The Backshops Work In Progress Thread

Sorry for bumping an inactive thread.
I know TBS is inactive, but whatever happened to the SD49 concept teased by Southern1581 back in 2018? It looked really neat and I wondered what happened to it. The concept (renders?) are on page 13 if anyone wants to see it.
Thanks!

Hey, sorry for the delayed response, admittedly I don't visit the forums terribly often these days.

I am still actively making content in various forms, which I suppose is something. I haven't touched the SD49 in a hot minute; we took that model off of the Carrabassett Valley roster last year and since then it just hasn't been a priority, though I'd honestly be hard-pressed to say it was ever a particularly high priority to begin with. The model has had a decently significant amount of work done to it since the renders you mentioned back on page 13, though if you were to see it now you'd probably (rightly) think that the model has kinda gone backwards in terms of progress. The reason for this was that I did a test export of the model (I wanna say this was 2019, may have been early 2020, don't remember for sure), and this export showed that the model had some rather considerable scaling issues. For example, since the engine shares the SD50's frame, it should be 71' 2" long at the pulling faces, however, when compared to a SD70M, which comes in at 72' 4", the SD49 was 2-3' longer. The scaling issues on the broad strokes of the engine have largely been corrected now, and during that process I decided to strip a lot of the original detail parts off and rebuild them. I believe the most recent project to that end was the handrails, which are currently about half finished.

It's one of those things that'll be finished eventually, but for the moment I have no plans for it. Whenever I pick up my A&SE project again is probably when I will start back on the SD49's, since at this point the model is pretty much a one-off for that railroad (alternatively, the CBVR does use SD50's, and if I decide to go and fully model those instead of doing them as skins, the SD49 will probably make an appearance as an offshoot of that). Until then though, I have more pressing projects to work on in terms of models and skin work that will be taking priority as I try and get the roster of the CBVR taken care of. Appreciate the interest though, I didn't think there really was that much interest in that model to start with, never mind having anyone still wondering about it all these years later

Thank you Southern1581! I have a known interest in wacky and odd locomotives (SD45X anyone?) and wondered if you were gonna do some fun skins with it, like SP, DRGW, BN, UP etc. Since CBVR is fictional, you wont have any rivet counters on your tail about a fictional locomotive!

I would hope I wouldn't have the rivet counters on me for a unit like that but you never know lol. As far as fantasy skins go, I believe I had planned to do C&NW, UP, and ARR, maybe some D&RGW as well. The SD45X ironically enough is planned, and I'll probably come back to that particular model once I get most of the big number group skins made for the Carrabassett. I'm planning to start with 5740 and then move on to the SP-spec units, though I'd like to find some proper drawings of the units before I go diving in on them

First Time using a forum so don't really know how this works, anyway, would anyone be able to send me the Central Of Georgia Northern Pack?, if not then that's perfectly fine.

Just thought I might stop by and see how things are going, ps, good luck on your move to Brazil trainman7616!!!!! You will always be remembered by the trainz community as one of the greatest developers, farewell!

I would hope I wouldn't have the rivet counters on me for a unit like that but you never know lol. As far as fantasy skins go, I believe I had planned to do C&NW, UP, and ARR, maybe some D&RGW as well. The SD45X ironically enough is planned, and I'll probably come back to that particular model once I get most of the big number group skins made for the Carrabassett. I'm planning to start with 5740 and then move on to the SP-spec units, though I'd like to find some proper drawings of the units before I go diving in on them

Heh, I've got my own RR, the CD&N. If a blank model is released I'm gonna try a CD&N SD49 :)

Hey Trainman7616,
I am trying to find <kuid:78915:102659> for a route I down loaded <kuid:274553:100321> Southern Dreams.

Thank you for any help you can provide,
Scott

Hey Trainman7616,
I am trying to find <kuid:78915:102659> for a route I down loaded <kuid:274553:100321> Southern Dreams.

Thank you for any help you can provide,
Scott

Apologies, as I dont look at the forums anymore. Here is the asset.https://mega.nz/file/C7JC2JjJ#3pzJBPBXoc3TbWd8eQcbRiiKj2EpVvbr4LW1l0G5uj0

dead forum, lol

Forums seems pretty active to me, if you are meaning this thread then yes, it is quite dead. I dont really do anything for trainz anymore. My interest for the game kinda died after the announcement/release of the garbage cash grab that is TRS2022.

I think it is a matter of outlook. I have not gone for the subscription yet and may not ever. But I understand a small company that would like to have a guaranteed income stream for the year. So, I don't begrudge it, I will just wait until March or maybe later to see if they have a "Platinum" version down the road. It's our choice as buyers and they are just giving us options. I won't get the permanent FCT, and some of the Early adaptor offers or whatever, but at this point I have more than I ever seem to use, so it is not a big deal at all. And no, I don't consider myself a "fanboy", just someone who understands business.

I might consider getting TRS22, but I'm just trying to wait for the price to drop or hopefully I can buy it with a new Trainz Points coupon (my last one just expired). Just doing it because I'm skipping TRS19 and also because of that one German route with the new ICE 4. Just maybe give it some time and you might change your mind at some point, but I'm not forcing on you, but it's really up to you to decide.

Back