The Backshops Work In Progress Thread

Bad news to everyone who’s been dreaming about the Sierra Railway #3 pack. You’re gonna have to keep dreaming. I just sent a message asking about it, and they said it’s been canceled due to issues with the meshes. It looks like we’re stuck with the discontinued Erecting Hall model forever.

There will be as follows

Standard Southern (both short and long tenders)
Southern Cresent (both short and long tenders)
Southern Cresent Limited (long tender)

the Southern Cresent will have two versions of the engine. One with all black wheels and one with white walls. Versions will also have different main rods on the valve gears.

Will there be one with the Coffin feedwater heater? Or a streamlined one?

A few pages back on this thread, I believe Trainman said that there were no plans for a streamlined Ps-4 1380 because it would require completely new meshes, textures etc. for the engine and tender.

Bad news to everyone who’s been dreaming about the Sierra Railway #3 pack. You’re gonna have to keep dreaming. I just sent a message asking about it, and they said it’s been canceled due to issues with the meshes. It looks like we’re stuck with the discontinued Erecting Hall model forever.

It was also never official announced on our facebook page. Only projects we are currently working on to completion are posted there.

There will be as follows

Standard Southern (both short and long tenders)
Southern Cresent (both short and long tenders)
Southern Cresent Limited (long tender)

the Southern Cresent will have two versions of the engine. One with all black wheels and one with white walls. Versions will also have different main rods on the valve gears.
Are there plans for both the Baker Valve Gear and the Walschaert Valve Gear?

Correct. Not sure what the body differences were as the diagrams with the baker valve dont seem to differ much from the walschaerts counterpart

In order to implement the three variations of drivers, would you have to create three locomotive assets, where one of each has one of the three different variations of drivers?

How would you implement the loco's different texture skins in-game? Would we be able to change between Crescent Limited and Southern lettering via a scripted option?

Ya but thats a simple bogey change. Each engine with have all black wheels and white walls

Well, here is a simple question, did all of them PS-4s have Hancock 3 Chimes or did some have Southern 3 Chimes?

Don't get me wrong I prefer a Hancock whistle on the PS-4 but that's just my question

How would you implement the loco's different texture skins in-game? Would we be able to change between Crescent Limited and Southern lettering via a scripted option?
Different engines. Not dealing with texture libraries because its steam.

Well, here is a simple question, did all of them PS-4s have Hancock 3 Chimes or did some have Southern 3 Chimes?

Pretty sure all the Ps4s has Southern 3's

Last edited:
Different engines. Not dealing with texture libraries because its steam.

Pretty sure all the Ps4s has Southern 3's
Don't get me wrong I prefer a Hancock whistle on the PS-4 but that's just my question

Stras90, being the main sound man of your team, will create an original Hancock 3 chime recording for the Ps-4 that is different from the recording used for the Heavy 2-10-2?

I always thought the Ps-4's used a Hancock, but where can it be found that tells us that the Ps-4's used the Southern 3 chime?

The "Sounds of 1401" recording features a Hancock 3 chime. I think that's where the idea that all of the Ps-4's have Hancocks comes from. I've read that the record was actually of 4501 running with the Hancock installed. With the info available, would it be possible/safe to assume that a Ps-4 Pacific would have had either a Hancock 3 chime like in the record or the standard 3 chime like most Southern locomotives?

Back