The Backshops Work In Progress Thread

Beez neez, looking forward to see the completed model; I've pretty much been a fan of small/medium sized locomotives so this one will definitely fit the bill! Great work thus far on all your models.

Southern Railways Alco built Ps-4 Heavy Pacific.

Worked from 3pm yesterday to 7am today to get the detailing done on the front.

s7qHW7i.jpg

Last edited:
man, she is a good looker,trainman, it is too bad that the real thing probably will never see steam again because of the museum she is kept in refused.

Are there plans to use a different Hancock long bell 3 chime recording than used on your Heavy 2-10-2 on 1401.

I wonder if a Crescent Limited version is going to be included.

I'm sure you have your reasons. Regarding the 4 engine and 3 tender variants you intend to build, is it going to be like this?

Engines

Variant 1: Crescent Limited lettering (1393-1396)
Variant 2: Southern Lettering (1397-1409)
Variant 3: 1401 Smithsonian
Variant 4: 1380 Streamlined

Tenders

Variant 1: Long Tender w/ six-axle bogies
Variant 2: Short Tender w/ four-axle bogies
Variant 3: 1380 Streamlined Tender

Is this your vision for the variants of the Ps-4 Engines and Tenders?

Dunno myself to be honest. You have the tenders right exvept varient 3. Thats the short tender. The long tenders will be Southern and Cresent Limited. But one thing at a time.

Doing the streamlined Ps-4 1380 requires a completely new model, which is mostly likely why it will not be included. Once you finish the main mesh, engine and tender of the unshrouded Ps-4, multiple skins for the model can cover the regular, Crescent Limited and Smithsonian versions of the engine itself.

I'm currently modeling (or rather trying to model) the matching Crescent Pullmans for Chance's pacific there. It's slow going, this is my first real model that is being made from the ground-up in blender, and on top of that, so far material has been scarce, at least in my searches thus far. At the moment, I've only found a single place which lists what a consist would look like for the crescent, but it's a single consist and doesn't give me much of a picture. Currently I'm not even completely sure the car I'm building would've served on the crescent (I mean, I'll still finish it because I need the practice, but it would hurt to find out I'm actually making it for nothing more than a stand-alone). Hopefully I'll have something worth showing in the near future, however with Chance building like that, I'm gonna need to step up my game.

I'm currently modeling (or rather trying to model) the matching Crescent Pullmans for Chance's pacific there. It's slow going, this is my first real model that is being made from the ground-up in blender, and on top of that, so far material has been scarce, at least in my searches thus far. At the moment, I've only found a single place which lists what a consist would look like for the crescent, but it's a single consist and doesn't give me much of a picture. Currently I'm not even completely sure the car I'm building would've served on the crescent (I mean, I'll still finish it because I need the practice, but it would hurt to find out I'm actually making it for nothing more than a stand-alone). Hopefully I'll have something worth showing in the near future, however with Chance building like that, I'm gonna need to step up my game.

Have you tried contacting the Southeastern Railway Museum in Duluth, Georgia? They've archived Bill Purdie's collection of stuff. If there was a place to go to find the info you need, other then the Southern Railway Historical Society, I'd go there.

Doing the streamlined Ps-4 1380 requires a completely new model, which is mostly likely why it will not be included. Once you finish the main mesh, engine and tender of the unshrouded Ps-4, multiple skins for the model can cover the regular, Crescent Limited and Smithsonian versions of the engine itself.

Ya thats not happening. Will be seperate models.

So just the 1401, and the other unshrouded Ps-4's, and two tender models, one with two skin variations, and Pullman equipment?

Back