Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TRS2019 - Default Content?

I pretty much abandoned using grass splines several routes ago. Apart from the performance hit unless you disguise the square edges carefully they just look too regular shape. Got better results with a mixture of JVC and rmm individual assets randomly placed.
    TANE...Resistance Is Futile

One question about this turffx: will it be used beyond trackside? If it is spread over all the terrain, there could be a loss of the shading that creates the landscapes. I'm not too confident of my own landscaping, so that I do admire those creators with this talent and the landscapes they create, which have been greatly enhanced by the extended vistas of TANE. I for one would not like to see these landscapes reduced to featureless carpets of a - most likely - unreal bright green.

Blog Entries

You can see landscapes reduced to bright green now in TS12 (and earlier versions) when the creator decides to use that single texture as their only texture.

From my reading of the "teaser" releases of the new features, the "turffx" consists of objects, like grass assets, are spread over existing textures where-ever the creator wants to use them. One of my current techniques is to use normal grass scenery objects close to the track only. Further away from the track I use different texture to simulate the effect of grasses.

But, as it is the case now, it is in the hands of the individual creators.
    A member of the "Party Machine". Now if only I could remember where they are holding the party!

I grant that not all landscaping is effective. My understanding of the turffx is that it is created by nvidia software, no doubt following instructions of some sort laid on the terrain. (It would be handy to know how this is in fact done.) Judging from discussions elsewhere here, it seems that the turffx is intended to actually replace trackside splines. My fear us that some creators may be tempted to spread the turf everywhere - on the principle that you can never have enough of a good/new thing. What I fear in this case is that the fx could overlay and obliterate existing landscape shading.

Perhaps as I asked above if someone in the know could give us an idea of how it all works - or is intended to work - it would certainly help us guage the effect it will have on terrain in general.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by phimat View Post
    Judging from discussions elsewhere here, it seems that the turffx is intended to actually replace trackside splines. My fear us that some creators may be tempted to spread the turf everywhere - on the principle that you can never have enough of a good/new thing. What I fear in this case is that the fx could overlay and obliterate existing landscape shading.
    Yes, I fear that that could (and probably will) happen with some inexperienced creators - we all have to start learning somewhere. Just like today some creators will see highly detailed scenery assets that were created using SketchUp and decide to place them everywhere.

But what can one do? With SketchUp created assets at least, the size of the .cdp file can give you ample warning to avoid them but with the future TRS2019 routes there may be no such warning sign. Perhaps we will simply have to avoid certain creators until they learn some of the "tricks of the trade".
    A member of the "Party Machine". Now if only I could remember where they are holding the party!

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    I pretty much abandoned using grass splines several routes ago. Apart from the performance hit unless you disguise the square edges carefully they just look too regular shape. Got better results with a mixture of JVC and rmm individual assets randomly placed.
    Absolutely agree, also, many splines for shrubs etc look awful on steep slopes .
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

Quote Originally Posted by clam1952 View Post
    Probably not as much of a hit as you might think, the grass is generated by TurfFX which is an Nvidia plugin, and think of all the overheads saved by not having grass splines, some of which are real frame rate hitters, all over the place!
    Ah not relevant to me, I never use grass splines ...precisely because of the frame rate hit and performance issues.
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

Quote Originally Posted by phimat View Post
    (It would be handy to know how this is in fact done.)
    Full description: NVIDIA TURF EFFECTS:

Quote Originally Posted by SailorDan View Post
    Full description: NVIDIA TURF EFFECTS:
    Just the thing. Many thanks.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by dangavel View Post
    Ah not relevant to me, I never use grass splines ...precisely because of the frame rate hit and performance issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by dangavel View Post
    Absolutely agree, also, many splines for shrubs etc look awful on steep slopes .
    Yes on both accounts. I have tried and removed grass clumps and splines more than once on my routes.

The new TurfFX look really good, having played with it myself in the Dev build. If it's okay with Tony and crew, I'll upload some pics.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    TS12 Build: 61388
    T:ANE Build: 90955

Found this via googz:

http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/i...X_Effect_Layer

It's more accessible than the Nvidia description, if only because it is described (in detail, too) in Trainz terms. Not clear how much control there is over countour shading, though one can vary the field effect with a range of (pre-deteremined?) textures. One thing is clear, though: it will add to the burden on the GPU, which will probably determine its use/popularity, at least to begin with.

Can't help but see it in terms of Oblivion (!). The grass was very effective there - at least as a selling point - if only because you waded through it a lot. How it will suit the longer vistas as seen from a speeding train is another matter. I agree that long splines of grasses trackside are unrealistic. I think the genius of good landscaping in Trainz depends upon the power of suggestion: after all, we only see what we need/want to see or are used to seeing. Still, it will be interesting to see how the turf plays out in Tr2019.
    Last edited by phimat; Yesterday at 10:36 AM. Reason: clarifying...

Blog Entries

An interesting document although I "glazed over" much of the technical details.

Those additional tags in the config.txt file are just overwhelming. The days of editing config.txt with a text editor are disappearing fast, I can see why you will need a UI to do the job.

At the very end of the document was the hardware specs.

As an NVIDIA-provided visual effect, there are some hardware requirements and limitations which apply to TurfFX.
    1. TurfFX is currently supported only for Windows.
    2. TurfFX requires a GPU with substantial amounts of VRAM. Whereas Trainz will typically run (albeit slowly, or at reduced settings) on below-spec computers, TurfFX may need to be disabled entirely if the GPU is insufficient.
    Trainz offers a fallback mode which effectively replaces the TurfFX layer with an equivalent Clutter layer. This results in a weaker but still acceptable overall visual result. Alternatively, the user may opt to disable TurfFX entirely, in which case the TurfFX Effect Layers become invisible.
    It will be interesting to see if my Nvidia 750Ti, which was near the top of the range when I got it, will be up to the job or if it will be time to upgrade again.