The Backshops Work In Progress Thread

Still gotta make the ARN and new coupler, as well as iron out some of the textures, but the new version of the locomotive itself is in game.
In_Game.png

Last edited:
I was SO close to saying that

Is he just trying to drive him away like the other fools did with ANL? (which your site has his stuff ironically)

Shutting down content creators is something I never, ever would spend any time doing. I was interested in the update to the UP equipment once hosted on NARM, and wanted to know some basic facts about what's new in the upcoming updates to the UP stuff.

Anyway. An EMD SD49 is a very interesting concept, Southern1581. I checked and there exist some historical accounts of such a loco, but none proven to be true, it seems.

Last edited:
When EMD produced the 645F series prime movers, they marketed two locomotive series which used this prime mover, the SD/GP50, and the SD/GP49. The 50 series used the 16 cylinder version of this prime mover, producing 3500-3600 hp, while the 49 series used the 12 cylinder version, packing 2800 hp. The 50 series sold 492 SD50 units and 278 GP50 units, while the 49 series only sold 9 GP49's to the Alaska RR, though the 6 Southern RR GP39X's were later upgraded to GP49 specs. The SD49 was the only one never sold. An SD49 was later created though, when a pair of the former ARR GP49's were given 6 axle bogies when they were sold off to South America (can't remember exactly which country or railroad), creating a SD49 of sorts, however that is not what this model represents. This model is roughly how I imagined the SD49 would have appeared had it been ordered new, thus it shares the same frame and similar carbody features to the SD50, while having the smaller GP49 style radiator section. I'm making it for use on my fictional rr's, though I will be making a few versions for real world railroads to fit the sort of fictional history I've made for these units. A reskin kit will be provided as well.

When EMD produced the 645F series prime movers, they marketed two locomotive series which used this prime mover, the SD/GP50, and the SD/GP49. The 50 series used the 16 cylinder version of this prime mover, producing 3500-3600 hp, while the 49 series used the 12 cylinder version, packing 2800 hp. The 50 series sold 492 SD50 units and 278 GP50 units, while the 49 series only sold 9 GP49's to the Alaska RR, though the 6 Southern RR GP39X's were later upgraded to GP49 specs. The SD49 was the only one never sold. An SD49 was later created though, when a pair of the former ARR GP49's were given 6 axle bogies when they were sold off to South America (can't remember exactly which country or railroad), creating a SD49 of sorts, however that is not what this model represents. This model is roughly how I imagined the SD49 would have appeared had it been ordered new, thus it shares the same frame and similar carbody features to the SD50, while having the smaller GP49 style radiator section. I'm making it for use on my fictional rr's, though I will be making a few versions for real world railroads to fit the sort of fictional history I've made for these units. A reskin kit will be provided as well.
Cool bit of information, look forward to seeing the finished model.

fo4Fq
fo4Fq
SRCCherryHillTrainz.jpg

Using Mr. Lerro's SRC 90 as the test locomotive, we're pleased to announce the Strasburg Rail Road project! Stay tuned...

The SD49 is neat. Not sure what kind of spacing you have on the hood, but it's likely they'd have pushed the clean air room further back as on other _9 locomotives since the smaller prime mover allows for a smaller engine compartment. Seems that they liked to keep the extra space behind the cab if possible.

Here is the image I cobbled together from trainiax drawings to give myself something to work with on the SD49. SD50 style carbody with a smaller engine room and GP49 style radiators.

kpvHzct.png

fo4Fq
fo4Fq
SRCCherryHillTrainz.jpg

Using Mr. Lerro's SRC 90 as the test locomotive, we're pleased to announce the Strasburg Rail Road project! Stay tuned...

Nice. Will this route be just Strasburg, or will it be expanded all the way to the Harrisburg Transportation Center?

Last edited:
I was going to ask why the heck what I said was featured, also, many videos of PS-4 whistles I found have Hancock style whistles, mainly the ones that SOU 630 & GSMR 1702 wear
Just some info, 1702 has a Replica Ps-4 whistle, her old one was an actual brass one specially made, and was highly accurate. The whistle we use on 630 is a Virginia & Southwestern 3 Chime, or the “Ps-4 knockoff”. They were Southern shopbuilt 3 Chime Long bells. SOU whistles are something I am somewhat well versed in. The sounds of 1401 or a recording of 2839 with the Ps-4 would be your best bet, that or T&P 610 or A&WP 290.

When googling images of the Ps-4, many images can be found of Pacifics that had their whistles clearly shown, On some of those images, the whistles appeared to be a different model than a Hancock 3-chime long bell; the shape and profile of the whistle is more in line with the Crosby and standard 3 chimes the Southern Railway used.
SOU6691PS4.jpg

The bell on the whistle of this Ps-4 is too short to be a Hancock long-bell. It has a profile more akin to a Crosby and similar whistles.
sr1404.jpg

The whistle on this Ps-4 has a longer bell than the first shown; more in line a with a flat-top Hancock long-belled 3 chime.

Back