely more than a Canadian route pack). And as we've said many times before, freeware via the Trainz Download Station is one of the key strengths of Trainz, so that isn't changing either. Payware is part of our business model, and that is here to stay as well, but we're conscious of making things as affordable as possible, while also recognizing that the product is not mass market (therefore, simple economics dictates that prices are necessarily higher than they would be if the market were bigger).

----------Like button activated-----------

Probably not as much of a hit as you might think, the grass is generated by TurfFX which is an Nvidia plugin, and think of all the overheads saved by not having grass splines, some of which are real frame rate hitters, all over the place!

This was my observation with my small test route, but when we finally have a real version to test where we can bring in all existing content it will be worth testing. The real world can be a lot different than a test environment as we know.

I pretty much abandoned using grass splines several routes ago. Apart from the performance hit unless you disguise the square edges carefully they just look too regular shape. Got better results with a mixture of JVC and rmm individual assets randomly placed.

One question about this turffx: will it be used beyond trackside? If it is spread over all the terrain, there could be a loss of the shading that creates the landscapes. I'm not too confident of my own landscaping, so that I do admire those creators with this talent and the landscapes they create, which have been greatly enhanced by the extended vistas of TANE. I for one would not like to see these landscapes reduced to featureless carpets of a - most likely - unreal bright green.

You can see landscapes reduced to bright green now in TS12 (and earlier versions) when the creator decides to use that single texture as their only texture.

From my reading of the "teaser" releases of the new features, the "turffx" consists of objects, like grass assets, are spread over existing textures where-ever the creator wants to use them. One of my current techniques is to use normal grass scenery objects close to the track only. Further away from the track I use different texture to simulate the effect of grasses.

But, as it is the case now, it is in the hands of the individual creators.

I grant that not all landscaping is effective. My understanding of the turffx is that it is created by nvidia software, no doubt following instructions of some sort laid on the terrain. (It would be handy to know how this is in fact done.) Judging from discussions elsewhere here, it seems that the turffx is intended to actually replace trackside splines. My fear us that some creators may be tempted to spread the turf everywhere - on the principle that you can never have enough of a good/new thing. What I fear in this case is that the fx could overlay and obliterate existing landscape shading.

Perhaps as I asked above if someone in the know could give us an idea of how it all works - or is intended to work - it would certainly help us guage the effect it will have on terrain in general.

Judging from discussions elsewhere here, it seems that the turffx is intended to actually replace trackside splines. My fear us that some creators may be tempted to spread the turf everywhere - on the principle that you can never have enough of a good/new thing. What I fear in this case is that the fx could overlay and obliterate existing landscape shading.

Yes, I fear that that could (and probably will) happen with some inexperienced creators - we all have to start learning somewhere. Just like today some creators will see highly detailed scenery assets that were created using SketchUp and decide to place them everywhere.

But what can one do? With SketchUp created assets at least, the size of the .cdp file can give you ample warning to avoid them but with the future TRS2019 routes there may be no such warning sign. Perhaps we will simply have to avoid certain creators until they learn some of the "tricks of the trade".

I pretty much abandoned using grass splines several routes ago. Apart from the performance hit unless you disguise the square edges carefully they just look too regular shape. Got better results with a mixture of JVC and rmm individual assets randomly placed.
Absolutely agree, also, many splines for shrubs etc look awful on steep slopes .

Ah not relevant to me, I never use grass splines ...precisely because of the frame rate hit and performance issues.

Ah not relevant to me, I never use grass splines ...precisely because of the frame rate hit and performance issues.

Absolutely agree, also, many splines for shrubs etc look awful on steep slopes .

Yes on both accounts. I have tried and removed grass clumps and splines more than once on my routes.

The new TurfFX look really good, having played with it myself in the Dev build. If it's okay with Tony and crew, I'll upload some pics.

Back